Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 03:21PM

It sounds like Amyjo might be getting daily hospital treatments and I want to encourage her and any other patients and their care givers who read RfM.

It's difficult to deal with the treatments and stresses of this disease and I was reminded of this in the recent thread about threatening religious materials being squirreled into hospital waiting rooms. Thankfully, when I was being treated for stage II breast cancer, I didn't have this added uncalled for stress and I would hope this wouldn't happen to others. I'm sorry it happened to Amyjo.

I'm hoping to remind posters to be kind if they know patients who must deal with cancer or any other serious and stressful disease. Try to be supportive and upbeat and let them know you care. Believe me, it helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 03:45PM

I was diagnosed last week and will have some of my colon removed next week.

Dark times and very stressful.

Date: March 09, 2018 03:50PM

I've known several friends who have done well with that diagnosis. I hope it goes well for you and you have a supportive group of medical professionals.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 03:38PM

Gheco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was diagnosed last week and will have some of my
> colon removed next week.
>
> Dark times and very stressful.

My diagnosis of adenocarcinoma was in July '16. It was in my appendix and had metastasized into my back muscles. Three surgeries, including a right hemi-colectomy, and a year of Chemo and I am in remission.
Now I get the port flushed every six weeks.

Feeling blessed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 06:34PM

Check in when you are able, Gheco. Our thoughts are with you.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 01:20AM

That's gotta be really scary...or, better stated: I would be feeling scared if this were happening to me!

Sending you all the best in every way, Gheco.

We will be thinking about you.

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 07:38PM

Take care of yourself. My father had part of his colon removed and resectioned after his doctor discovered a massive cancerous tumor that had 90% blocked the way. Nearly 10 years later he is fine.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 04:23PM

Thanks Cheryl for this timely thread.

Going through treatments at this time I'm finding people in all walks of life who've already been through what I'm currently going through.

My tax guy last weekend who did my taxes for me (in his 80's now,) went through rectal cancer ten years ago, and is a cancer thriver (aka survivor) today. His wife went through double breast cancer ten or eleven years ago and she's doing fine.

Today I met a woman through work who is finishing up her five year drug therapy for her breast cancer. She was supportive of me, and I was able to direct her to a support group in our metro area that surprisingly she hadn't heard of before. It's an excellent support group for breast cancer patients (for both men and women.) She was going to call them as soon as our call ended this morning. :)

Gheco, hang in there. The surgery was for me the hardest part. You may need radiation &/or chemo, but don't be afraid. Medicine has come a long ways in even just the last 10-20 years.

Sending good thoughts and vibes your way for a positive outcome and healing journey.

❤️

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 04:26PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 06:35PM

Hang in there, Amyjo, and keep us in the loop.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 01:22AM

My best is going out to you, Amyjo...

We are with you all the way.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 04:27PM

DW died from lung cancer last October. The support from RFM was overwhelming

Date: March 09, 2018 04:37PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 05:21PM

RfM is bigger than you think.

DH has heard your names often from my reading aloud many of your comments. The other day he asked, “How is Amyjo doing?”

Best wishes and prayers from our Exmo house to all who are facing difficult diagnoses and treatments.

Date: March 10, 2018 12:41PM

DH asked if we’ve caught up with GetBusyLivin. (He heard a lot of GBL’s comments, too.) He asks if Badassadam has some pain relief.

Cheryl, your thoughtful thread reminds that there’s a vast audience of caring Exmos here that the rest of us never hear from.

RfM is the kindest and most caring place many people have ever been. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 12:59PM by kathleen.

Date: March 11, 2018 02:05PM

If so, RfM posters would like to send their good wishes.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 02:17PM

Thank you.

I continue to recieve calls from from different relatives stating that I am on different prayer chains, temple prayer lists, etc.

This is meaningless to me, yet thank these people as I know they are doing what they believe to most helpful, and wish to be of assistance.

I am writing my obituary today in case things go sideways while i am on the operating table.

Dark times, and not knowing is stressful.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Date: March 11, 2018 02:30PM

Hearing the diagnosis for the first time is traumatic in itself. It comes like a bolt out of the blue.

It isn't only a physical journey you're on of healing. It's an emotional roller coaster ride as well.

It's a shock to the senses to process the diagnosis to treatment plan.

All you can do is to take things one day at a time.

I've considered getting my affairs in order, like you, because no one has any guarantees about this thing called life. Here's hoping you're getting the best treatment possible and for a good outcome.

Write down your fears and concerns. It helps to make a list of questions if you're unsure about what to expect. Doctors are there to answer your questions, not just treat the disease.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:54AM

They say they will send me the results by e-mail. (Better clean the garbage out of my e-mail inbox.

Breast cancer gallops through my mother's side of the family, so this is somewhat disconcerting.

Date: March 18, 2018 06:42AM

Hang in there catnip. If it's a lumpectomy you'll be having, the doctors will know more following the surgery. They'll biopsy the tumor, and maybe remove some lymph nodes for further testing. That's typical for this surgery.

That will help them to plan your treatment course.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 03:41PM

Kathleen, there are many caring nevermos here as well. I am one of them and, while I haven't struggled with a CA diagnosis, the stroke I had almost 5 years ago is like being cut off at the knees. Healing thoughts to Amyjo and all on this board who are suffering, for whatever reason.

Date: March 11, 2018 04:07PM

Date: March 11, 2018 11:52PM

cinda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kathleen, there are many caring nevermos here as
> well.

Yes, there are! Thank you for that reminder, Cinda.
Best hopes for your recovery as well!

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 06:28PM

Breast cancer gallops through my mother's family. My grandmother survived it, my aunt didn't.

I was raised in the stiff-upper-lip tradition wherein one is not allowed to appear concerned about such trifles.

Concern the first: That I get through the biopsy itself without behaving like a frightened child.

Concern the second: How the damned thing will turn out. And where to turn after that.

I was never allowed to cry as a child. All I got was the old "I'll GIVE you something to cry about, if you don't stop." (When I was already upset about not being allowed to go out with friends or something.)

I am often seen as very stoic, but inside, I feel like a jellyfish.

Date: March 12, 2018 05:30AM

You deal with it one thing at a time. Hopefully it's nothing. If it is something, you go from there for treatment planning.

Get a second opinion if necessary. I went with my 'second opinion' surgeon, not the first, though they were both equipped to deal with it. Different bedside manners, overall experience helped me to make my selection.

The second doctor left no stone uncovered discussing things with me. He was more aware of what I'm dealing with than the first. Second opinions can sometimes make a difference if you're unsure about something.

The fear is understandable. You'll need to work through it to get through whatever's in store. I had my first biopsy 3-4 years ago on the other breast. It was a benign cyst. The tumor that was found in November managed to go undetected from a February ultrasound and mammogram. With dense breast tissue I'm thinking it was there all along but too small to pick up in February. By November I needed a biopsy, and there it was.

One thing at a time, one day at a time. What more can you do?

PS It's okay to cry. As one of my meditation CD's says: "This is your grief." "You can own it." Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 05:32AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Anon for this One ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 03:32AM

We are already longtime friends, Amyjo.

Thank you for the "second opinion" reminder." That's a good one.

My husband is being absolutely The Rock.

I don't know how long it takes to get the report back.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 11:30PM

Dad is near the end of stage 4 renal cancer fight. Cancer is an insidious disease. Definitely hard on the individuals, loved ones and care givers.

Date: March 13, 2018 11:11AM

Orthus,

So sorry for what you and your family are going through. Especially for your father.

Cancer is an insidious disease, and no discriminator of persons.

One of my childhood chums recently lost her 87 year old dad to cancer. His was pancreatic. By the time it was diagnosed he only had four to six weeks left to live.

Posted by: why nit ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 05:01AM

I haven't posted for years, though I lurk many times a day! I love you guys!!

12 years ago I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
Went through grueling chemo. My type of cancer will never be cured, but they can "shrink" the cancer cells. Which was successful. I suffer daily with horrendous after-effects of the chemo, like Poly-neuropathy in both feet.

Fast forward til today's date. I celebrated my 65th birthday yesterday! Thankfully! I now have a relapse and the cancer is growing again. Same type. Just finished 4th treatment. Life is precious and wonderful! Keep positive everyone! Warm hugs and positive thoughts to all. And thank you for this post! It is greatly appreciated!

Date: March 13, 2018 05:41AM

My darling exmo sister bravely fought non-hodgkin lymphoma with two stem cell transplants, chemo, radiation, surgeries, and more uncomfortable procedures than I can list. How brave you are. Wish I could be there to help in some way.

Posted by: Why nut ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 10:53AM

Screen name: why NUT....not nit lol

Cheryl!
Aw, Bless your exmo sister's heart. I am so sorry y'all had to go through that. Nevermo DH is my rock!

Thank you for your kind words. You just take one day at a time, and are thankful for every breath.

Have a great day!

Date: March 13, 2018 02:13PM

I'm glad you have a solid nevermo DH as I do. What a blessing.

I'll be thinking about you. Take care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.