Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:01AM

OK, they did get gold in Mixed Doubles Curling, a new event this time, and generally not considered "real curling" by the purists yet. Since that is the only curling medal they got, they may think more highly of mixed doubles now.

This is the frozen equivalent of "Casey at the Bat". No joy in Mudville.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/casey-bat

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:27AM

And Canada came in second to the U.S. in women's hockey. What is the world coming to? :D

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:16PM

Easily explained:

Canada was less valiant in the pre-existence.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 02:07AM

Lol.

Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 03:41AM

Good one - they have to settle for the Terrestrial Medal...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:19PM

I'm unpatriotic I guess....didn't pay much attention to it.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:27PM

We're into straight hair now

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:27PM

With most of the Russians not qualified to compete in the 2018 Olympic winter games, it opened up a vacuum for athletes of other countries to win more medals.

To think that Norway, a country with only 1.6% the population of the United States, could swoop in and rack up the medal count as they did, well, it is quite surprising!

Norway, thank Russia.

Germany, thank Russia.

Canada, thank Russia.

United States, WTF happened?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:31PM

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:51PM

I was in Canada during the 2006 Winter Olympics (and actually got to spend several days in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics), and was shocked at how much emphasis there was on Curling. I'd try and find skiing and skating events and they'd just get passing mention in between the Curling "action". I actually got bored out of my mind watching the Olympics while in Canada. Found it much more enjoyable to watch while in China during the 2014 Olympics, and now in Denmark during these Olympics.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:57PM

Curling is extremely boring to watch for most Canadians. If you actually play it, however, you may find that it's quite exciting. In many Canadian cities, children get to do curling as part of the school curriculum. Around eighth grade, we'll hop on the bus to the curling rink, twice a week for about a month. Once you gain some skill, it is much more fun than many winter sports. It's analogous to bowling but with a much greater intensity.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 04:59PM

I'll second that. There's a similar problem with sailing in the summer olympics. There is a lot of nuance and strategy that is simply lost on people who have never participated in the sport.

Trying to slide on ice in that awkward stance and slide a 56 pound rock down the ice with pinpoint accuracy is a humbling experience.

I had a couple of the US women's hockey players as students back in the day. They acquitted themselves very well. For no rational reason whatsoever, it made me proud. It's not like I had anything whatsoever to do with their success.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 02:10AM

Curling is as exciting as bowling?

Wow.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:19PM

I guess it’s an acquired taste, if you don’t understand it.When I first saw it, I couldn’t figure out if it was like bowling or like pool , like when they knock out opponents discs( whatever they’re called)
Cricket is another sport that I can’t figure out

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 11:24PM

Unless cats are involved I don't want to know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.