Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 12:53AM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865694528/Dave-Checketts-son-posts-video-of-parents-opening-assignment-to-serve-as-mission-president-and.html

The son that posted this article (above) made some more of his own history this weekend.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900011979/the-zones-spence-checketts-resigns-following-dui-arrest.html

It is wonderful to see Americans traveling throughout the earth teaching parents how to properly raise their families.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 04, 2018 01:05AM

This is only Brother Checkett's fourth DUI.

Jesus taught us to forgive 7 X 70. This good son therefore still has over 485 DUI's to go, before we can cast aspersions.

Going 120 in a 70 mph speed zone while stoned is really not all that serious. At least, not on a weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3sYMXlL9Y

Date: March 04, 2018 01:13AM

We should honor those who uphold the laws, even if they happen to drink while driving. This non-Mormon Officer is anal, and should be reprimanded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6HvvPC2hL0

Date: March 04, 2018 01:43AM

Joseph Smith, being a sin-laden young man, kept the Lord's pattern of utilizing criminals to get His work rolling forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVOrQg8Wq0M

Nephi was a murderer. Ammon dismembered the arms of any who valiantly served the King.

Moroni visited a boy several times, without the knowledge or prior permission of his parents.

Without sin and sinners, Christ would be forced to create endless Creations until one finally mutated, finally giving Him permanent employment.

Soon, robots blessed with infinite truth will guide us onward and upward. Be patient, all.

Stop trying to pry open the eyes of TBM's. If Ravi Zacharias couldn't, certainly we cannot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7oFuTPdPMI

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 06:53AM

His fourth DUI?! How on earth is this guy allowed to walk free? As someone who has lost family to a drunk driver, I think this guy should be beaten senseless and locked up to rot in prison. I can forgive one, with some strong conditions, but not a multiple repeat offender.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:31AM

^^^ditto this^^^

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 10:13AM

Here in TN the rules seem to be relaxed regarding DUI's. A power plant operator I know got arrested for his 4th DUI. He was required to spend 60 days in jail. Since he had 20+ years at the plant, he had acquired 4 weeks vacation per year. He took his jail term December and January and used up his vacation time in jail for two years. It was a bit unnerving that he had access to dangerous equipment. They could never catch him at work. He finally claimed and received disability. The plant was happy to do that as a way of discharging him, even though it cost the plant money.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 08:00AM

The article doesn't mention a breathalyzer test. Do Utah law-enforcement officers carry breathalyzers? In my part of the country, whatever the driver blew on the breathalyzer would be a part of the news article.

To me, driving 120 mph is just arrogant. This is a man who has no respect for himself or others. Combined with the DUIs, this man is an accident waiting to happen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 08:16AM

From wikipedia ...
==================

"David W. Checketts (born 1956) is an American businessman. Checketts is the founder and chairman of SCP Worldwide. He also sits on the board of JetBlue Airways and was the original owner of the Major League Soccer club Real Salt Lake. He was the CEO of Legends, which operates One World Observatory.

Checketts attended the University of Utah and later earned a master's degree in business administration from Brigham Young University. After graduation, he joined the Boston-based consulting firm of Bain & Company. At 28, he became president and general manager of the Utah Jazz, making him the youngest chief executive in National Basketball Association (NBA) history. He then spent a year as the general manager of NBA International, where he worked to increase the league's presence around the world.

He became president of the New York Knicks in March 1991, and in his four seasons as president, the team made it to the Eastern Conference Finals three times and went to the NBA Finals in 1994. The team set records for attendance, television ratings and revenue during his tenure, but the club failed to win the NBA Finals.

He went on to become president and chief executive officer of Madison Square Garden, the company that owns the New York Rangers, New York Knicks, New York Liberty of the WNBA, Madison Square Garden and the MSG television network. In 1997, MSG acquired Radio City Music Hall. From 1998 to 2001, the Rangers failed to make the playoffs four straight seasons despite having one of the highest payrolls in the NHL.

In September 2001, Checketts founded SCP Worldwide, a consulting and investment service firm for sports teams. In 2002, SCP acquired SportsWest Communications, a syndicated broadcaster of college sports. In July 2004, SCP bought into Major League Soccer and established a team in Utah, Real Salt Lake, which began play in April 2005. On September 29, 2005 it was announced that SCP had officially signed an agreement to purchase the St. Louis Blues.

In 2009, Checketts was in an ownership group along with talk radio host Rush Limbaugh that was publicly linked to a potential purchase of the St. Louis Rams of the National Football League (NFL); after numerous NFL players objected to Limbaugh owning an NFL team, Checketts dropped Limbaugh from the group and never made a bid for the team.

Checketts was hired in 2011 to serve as a consultant for new Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores. Checketts has been Chief Executive Officer of Legends Hospitality Management, LLC since January 2012.

Checketts is married to Deb Checketts and they are the parents of six children. He is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He was featured in the book The Mormon Way of Doing Business.

In 2007, Checketts was called as president of the church's Yorktown New York Stake, succeeding Gary Crittenden.

Checketts is chairman of the Advisory Board of the Clinical Neurosciences Center at the University of Utah Hospital

His son, Spencer, works as a Radio Host on "The Big Show" on 1280 KZNS (AM). He is also an anchor of Gameday Coverage of Utah Jazz for 1280/97.5 The Zone, NBA Analyst for KJZZ-TV and Root Sports Utah.

In July 2018, Checketts will begin a three-year term of service as president of the LDS Church's England London Mission."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 08:16AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 11:19AM

Do MPs get to play the stock market?

Plus in England, he can sleep in and still make the market opening!

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:15PM

Probably has time to put together investors to buy an English Premier League football team in the three years in London

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 12:42PM

He wouldn't be the first Mormon to get a DUI. Remember the infamous Kevin Garn, whose very bishop negotiated a settlement for an under age girl that Garn had been involved with? He was once arrested for DUI when he was serving as bishop. Did anything happen to him, church-wise? No. Why? It's in the last name.

"Garn initially pleaded not guilty and was scheduled to go to trial Dec. 20, 2006, but changed his plea that day and pleaded guilty to alcohol-related reckless driving. The plea was entered about six weeks after he was elected to the Utah Legislature for a second time. He previously had served from 1991-2002.

"Garn was an LDS bishop at a Weber State ward for married students at the time of the incident, according to a knowledgeable source speaking on condition of anonymity."
[...]
"Garn resigned March 13 from the Legislature. Two days earlier, after being informed The Salt Lake Tribune planned to publish a story, Garn made an emotional confession on the House floor, admitting to hot-tubbing with a [naked] teenage girl in 1985 and paying her $150,000 in exchange for her not revealing the story."
[...]

"Garn resigned March 13 from the Legislature. Two days earlier, after being informed The Salt Lake Tribune planned to publish a story, Garn made an emotional confession on the House floor, admitting to hot-tubbing with a teenage girl in 1985 and paying her $150,000 in exchange for her not revealing the story.

"Both were nude during the incident; Garn was married and her boss at the time."

In the LDS church, people bend over backwards for you if you are blessed to have certain surnames.

Fascinating, Jim.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 01:49PM

Between church and business obligations it looks like the father had very little time to spend with his 6 kids.

Now he and his wife are going on a mission, shortchanging the grand kids too.

Yes, I know alcoholism is an illness on one of the Alleles but still...

Perhaps the father should take his son fishing for a couple of weeks and stay the hell out of church meetings.
It won't cure the son but it would help him considerably.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:28PM

I don't buy into the "alcoholism is a disease " model. It can certainly be an addiction but are addicting things a disease? ALS is a disease, arthritis is a disease, MS is a disease .Alcoholism is no more of a disease than being addicted to cigarettes IMNSHO.As far as the multiple DUIs this guy needs jail time and adult,probation for many years where AP&P can show up any time they want and search his home for even one drop of booze . in violation - go directly back to jail. Get fall down drunk all you want at home or call a taxi rich boy . No sympathy for this guy at all.None.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 02:25PM

Which messes up your life more: Alcoholism or Mormonism?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 02:33PM

If I had to be a TBM I'd probably be an alcoholic too...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 06:47PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which messes up your life more: Alcoholism or
> Mormonism?

Alcohol can mess you up for life. Mormonism, forever.

M@t

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:23PM

David Checketts was my SP and instrumental in my resigning from TSCC. His first attempt was reversed by the FP on my appeal. When he tried a second time to try me, I quit.

Date: March 04, 2018 04:29PM

Did he drive you to drink?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:53PM

No. You can read about the whole story in the bios - "Before the Sanhedrin". It is true that I did later have two glasses of champagne at the wedding, in Boulder, of one daughter. I did not drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 04:53PM by rhgc.

Date: March 04, 2018 07:11PM

OMG, I just read your account.

This Checket dude seems like real a-hole and his son is shouting it from the roof tops through his actions.

Date: March 04, 2018 07:34PM

I echo Elyse's comments.

close to absolute power corrupts close to absolutely.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 06:02PM

I went to elementary school and highschool with him and was a friend of his younger brother. I was always amazed how he turned out. He came from a very down to earth family, grew up on the corner of 5th south and second west in Bountiful. Bountiful Second Ward. He was funny and well liked but e was certainly not an exceptional intellect or dedicated student. I always figured he made a S__t load of money working for Bain. He was certainly no spiritual giant either. I was really surprised when I saw the fake church leader he has become. My take is his son had too much given to him from daddy's wealth. Get a DUI, it will get taken care of.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 07:38PM

SonOfLaban: "Jesus taught us to forgive 7 X 70." This good son therefore still has over 485 DUI's to go, before we can cast aspersions.
----

It is my understanding that Jesus taught to forgive 7X70 the REPENTANT. You can't give the repentant and non-repentant the same reward.
P

Date: March 04, 2018 07:58PM

This David Checketts has interesting kids.

There also was an ugly incident involving Nate Checketts in 2000 which hit the papers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.