Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 08:53AM

Fucking barbarian!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 09:18AM

So the best way to convince someone to join a religion supposedly based on love is to beat the sh*it out of them? Can't he see the irony?

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 11:27AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 09:27PM

X 1,000 to the 100,000th for Mormonism.

If the LDS church could ever see/deal with their lack of focus (nearly absolute) on Honesty & Kindness, etc., That would open doors, set the stage for an amazing reformation... Something that LDS., Inc. hasn't seen yet.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 09:28AM

Sounds to me like Pat is getting too long in the tooth - and perhaps swerving into Alzheimer's-zone?

Why does he still have a TV show and why would anyone listen to him?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 09:33AM

That may be...but he's been spouting the same nonsense for 40+ years. His desire to beat people into christianity isn't a result of old age, it's a result of ideology.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:10AM

I think the oldsters are Robertson's key viewing audience. He's playing to the converted and they are the ones who donate the big money. His old school viewers were beating their kids, when they were raising kids, so that's probably why he gets away with it. A lot of really old Evangelical Christians cannot make it to church any more and get their religion via television.

I don't think Robertson is the voice of the Evangelical youth. I wonder if they even know him.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 11:33AM

"He's playing to the converted"

This. They are used to their audience eating up everything they say. Remind you of anyone? Like maybe 15 someones?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 03:12PM

He has a show because members of his 700 Club pay him money every month. Then he produces his show and buys time on TV to air it.

I think the mother should stay on her high horse and refuse to visit her kids because they won't respect her religion. Better for everyone involved.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:05AM

Ugh, I wish someone would beat Pat Robertson just for fun.

Date: March 09, 2018 10:12AM

I understand the wish.

But I don't share it.

Let's show him there's a better way, not sink to his level.

Date: March 09, 2018 11:24AM

/s

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 11:15AM

Ahh... all the Christian love. Please don't share it with me and mine. :p

HH =)

Date: March 09, 2018 11:20AM

Oops, wrong religion.
Christians find beheadings barbaric, they prefer to burn you at the stake.
Much more humane they say.

/s

Posted by: Not Codependent Anymore ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 12:00PM

I thought faith was about loving Jesus who died on the cross for our sins?

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 12:32PM

Love the picture of him in the article, he looks like a crazy person (not that he doesn't most of the time anyway).

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 03:00PM

It's what Jesus would do, right?

Date: March 09, 2018 03:48PM

Well, he did physically go after the temple money-changers, who (like the family in Pat's question) were "sinning..."

Date: March 09, 2018 05:13PM

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 08:01PM

Look at those Mormon teachings. The Book of Mormon Jesus burned cities, sunk other cities into the sea, buried cities under mountains, killed children, mothers, grandparents, etc. all because they wouldn't worship him. Mormon Jesus was the first Middle Eastern terrorist to attack on American soil.

Date: March 10, 2018 08:33AM

Oh, the MORMON Jesus. I meant the GENERIC Jesus, you know, that other fictional figure.
The one that was invented about 30 years after his own death and written about over the course of the following 80 or so years. THAT Jesus.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 06:11PM

I agree with the writer of the article that the grandmother is likely trying to force her beliefs down her family's collective throats. I imagine a lot of exmos here can relate to that.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 08:25PM

It's akin to stretching people on the rack, until they confess their guilt.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:16PM

Pat Robertson is a traitor. He cheered the terrorist attacks of September 11 while rescuers were digging in the rubble looking for survivors or bodies that could be recovered. I can't imagine why anyone would listen to someone who hates America and his fellow Americans so much.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:29PM

My father's method.

Posted by: Exposing Dawkins ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 11:54AM

https://www.salon.com/2013/09/10/richard_dawkins_defends_mild_pedophilia_says_it_does_not_cause_lasting_harm/

In a recent interview with the Times magazine, Richard Dawkins attempted to defend what he called "mild pedophilia," which, he says, he personally experienced as a young child and does not believe causes "lasting harm."

Dawkins went on to say that one of his former school masters "pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts," and that to condemn this "mild touching up" as sexual abuse today would somehow be unfair.
"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don't look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can't find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today," he said.
Plus, he added, though his other classmates also experienced abuse at the hands of this teacher, "I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:18PM

What the hell does this have to do with what Pat Robertson said?

Posted by: Exposing Dawkins ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:49PM

Pat Robertson isn't LDS either is he?

I've been on this board for years and am a bit sick of atheists trying to turn it into a happy hunting ground. Some people leave the church but take their missionary badges with them.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 07:40PM

I find this particular quote from Dawkins to be disturbing, but I don’t see how it mitigates, in any way, the totally messed up advice from Robertson. I fail to see how the two quotes are related in any form.

Pat Robertson may be (slightly) off-topic for this board, but I have no problem with Pat Robertson being called out in as many forums as possible.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 02:14PM

That's right ! Beat the hell out of them !

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 08:59PM

He beat himself.

M@t

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 04:59AM

Beat 'em, cover their backs with bloody stripes,Threaten them with the loss of all they know and love (Great Example: The Spanish Inquisition) Take away their homes, families, trades, self-respect - you name it.

We are still finding evidence of crypto-Hebreos here in New Mexico who date back to that period. They consider themselves fully Catholic, but they go through rituals that are unmistakably Jewish in origin.

Refusal to eat pork was a big tipoff. Being home in time for the family shabbat on Friday nights was another. The kids were ust raided this way. They had no idea that they were really being raised with the very bare bones of their grandparents' religion.

Although I had studied this history for my university major, I never really saw the evidence of it until I saw some of these ruins. A lot of studies are still ongoing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.