Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 10:55AM

My mind went spinning with this tidbit I read on one of Steve Benson's posts-- Religion:A Fundamental Form of Mental Illness.

"Like pushers trying to entice their customers to inhale the “wonder drugs of deity” they peddle, Watters says that “[i]n order to sell their product, god-talking salesmen do everything possible to prevent the believer from growing up emotionally and psychologically, manipulating the greedy egocentric infant in us all with preposterous promises of eternal bliss in the hereafter.”

Can't argue with that, but then . . . What's in it for the dealer?

My brother the Area Seventy, ex MP, ex SP etc clearly gets all of his considerable self esteem from from being the "salesman" as mentioned above. He is only able to maintain his high position by finding new and everlasting ways to be able to look down on others and be warmed by his superiority. His stroked ego is his pay-off---as I would say is the same for Oaks, Bednar, Wendy Nielsen, et al. The large monetary stipend is nice, but the massive ego stroking is the "drug" they buy with the profits from the "drugs" they sell--the drug that keep their followers hooked and the adulation rolling in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 11:11AM

They get their fix by knowing they are better than you.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 11:35AM

The ward was so happy to have one of our family back that they have never stopped showering her with adoration. The things she posts on fb on vomit producing. I know most of it is for show. She loves to give talks as it is another opportunity to get the adoration. When she first went back, I thought of going back myself just to take some of the adoration away from her so she would see what it is all about.

When her mormon moms tell me what a wonderful person she is, I'm like, "AND WHO DO YOU THINK RAISED HER? None of you!"

When I went to the conference center with her about 10 years ago to go to GC so she wouldn't have to go alone, I was SHOCKED by how the ushers were talking to people and how the CC is set up. It is all about adoration. They think they are rock stars. Wasn't much difference between going to see a concert than it was to go to GC except the entertainment was so much better at the concert.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 06:05PM

Reminded of the time I rode to a funeral with someone who had been recently released from being stake pres. The comments I heard, which I don't think were all of them, were:

1. Where will they send you to be mission president?

2. Nice to have a rest before your next big assignment?

3. Hey pres, I bet they are missing you.

4. Nice to see you. What do you think the church has planned now for you?

Was interesting to watch. Family members, friends, all flocking to this person's side with adoring eyes and wanting an audience with him and his neglected wife just hanging by his side.

Made me think of the even higher ups in the church. I'm sure they get drunk on this NEVER-ENDING-ADORATION AND ATTENTION.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.