Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 08:56AM

I was going through my mission box o'crap, still deciding what I should do with all the stuff from my days in Brasil. I have a few dozen letters that I sent home but can't find the letters that I received and kept; they'd be much more interesting to me now. None of my family has any interest in this stuff.

I also have some photos of members and elders I knew in a scrapbook and some other stuff that is interesting to look at but of no value. Still can't put my hands on my journal but I think it will show up sometime.

I found a couple of weeks ago one of those pocket-sized hymnals, in almost new condition. I have no musical talent and have no clue where I got it or who gave it to me. I wouldn't have paid for it myself. I wrote my name and address on the inside page but that's the only thing.

I decided that I'd see if there was any book collectors on eBay that might be interested and sure enough, after a week of being listed there I sold it for a whopping $5.99 plus shipping—after paying for shipping, I’m going to net about $4.00.

The address it’s going to is a PO Box in Hilldale, Utah which is the headquarters for the Fundamentalists. Makes me wonder if it’s just a collectible or if they still use that old style book on a regular basis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:18AM

Hmmm, I guess computers/cell phones are now allowed for their members? I know that not all the residents of Hilldale are FLDS, but browsing on eBay seems like a banned activity at one time. The times, they are a changin'.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:24AM

Fundamentalists usually resist changes in liturgy, hymnody included. Conservative Protestants I know, for example, don't care for amplified "praise" music.

Me-mike,you-knot, I put my old cultic material in the recycle bin. I don't want to reinforce people attached to bad religion, or inadvertently entice the curious to get involved.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:24AM

Good for you you were able to find a buyer. Now those books will be a treasured part of someone's library collection.

And a collectible!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 03:19PM

All my mission memorabilia, including my wacky neckties now resides at the Smithsonian.

Just kidding. Congrats on your selling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.