Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:49PM

"They are not Orientals. They are from the near East...it is not impossible that there could have seeped across the Bering Strait a little Oriental blood as claimed by some people. But basically these Lamanites, including the Indian, are the descendants of Lehi, who left Jerusalem 600 years BC."

Spencer Kimball, "The Lamanite, Our Burden, Their Burden," 1967

"The evidence assembled to date suggests that the majority of Native Americans carry largely Asian DNA."

"Book of Mormon and DNA Studies," LDS Essay, 2014

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 07:20PM

I know they changed "white" and delightsome to "pure" and delightsome as they were correcting the most correct book . . .

But, did they ever change "dark, filthy, and loathsome" people to anything, like, say "sun-kissed, earthy, and fun?"

And why did my Auto-Correct keep changing correct to corrupt?

Posted by: Programmed ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 07:51PM

Because it is the most corrupt church on the face of the earth.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 09:55PM

hehe

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 04:41PM

They should have looked closer to the findings of the apostle way back when who concluded The Book of Mormon was probably mostly fiction? What was his name - Robert Something?

Date: March 09, 2018 06:01PM

B.H. Roberts

:)

Date: March 12, 2018 01:07PM

Thanks!

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 05:14PM

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 11:59PM

There are TBM's out there who still like to argue the DNA thing. Their arguments are convoluted, but they cause many to hope that Native Americans, or some of them anyway, are Lamanites after all.

Many are hoping that the discovery of the newly found Mayan megalopolis will save them. Perhaps they will eventually find a Jewish armbone, dating to the proper timeframe? That's not likely to happen, considering that not a trace of the DNA, BOM, or Judaism has been found among the Mayans or their archaeological remains.

But Spencer W. Kimball was a true prophet!

Date: March 12, 2018 01:10PM

Humans are more likely to find a hominid tail than an Old World connection to The New World claimed by Mormons.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 12:07AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Humans are more likely to find a hominid tail than
> an Old World connection to The New World claimed
> by Mormons.

:D :D :D

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 05:07PM

I wonder what my old Seminary teacher would say. He taught that the Americas were preserved from all other nations for Lehi's people (2 Nephi chapter one). Now it's more like "By golly some day we'll find some Lamanites among all those Indians".

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 10:47AM

"Now it's more like "By golly some day we'll find some Lamanites among all those Indians".

In my family, it'a not "more like" it's "exactly like" that.

I overheard a conversation and they were talking about the "others" and something to do with the Lamanites getting mixed in with all the others or something. They have some friends with whom they are always discussing this invisible laminate issue.

I never say anything but I finally piped up and said, "You know it was written and taught that God kept the Americas for Lehi's family only. Oh and the Jaredites. But that's it."

Crickets.

P.S. My Auto-Correct keeps changing Lamanites to laminates. Even Auto-Correct apparently can't find those "dark,filthy, and wicked" Lamanites. Haha. :). (Also having trouble with finding the Jaredites, or jadeites as it calls them.)

Why is no one ever looking for the Jaredites?

Date: March 13, 2018 11:48AM

Laminates are at lease useful for something (cheap countertop/floor coverings).

Not so much with imaginary Lamanites. They're only good for being the foil of a rather silly made-up story.

Date: March 13, 2018 02:32PM

They were Laminates! Oliver knew it!

Cowdery knew that the book was written primarily β€œto the Laminates,” who were β€œa remnant of the house of Israel.”
https://history.lds.org/article/doctrine-and-covenants-lamanite-mission?lang=eng

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 11:56PM

The Mormon story says that one of the biggest and bloodiest battles in the new world took place with the final and complete destruction of the Nephites. In this war, tens or hundreds of thousands of people were killed. There were horses, chariots, armor, and many dead people at the end of this war when as the last Nephite, Moroni as a mortal man, buaried the gold plates in a hillside, not far from what would become Joseph Smith's childhood home, hundreds of years later. So if Joseph dug up the plates that were buaried by Moroni, we know roughly where the war took place. It took place in what would become Palmyra New York. And yet, there are no chariots found in Palmyra, no skelatons of soldiers, no armor found where the supposed war took place. This isn't only a fraud. It's not even a good fraud.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 01:01AM

Elohim directed him, knowing that thousands of years later a boy-prophet would be living in what is now Mansfield, NY, to dig them up and translate them. They were only sixty pounds. Maybe he got a Lamanite squaw in Oklahoma on the way to help him out.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 12:55PM

Could not have been thousands of years.

A few hundred years at best.

But....nada

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 12:10AM

Steve Steve Steve...details are such unpleasant things...let us speak of funnier stuff...like south park and how smart martins wife was...I just love it when Mormons tell me it might be somewhere else...I just say...that's not what the book says...that's not what joe and the fellas taught for over a hundred years...now which is it?...the living prophets or some pesky fair guys who wouldn't know a nephrite if they were mowing their lawn

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 12:15AM

I believe the Lord of the rings happened more than the BoM events.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 10:33AM

Forget the plates; I want to know where is that cave that JS said had wagon loads full of other gold plates, and swords, and jewelry that are supposed to be in NY state?

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 12:46PM

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/spencer-w-kimball_lamanite-burden-burden/

"The Lamanite: Their Burden, Our Burden" by Spencer W. Kimball at a BYU Devotional on Feb 9, 1967

Now I really can't comment on this Essay as thanks to the beloved glorious Chapel cleaning program and plenty of other responsibilities & challenges we now face in the Last Days I simply don't have time to study up on such things. We have to keep those toilets at the chapels and temples clean so Heavenly Father can save money on janitor expenses.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:06AM

I don't know how anybody's putting up with this. The church takes everything from them. Their money,time and energy, ability to develop hobbies and explore their own possibilities because they have to jump for TSCC all the time; now they have to give up what little space they have left to provide free janitorial services? TBM's can't even tell when they're being exploited!And they don't understand why nobody wants to join their church, why the converts they do manage to get walk away and disappear soon afterward?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.