Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 09:23PM

Yes they can be Democrats. As long as the Democrats are anti-abortion, anti-gay, and (dare i say it?) anti-big government (whatever that means). So feel free to choose your political party, as long as they believe the right things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon4This4 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:29AM

"Big Government" I believe is a term to refer to a Government who places lots of regulations, laws, higher taxes, that sort of thing.

Almost all people who vote Republican do so because they are racist, homophobic, sexist, Islamophobic, transphobic, and so on. But a miniscule minority of Republican voters do so because they ideally want a Government that interferes as little with their lives as possible.

For example, Trump's promise during the campaign to remove two existing regulations every time a new regulation is added would have won him over those kinds of people.

A lot of people who vote Democrat believe that regulations are good, because they help prevent corruption, damage to the environment, help to prevent people cheating their way to the top of society, help to prevent discrimination, etc.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:42AM

Anon4This4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost all people who vote Republican do so
> because they are racist, homophobic, sexist,
> Islamophobic, transphobic, and so on.

As a confirmed progressive liberal Democrat, I'd have to say...that's BS. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 04:58PM

I agree. That description of Republicans is way off the mark.

The racist, misogynistic xenophobes are a distinct minority in the GOP. Most Republicans are moderately conservative good people, of whom a substantial slice are (understandably) concerned about economic trends over recent decades.

"Small government" conservatives are increasingly out of step with the GOP since it keeps legislating morality and, through spending increases and tax cuts, is rapidly expanding the national debt.

But neither party has done a good job of representing the views, some legitimate and some not (like any interest group) of a large swathe of the electorate. That is why the electoral coup occurred.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 05:45PM

Accurate description

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:19AM

haha, they like regulations as long as they are regulating "morality" as they see it

Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 08:29AM

Anon4This4 Wrote:
> "Big Government" I believe is a term to refer to a
> Government who places lots of regulations, laws,
> higher taxes, that sort of thing.

"Big Government" refers to things like Obama who somehow convinced himself that one of his duties as the head of the executive branch included limiting the amount of money people could save in their retirement accounts. Because, in his twisted mind, the President had the right to determine what a "reasonable retirement" was.

THAT is big government. The fact that Obama even proposed such a plan is worse than anything Trump has done. Show me anywhere in the Constitution or 2 centuries of caselaw where the Executive branch was granted the power to cap your savings.

> Almost all people who vote Republican do so
> because they are racist, homophobic, sexist,
> Islamophobic, transphobic, and so on.

What about all those black churches in California that fought for Prop 8? LDSinc took a lot of criticism, but the black pastors damning gays somehow get a pass. And black Americans overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Republicans are sexist?

Name one Republican who has campaigned on a male-specific issue.

Name one Democrat who has said America needs to do something to reduce the rate of male suicide which is higher than female suicide.

Name one Democrat who has objected to the fact that men are over 90% of workplace deaths.

Name one Democrat who was said society needs to do something to equalize men dying an average of 6 years earlier than women.

Name one Democrat who said it might be a problem that men are dropping out of high school at higher rates than women.

Name one Democrat who has criticized the fact that women are the majority of college students and graduates.

Name one Republican who campaigned on his sex: "I'm With -->HIM"

> A lot of people who vote Democrat believe that
> regulations are good, because they help prevent
> corruption, damage to the environment, help to
> prevent people cheating their way to the top of
> society, help to prevent discrimination, etc.

Regulations prevent corruption? Wrong. Transparency International finds that as a general rule the more regulations there are enforced by government, the higher the rate of corruption. Mexico has lots of regulations. So does Laos. So does Russia. Regulations alone do nothing to prevent corruption, they just provide opportunity for bribes and ways to profit from enforcing regulation.

Regulations prevent "cheating to the top"? How? Most wealthy people don't cheat, they are regarded as highly honest by their peers (See Thomas J. Stanley's books and research on high-wealth Americans). Obama wanted to prevent people from saving more than he thought was appropriate in their retirement accounts. Those people aren't "cheating", they're saving and investing slowly over the decades.

Date: March 19, 2018 05:58PM

Feel better after that rant?

By the way, Obama never tried to limit what anybody could save for retirement. Ever.

What was proposed was a cap on what could be saved *tax free* (or tax-deferred). Which, of course, isn't at all what you claimed.

To quote "Motley Fool:"

"...the proposal is not creating a government-imposed cap on total retirement savings; it's only limiting additional contributions to tax-advantaged plans beyond a certain point. In this respect, the proposal is not a total savings cap..."

Next time, try some honesty.

Date: March 13, 2018 12:50PM

As usual, they focus on Utah (and running its politics), to further their own ends.

"We are concerned that citizen participation rates in Utah are among the lowest in the nation..."

Not all that surprising, when you consider that Utah mormons are used to simply doing what they're told, including voting.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 03:30PM

When I first read the subject I was gonna joke that they’re saying that koolaide drinkin’ morgbots “know” that they’re supposed to be voting GOP, but they’re also willing to let Demoncrats scrub toilets and tithe too.

But after I read the article I realize that it’s a clear “get out and vote” order to TBMs.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 07:09PM

Most of my family are active Mormon. About half are surprisingly liberal democrats ( thought I was having lunch with Bernie Sanders last time we got together). The other half are GOP with some being really right wing . My sister who is active and recommend holding really hates and I do mean hates Mitt Romney. I don't think this is the norm . All the TBMs at work are Republican as are mostMormons. My parents were both Democrats and Mom said" Republicans are evil couldn't pay me to vote for any of them" and she at one time was . the Relief Society prez and my dad has in the Bishopric.One day we were doing yard work and some ward guy came by and said to my dad "You aren't going to really vote for him(Wayne Owens)are you Bill"?My fathers exact words "I did not fight in a fucking war for you to tell me how to vote " Once A Marine Always a Marine vulgar Language and all . Ward guy looked shocked and just walked away.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 07:36PM

My TBM immediate family were liberal Democrats and I have several cousins and friends who are active members and Democrats. It may not be the norm, but they are out there

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 08:56PM

I communicate as little as absolutely neccessary with my Mormon family.
We dont see eye to eye on much.
Its best we don't interact.
We'd just make a scene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 11:45PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Politiciah ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 10:55PM

Could it that Nelson is subtly trying to persuade the flock to vote for Democrats because HE is a registered Democrat?

Date: March 14, 2018 10:00AM

Politiciah Wrote:
> Could it that Nelson is subtly trying to persuade
> the flock to vote for Democrats because HE is a
> registered Democrat?

Somehow I doubt it.
It sounds more like he is not-so-subtly trying to get mormons to vote their "mormon values" no matter which party they're in. So that mormons have more influence in the political process.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 10:57PM

Probably he us trying to disassociate the church from Trump.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 05:50PM

Yes.

The church doesn't want to go down with the ship. This is too little, too late.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 11:25PM

My father and the sycophantic siblings of mine who depend on his money are vulgar Republicans. One sister said she loved Utah, because "there's not much Obama here." I knew she meant black people.

My mother has voted Democrat on occasion when she was pissed off at my Dad. It's a real normal Mormon family.

Posted by: ibsmiley ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 03:29PM

I just finished a great read of a newly published book “Choosing the "Right": The Rise and Repercussions of Republican Politics in the LDS Church” (Amazon); it spot-on addressed these issues in depth and with captivating and intriguing examples of the how Republican monopolistic dominance has hurt Utah Vally. It is a must-read if you want to have a full understanding of the effects of having and overwhelming Republican base in Utah, and see how local elected officials have exploited the imbalance Utah Valley government. The author, Larry Alan Brown was unflinching in the analysis; while balanced, it does bring up occurrences that the Republican party establishment has tried to sweep under the rug.

Posted by: Great Gordon's Ghost ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 04:37PM

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 05:09PM

My TBM ex-husband and his mom were registered Democrats, and it was one of the reasons they were considered the black sheep of the ward back in 2000-2002 when I was with him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 05:11PM by doyle18.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 05:17PM

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 09:44PM

You want to make sure you don't do anything that would endanger your tax-exempt status. Religion is the best scam going. Tithing is not just free money, but tax-free money both for giver and receiver.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.