Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 03:46PM

With various message streams regarding ancestry, heredity, family lines, which of the various services would be considered the best?

Any recommendations?

The stream on Jews in CO and NM in Spanish families has me intrigued, I'm from northern NM and come from Spanish heritage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 05:11PM

One of the local TV station in Salt Lake is doing a report about these kits. I can't remember which one it is but I think it is on tonight. If I see another ad for it, I'll post the station and the time.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 09:58AM

The station that ran a report on these testing kits was Fox 13 in Salt Lake City. It must have been on last night, Feb. 26th. I missed it. The report is on their website. It mainly reported on the privacy concerns about what happens or can happen to your information.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 04:03PM

For the record, I did an Ancestry test recently and if I refer someone they get a discount ( i think it ends up costing either 69 or 79 bucks with the discount).

If you are interested let me know and I can figure out how to get you the referral code somehow.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 05:21PM

Here's on opinion on the subject:

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-dna-test-23andme-ancestry-national-geographic-2017-4

I did the Ancestry test, 'cause my TBM mom got it for all 3 of her kids for a xmas present.
I wasn't terribly impressed.

Nothing I didn't already know, other than an odd 1% Asian contribution...which doesn't fit my white-and-delightsome body, and isn't in ANYBODY else in my family.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 01:43AM

Proud Neanderthal heritage here. 23andMe is a 'go-to' start.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 02:15AM

How much does it cost?

My son is a wannabe Irishman, every March 17, and he and his wife always have a big party. I doubt that he's more than 1/16 Irish, but I don't have the heart to tell him.

Not knowing, we Americans can be whoever we want to be!

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 01:03PM

Ancestry is $99. But often you can catch them on sale for $69.
I had my DNA done with Ancestry and have no complaints.

Posted by: Lindt ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 04:43AM

Why I don't like these companies:

* DNA is only the result of a fraction of your ancestry.
* The results and interpretation they give is questionable.
* They probably sell on your DNA to health insurers, and are building up a database on people like Facebook and Google do.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 04:21PM

* They probably sell on your DNA to health insurers, and are building up a database on people like Facebook and Google do.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 10:55AM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With various message streams regarding ancestry,
> heredity, family lines, which of the various
> services would be considered the best?
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> The stream on Jews in CO and NM in Spanish
> families has me intrigued, I'm from northern NM
> and come from Spanish heritage.
One that reports your Neanderthal DNA, like 23andme. I found out I am 2.8% Neanderthal and I have 160 relatives that I now know of and can communicate with, all over the world.

Posted by: Moe Howard ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 10:03AM

I find the whole process interesting. BTW, I had 271 Neanderthal traits. A first cousin popped up on my relative list and I contacted him and asked why I didn't know him. It turns out he was adopted (more family secrets) and we had a good time over text and email finding our family. We have the same Great Grand parents.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 11:26AM

I hope to have your experience one day. My father was adapted and never knew his birth parents / relatives. All his life, he always wondered if he just ran into a brother, sister and other family member whenever we took vacations.
He died a few years ago, before I paid attention to ancestry DNA,
They weren’t all over tv as they are now.
That would of made his day to get his own true results back.
I did my mom’s and mine last year, mainly to try to find someone from my fathers side by elimination.
She had what we expected, except she had ALSO some 10 % middle eastern and 6% Jewish , 46 % Southern Europe , that we didn’t know.
I had 34% British, and 16% Western Europe,which I knew, but 11% Jewish , 16% Eastern Europe, but only 6% Greek, which my mom only got 35%, her dad was supposed to be 100% Greek, that’s all he ever talked about, turns out he probably had some middle eastern in him that he didn’t know about or was hiding.
I also had 4% Russian , few other traces.
So, I figured the Eastern European and Russian was on his side, since it didn’t show up on hers.
I was confused about the Jewish part though, how could I get 11% Jewish if my mom is only 6%?
I hope I find some of my relatives on my dads side.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 01:15PM

Below is a sampling of what my friend received back from 23andMe:

Your Reports Summary
This is an overview of your 23andMe reports. It provides brief descriptions of your results but does not provide detailed information that may be important for understanding your results. 23andMe reports do not include all possible variants or account for other factors related to these conditions and traits.
Log into your 23andMe account for more details about each of your results. If you have concerns about your results, talk to a healthcare professional.
Your Reports Highlights
Certain results are highlighted because they may be unique or contain important information relevant to your health. The reports in your 23andMe account can provide more details about each of these results.
Genetic Health Risk Reports1 highlighted of 5 reports
• ●
Age-Related Macular DegenerationIncreased risk
Carrier Status Reports0 highlighted of 42 reports
Wellness Reports2 highlighted of 8 reports
• ●
Lactose IntoleranceLikely tolerant
• ●
Saturated Fat and WeightLikely similar weight
Ancestry Reports2 highlighted of 5 reports
• ●
Ancestry Composition49.0% Southeast Asian
10 populations
• ●
Your DNA Family1186 DNA Relatives
Traits Reports3 highlighted of 19 reports
• ●
Asparagus Odor DetectionLikely can smell
• ●
Bitter TasteLikely can taste
• ●
Sweet TasteLikely prefers salty
Genetic Health Risk Reports 1 highlighted report of 5 reports available
These reports tell you about genetic variants that may increase your risk of developing certain health conditions.Consider talking to a healthcare professional if you have a personal or family history of one of these conditions or have concerns about your results.
Our reports do not include all possible genetic variants that could affect these conditions. Other factors can also affect your risk of developing these conditions, including lifestyle, environment, and family history.
• ●
Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Increased risk
• Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
Variants not detected
• Celiac Disease
Variants not detected
• Hereditary Hemochromatosis (HFE Related)
Variants not detected
• Hereditary Thrombophilia
Variants not detected
Carrier Status Reports 0 highlighted reports of 42 reports available
These reports tell you about variants that may not affect your health, but could affect the health of your future family. For the conditions included in these reports, a person can be a carrier even if they don't have a personal or family history of the disease. Consider talking to a healthcare professional before making any major lifestyle changes or if you have any concerns about your results.
If you see "Variant not detected" for a Carrier Status report, it means you're not a carrier of the tested variant(s). Keep in mind that while our Carrier Status reports cover many variants, they don't include all possible variants associated with each condition. So it's still possible to be a carrier of a variant not included in our test.
• ARSACS
Variant not detected
• Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum with Peripheral Neuropathy
Variant not detected
• Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease
Variant not detected
• Beta Thalassemia and Related Hemoglobinopathies
Variant not detected
• Bloom Syndrome
Variant not detected
• Canavan Disease
Variant not detected
• Congenital Disorder of Glycosylation Type 1a (PMM2-CDG)
Variant not detected
• Cystic Fibrosis
Variant not detected
• D-Bifunctional Protein Deficiency
Variant not detected
• Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase Deficiency
Variant not detected
• Familial Dysautonomia
Variant not detected
• Fanconi Anemia Group C
Variant not detected
• GRACILE Syndrome
Variant not detected
• Gaucher Disease Type 1
Variant not detected
• Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ia
Variant not detected
• Glycogen Storage Disease Type Ib
Variant not detected
• Hereditary Fructose Intolerance
Variant not detected
• Herlitz Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (LAMB3-Related)
Variant not detected
• Leigh Syndrome, French Canadian Type
Variant not detected
• Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2D
Variant not detected
• Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2E
Variant not detected
• Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2I
Variant not detected
• MCAD Deficiency
Variant not detected
• Maple Syrup Urine Disease Type 1B
Variant not detected
• Mucolipidosis Type IV
Variant not detected
• Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (CLN5-Related)
Variant not detected
• Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (PPT1-Related)
Variant not detected
• Niemann-Pick Disease Type A
Variant not detected
• Nijmegen Breakage Syndrome
Variant not detected
• Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss and Deafness, DFNB1 (GJB2-Related)
Variant not detected
• Pendred Syndrome and DFNB4 Hearing Loss
Variant not detected
• Phenylketonuria and Related Disorders
Variant not detected
• Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 2
Variant not detected
• Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata Type 1
Variant not detected
• Salla Disease
Variant not detected
• Sickle Cell Anemia
Variant not detected
• Sjögren-Larsson Syndrome
Variant not detected
• Tay-Sachs Disease
Variant not detected
• Tyrosinemia Type I
Variant not detected
• Usher Syndrome Type 1F
Variant not detected
• Usher Syndrome Type 3A
Variant not detected
• Zellweger Syndrome Spectrum (PEX1-Related)
Variant not detected
Wellness Reports 2 highlighted reports of 8 reports available
These reports help you understand how your DNA influences your body's response to environmental factors like diet or lifestyle. Consider talking to a healthcare professional before making any major lifestyle changes or if you have any concerns about your results.
• Alcohol Flush Reaction
Unlikely to flush
• Caffeine Consumption
Likely to consume less
• Deep Sleep
Less likely to be a deep sleeper
• Genetic Weight
Predisposed to weigh about average
• ●
Lactose Intolerance
Likely tolerant
• Muscle Composition
Common in elite power athletes
• ●
Saturated Fat and Weight
Likely similar weight
• Sleep Movement
Likely average or less movement
Ancestry Reports 2 highlighted reports of 5 reports available
o East Asian & Native American
50.1%
 Southeast Asian
49.0%
 Native American
0.9%
 Broadly East Asian & Native American
0.2%
o European
49.1%
 Northwestern European
38.0%
 British & Irish
16.9%
 French & German
9.4%
 Broadly Northwestern European
11.7%
 Southern European
6.6%
 Iberian
1.2%
 Broadly Southern European
5.4%
 Broadly European
4.5%
o South Asian
0.3%
 Broadly South Asian
0.3%
o Unassigned
0.5%
• Maternal Haplogroup
B5b1a'b
• Neanderthal Ancestry
Fewer Neanderthal variants than 66% of customers
• Paternal Haplogroup
See report
• ●
Your DNA Family
1186 DNA Relatives
Traits Reports 3 highlighted reports of 19 reports available
These reports are a fun way to learn about how your DNA influences your physical appearance, preferences, and physical responses. The predictions are based on current knowledge of how genetic factors influence our traits.
• ●
Asparagus Odor Detection
Likely can smell
• ●
Bitter Taste
Likely can taste
• ●
Sweet Taste
Likely prefers salty
• Cheek Dimples
Likely no dimples
• Cleft Chin
Likely no cleft chin
• Earlobe Type
Likely detached earlobes
• Earwax Type
Likely wet earwax
• Eye Color
Likely darker eyes
• Finger Length Ratio
Likely ring finger longer
• Freckles
Likely little freckling
• Hair Curliness
Likely straight or wavy
• Light or Dark Hair
Likely dark
• Newborn Hair Amount
Likely little baby hair
• Photic Sneeze Reflex
Likely no photic sneeze reflex
• Red Hair
Likely no red hair
• Skin Pigmentation
Likely lighter skin
• Toe Length Ratio
Likely big toe longer
• Unibrow
Likely little or no unibrow
• Widow's Peak
Likely no widow's peak

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 05:37PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 01:43PM

All of the traits and descriptions on mine were eerily correct.
I’m just upset and my heads deflated that someone else got “ elite power athlete”.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 04:50PM

tumwater Wrote:
> The stream on Jews in CO and NM in Spanish
> families has me intrigued, I'm from northern NM
> and come from Spanish heritage.

A prospective "Welcome to the tribe!" tumwater... :D

If you go to YouTube and do a search for: "Dr. Henry Abramson, Sephardim," a number of really interesting lectures will come up, some of which I have already seen and highly recommend, and others which I have yet to see.

Dr. Abramson (who is a historian; he teaches history at university level) is in the midst of a new series right now, titled "The Sephardic Diaspora."

I just finished listening to Part 3: "Who Was the Chida?"...and I am looking forward to listening to Part 1 and Part 2 of this new series (I often listen to his lectures when I am working in the kitchen).

[EDITED TO ADD: I have just finished Part 1, which is a well-done and well-presented overview of this history, but may be a bit overly detail-rich as an easy Intro. In my life, I have always (instinctively) looked for the "most easily accessible door" to enter a subject new to me, and this optimum "new door" has often proven to be sideways or peripheral to the main subject I am trying to learn. For me, I think, right now, that Part 3 would have been an easier-for-me "entry door"...but I also haven't heard Part 2 yet, so consider this a preliminary report which is subject to future revision. And to clarify: mostly I am listening to these lectures first, as I work in the kitchen or wherever, and I look at the video screen when there is something I really want to see at that moment. Then later, when I am NOT working in the kitchen or whatever, I actually VIEW the video. :) ]

[EDITED TO ADD: I just finished Part 2, the title of which is going to sound both odd and arcane: "Who Was Samuel Usque?," a person I had never heard of before a few hours ago---and very probably no one reading this has probably ever heard about before either. Regardless, Part 2 of this series is a pivotal presentation, in that it explains not only "why" and "how" Portugal became so mixed-up in all this (which is a very important part of the story), but FAR more importantly, it explains the HUMAN story which WAS the living reality of the Jews, and the "hidden Jews"/"Christians," of the pre-Inquisition (including the Expulsion) period...the Inquisition itself period...and the [mostly] post-Inquisition period (which includes the Spanish colonization of what is now the southwestern United States).

If you want to know the human story of the people who actually lived those lives, Part 2 of this series is where to begin---even if you, like me, had never heard the name "Samuel Usque" before today.]

If your brain initially works better with facts, dates, and data points, then my recommendation is that you begin this series with Part 1.

If you are more interested in the human story of the PEOPLE who did these things, and WHY they did these things, then I recommend beginning with Part 2.

The other important item of note is: as part of this new series, there will be (in a week or two, if I am remembering correctly) an evidently to-the-point presentation specifically about the "Crypto-Jews" [meaning: "secret Jews"..."hidden Jews"...Marranos...anusim (this is the word in Hebrew)...pick whatever term you feel most comfortable with].

Dr. Abramson is exceptionally good at presenting what is often very convoluted history in understandable and interesting ways to general audiences---I understand he is also markedly popular with his university undergraduate and graduate students as well---and I am very much looking forward to what he has to say about the hidden Jews of northern New Mexico and southern Colorado.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 07:48PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 08:18PM

I did 23andMe. I thought my most interesting result was being a carrier for cystic fibrosis.

Some of my nurse friends theorized that this disease meant incest and inbreeding were in a victim’s background.

I’m blaming all of the polygamy on my dad’s side.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 08:49PM

Dorothy Wrote:
> Some of my nurse friends theorized that this
> disease meant incest and inbreeding were in a
> victim’s background.
>
> I’m blaming all of the polygamy on my dad’s
> side.

I have never heard of this before...and I thank you, Dorothy, for this post.

This possibility might, in future years, be of great value for me to know.

Thank you!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 09:06PM

>Some of my nurse friends theorized that this disease meant incest and inbreeding were in a victim’s background..

Not necessarily. The gene is actually quite common.

https://www.cff.org/What-is-CF/Testing/Carrier-Testing-for-Cystic-Fibrosis/
In the United States, the number of people who carry a CFTR gene mutation is about:

1 in 29 Caucasian-Americans
1 in 46 Hispanic-Americans
1 in 65 African-Americans
1 in 90 Asian-Americans

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 12:51PM

I did 23&me, no surprises, Irish and Eastern European (Polish). Smidges of other European nationalities like Scandinavian, German, but these were far back in time. Those Vikings went everywhere. I did reconnect with the daughter of a cousin in Canada I had lost touch with, but most of the many names they gave me were pretty distant cousins of some degree.

I did not opt for the health stuff, too much of an anxious hypocondriac to be told I MIGHT get something, especially something that cannot be cured. My husband thinks their health stuff is questionable and he knows much more about science than me.

It was kind of fun to do, but I really cannot relate to someone who shared a many times great-grandparent with me from 200 plus years ago. But I am not much into genealogy either.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 01:23PM

Slightly OT, but Ancestry did a couple a couple of great ads, one Olympics and one around the 4th of July:

http://creativity-online.com/work/ancestrycom-americas-greatness-comes-from-everywhere/53861

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1PMt8bnz34

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.