Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MarySue ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:20PM

A video of thousands of snow geese hanging out at Nauvoo this week. Could this be like the seagulls in Utah in the 1800's. Geese make a mess. Tourist below - beware. HAHA

https://www.facebook.com/ann.larsen.54/videos/10213613867654331/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:35PM

Yes, the geese are horrible here in the midwest. When I walk my dog she gets geese poop in her paws and it's nasty. It's an ongoing struggle to get those geese away. Some people hunt the nests to break the eggs because it's against the law to molest the geese themselves trying to get them out of your yard or pond. They follow water routes like streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, etc. They have become a terrible problem. Wish we could shoot a few for dinner.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 01:23PM

Here in Western Washington, when some dams were being built on the Columbia, some well meaning but ignorant people thought that geese nest that had eggs be moved out of the area where the reservoirs would flood.

The nests were moved to various water sources that never had a resident population of geese, maybe transient but not resident.

Well the eggs hatched out, the weather wasn't too bad, there wasn't any mature birds to teach them to migrate, so they stuck around.

Now the geese have established a resident population that never migrates creating a mess of parks and lakes.

The WA Dept of Agriculture pulled teeth and several years of studies and meetings finally got approval to round up some of the geese and euthanize them. The meat was given to food kitchens and other low income food banks.

There was the normal squawking about the program but it was just a temporary solution to a environmental disaster where some people screw up things when they think they can help mother nature do a better job.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 02:47PM

That wonderful, seldom considered, Law of Unintended Consequences.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 02:52PM

Probably written by "Murphy."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 09:13PM

For many years, on the Connecticut shore, we have had a problem with Canada Geese which have found it more convenient to stay year round rather than commute from Canada to the southern states or beyond.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 09:23AM

In my neck of the woods we have been overrun with Canuckistan geese.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 09:54AM

Here in Cheyenne the city bought a Border Collie to disperse them in the parks. So, there is one guy whose sole job is to take care of the dog, and drive it around to the various parks and chase the geese. It's really fun to watch. And I really wish I had that job.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 05:39PM

Have lots of Canadian geese winter where I live, but its rural so we don't get the problems with parks. They feed in the corn fields and spend the nights on the rivers and streams. This winter several hundred snow geese stayed and for me it was a real treat. Bald eagles love snow geese. Had a pair of bald eagles all winter nearby. Saw a few hundred sandhill crane arriving yesterday, they only stay for a few weeks and then move on. Snow geese should be leaving here soon but they sure made my winter enjoyable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.