Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Utahnomo ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 03:29AM

I have been out of the church for about 15 years now and the longer I am out the less I think about the church. I live in Utah Valley so I never completely forget about the church because its evil tentacles are everywhere here.

I did my part yesterday to make absolutely certain a person I met never joins the morg.

I am a buyer and yesterday a sales rep for one of my largest suppliers came to visit for work purposes. We went to lunch and while there we talked. He brought up the church but not by asking me if I am a morgbot but by mentioning one of the morgbots at work.

I laid it out for him about the church. I told him the church is an organization that has no tolerance for non morgbots. I told him that they believe that if you are not baptized a morgbot and don't go through the temple you are never going to heaven. He was in disbelieve. He had no idea that is how the church is. So I gave him as many gory details as time permited.

When I was done he had a whole new attitude about the church and he will never ever let a missionary or morgbot into his house to talk religion.

I did my part to assure that at least one person and his family will never join the morg. Plus he travels all over the US and talks to a lot of people daily. I am sure he will spread the good word about the church when he has the chance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 05:17AM

FYI, an even faster way to do it is to compare the Mormon church with the JWs. Most nevermos are familiar with the JWs and don't want to have anything to do with them. "The Mormon church is a high-control church similar to the JWs. The church controls your time, a good chunk of your money, what you wear, what you drink, what movies you see, and even your underwear." That would be enough to scare off most people.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 07:08AM

That was kind of you to give him the details.

But Mormonism does teach everyone goes to heaven, almost everyone. Excepting 'sons of perdition.'

It teaches heaven as a caste system, that each soul will attain some piece of in the afterlife. Only temple worthy married Mormons can hope to see the shining face of god himself. The lessers will be content in the lesser kingdoms.

There was a running joke at church for years that if people knew how lovely and wonderful even the lowest kingdom is in the hereafter, that we'd be killing ourselves to get there. A macabre joke, but meant to say everyone goes to heaven (except for the Judases.)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 09:06AM

Well...the mormons claim everyone has an afterlife, but *not* that "everyone goes to heaven."

Their "heaven" is the celestial kingdom. The other "lower" kingdoms aren't "heaven." Their "terrestrial kingdom" will be on the earth, not any "heaven." Their "telestial kingdom" is lower than the earthly kingdom, where inhabitants are destined to be servants to those in "higher" kingdoms for eternity. And then, of course, there's "outer darkness," reserved for people like us (who supposedly had a "testimony" and then denied it).

So, no -- they don't claim "everyone goes to heaven."

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 09:48AM

All three tiers are levels of heaven, per Mormon doctrine.

They are separated, not conjoined is the way I was taught.

The higher kingdom people may if they so choose come down to visit their lower kingdom relatives and friends (tee hee.) But the lower level kingdoms can't visit the Celestial.

Yet they are all tiers in heaven, per Mormon teachings.

Outer darkness is for the sons of perdition, like Judas. He knew Jesus was Jehovah, and denied him unto death. Christ said of him it would be "better for that man had he never been born." That was the "son of perdition" we were taught in my youth that qualified for outer darkness.

Sure, 'apostates' are considered as such. But we don't believe in Mormon dogma. So that is a different category altogether IMO, even if everything else is the same. If you don't believe, you don't believe.

I know for myself I believe in a literal heaven. Not sure about a hell. Hell may be the annihilation of evil souls, per my rabbi's beliefs and teachings. Hitler is one example of someone so evil that God in his mercy will destroy his soul rather than allow him to exist in the afterlife. To me that would be the ultimate hell, is total destruction of the spirit.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 12:23PM

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 01:41PM

I always tell never mos that Mormons think they believe in this and that, but the reality is somewhere else. They don't even know their own religion. Those who said they had convos with active Mormons, say that Mormons told them that they believe in forever families and being kind....great joke

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.