Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 11:53PM

Professor Stephen Hawking is dead at 76

http://dailym.ai/2GoRjtQ

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-hawking-dead-obituary_us_55e9fa97e4b03784e275e7c1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 12:01AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2018 11:55PM

sob

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:01AM

I hope that's not an acronym.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:15AM

No, it was a muffled cry.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:19AM

How fitting that the good professor chose to pass into infinity on pi day.

RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 09:21AM by Shummy.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:12PM

Not just that, but on Albert Einstein's birthday.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:47AM

A giant in the scientific realm. He will be missed.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:04AM

If only Hawking would be honored even half as much as liars and cheats who tell of a ‘fairy tale’ afterlife.

The proponents of ‘heaven or hell’ fleece the dumb masses but get to lie in state at the White House. At least Hawking was given the Medal of Freedom by Obama.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:09AM

A truly great person! A person who persisted and obtained a great deal of success even though he had significant physical issues!

He was able to use 'science' to 'believe' in aliens. However, he was never able to use his 'science' or the vast amounts of 'anecdotal evidence' to believe in God or the after life.

In 2008, Hawking stated, "The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws".[310] In an interview published in The Guardian, Hawking regarded the concept of heaven as a myth, believing that there is "no heaven or afterlife" and that such a notion was a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark".[134]

It would be interesting to be able to get his thoughts on these subjects now!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:33PM

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:07PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

If I get/find something I will do that.

However, among the many thing remote viewers have been tasked to do was the assassination of JFK. In that project they picked up him being killed and his 'thoughts' as he was 'transforming' to remember what he knew.

At first he was worried about all the things he needed to do on Earth. However, as time went by (seconds) he became comfortable with the fact he was released from his earthly body. He even got to the point where he realized this 'exit' was 'planned'.

Certain things are 'planned' in life. The timing and method of death is planned but the timing may be impacted by what the 'soul' is accomplishing or not accomplishing by extending it's time on Earth.

Remote viewers and many others (selected psychics, past life regression people, some mediums/channels, etc.) that I try to follow have fully explored and written about God (to a limited extent), the after life, reincarnation, aliens (tons), etc. etc..

The people I follow have very similar views that I have developed based on my experiences.

Update: researched if anyone has tried to contact Hawking among people I try to follow.

Looks like too much work already with JFK, but also the many hypnotic regressions documented in books and on the net. Very similar that there is a 'transition' from realizing you are dead to remembering all you know and who you are. Once you remember who you are it was if you were in a 'role in a movie' and going back home.

I did find one 'Baptist minister' on line already proclaiming Hawking is experiencing hell because of not accepting Jesus. Of course, I 'believe strongly' that he is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 03:24PM by spiritist.

Date: March 14, 2018 08:17PM

spiritist Wrote:

> I did find one 'Baptist minister' on line already
> proclaiming Hawking is experiencing hell because
> of not accepting Jesus. Of course, I 'believe
> strongly' that he is wrong.

ZILLER!

Wait, no, it is BILLY GUILTY GRAHAM!

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:20PM

In a late 2017 interview with Telemundo he stated:

"Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation. What I meant by ‘we would know the mind of God’ is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn’t. I’m an atheist."

Sure looks like he left this life without fear and credulity.

HH =)

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:52AM

Paisley70 clearly has no understanding of ALS.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:15PM

Have a gander at the cognitive impairments experienced by those with ALS. If I am ignorant of the facts, please correct me. A family friend died of this disease, so I may be a little biased. However, for people to expect that Hawking kept up his mental abilities to the end of his life is a farce.

http://www.alsa.org/als-care/resources/publications-videos/factsheets/cognitive-changes-family.html

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:20PM

From your link:

"The presentation of ALS varies from person to person. Some people with ALS will never develop changes in thinking or behavior. For others with ALS, there will be mild changes in how they think or behave but they are still able to function independently and make informed decisions about their care. Finally, for some people with ALS, changes in thinking and behavior are quite significant and severe such that these people are challenged to make informed decisions about their care and activities and require others to act on their behalf."

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about, but on the off chance.

Prove it.

Date: March 14, 2018 07:56PM

Why are you cherry picking? I'll do the same then.

"... up to 50% of people with ALS will experience some degree of change in thinking or behavior, with approximately 25% of those people with ALS developing a full blown dementia.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:05PM

Right, both you and I have now proven that it isn't at all unreasonable for Hawking to maintain his full cognitive ability. So now prove that he didn't have it.

You gave an article that to me reads to opposite of what you are arguing here. Absent your non existent proof I will go with the most likely scenario. That his mind was fully intact.

Date: March 14, 2018 08:53PM

You can research for yourself on the internet. There are plenty of source documents available. The most recent data suggests that 54% of ALS patients suffer some sort of cognitive impairment. Not to mention Hawking's age and the duration that he lived with the disease. He was a puppet and didn't even know it.

https://alsnewstoday.com/tag/cognitive-impairment/

The burden of proof is on the people of this forum to come to their own conclusion. Watch his videos and speeches of late and compare with his earlier publications. No true fan of his books will be convinced that he kept the same mental aptitude until the time of his death. Watch his interviews. He practically sleeps through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCA_Cu6r2N8

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:12PM

paisley70 Wrote:
> Why are you cherry picking? I'll do the same
> then.
>
> "... up to 50% of people with ALS will experience
> some degree of change in thinking or behavior,
> with approximately 25% of those people with ALS
> developing a full blown dementia.

And you also said in an earlier post "Hawking's brain was essentially dead decades ago but they gave him a voice anyways"

Based on the "50% of people with ALS will experience **some degree" of change in thinking.... with approx 25% of those ...."

Leave plenty of room for Hawking to have maintained his brain function.

The fact that he defied the odds with ALS in the first place is extraordinary. It's not hard to imagine that his brain function was in the other 50%.

Either way, you said before "Hawking's brain was essentially dead decades ago but they gave him a voice anyways"

Date: March 14, 2018 09:02PM

54% of ALS sufferers experience mental deficiencies within 18 months of diagnosis. You are saying that Hawking is the most exceptional outlier in ALS history. If he were a politician, he would come under substantial scrutiny for his health and be exposed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:01PM

He was an "exceptional outlier" anyway. He wasn't just in the top 1% of all people cognitively, he was well beyond that.

From what I understand, many of the top scientists have a relatively narrow band of time when they do their very best work. This doesn't mean that they are in a cognitive decline for the rest of their lives.

Date: March 14, 2018 11:54PM

I agree with your first two points. Yet IQ peaks at 23 years of age.

When I was in grad school I had to speak to my supervisor like he was a child. He couldn't grasp the depth of my research beyond a certain point. He called me esoteric, yet I thought he was a moron and lost all respect for him. He was good at editing a scientific journal but he couldn't produce any original research of his own. Yet he is my co-author.

In ten years I'll be the same age as he was when I was under his tutelage. Now I get it. Youth is wasted on the young. Twenty-somethings rule the world and they don't even know it. They lack wisdom, power, and influence, but their minds are as sharp as they are ever going to get. If you mentor a twenty-something in the right way, they will potentially outperform you! I discovered that you have to be thirty for anyone to really listen to you and forty for anyone to really believe you. It's quite a shame.

Date: March 15, 2018 12:00AM

BTW, Hawking has the most envious list of publications. The only problem is that he didn't write many of them. They are attributed to him, but there is no way possible that he did the majority of the work himself for the latter one-third of them. That's why it's a farce!

http://www.hawking.org.uk/publications.html

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:35PM

in b 4 ~ hell is a little hotter now ~

in b 4 ~ ¿ how did they know he died ? ~

in b 4 ~ his battery-powered voice box lives on and continues to give lectures and write books for adoring atheists ~

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:45PM

I have to admit that I wasn't familiar with him or his accomplishments but was impressed and entertained by his appearances as himself on "The Big Bang Theory." (I loved that show, the last couple of years not so much). This show brought his humanity to the attention of schlubs like me.

The episode where Sheldon tries to play Words With Friends with him is very funny and touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ojHcRPK_o

Date: March 14, 2018 06:55PM

Thank you! That clip was awesome!!

Posted by: darkness ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:55PM

darkness like outer darkness

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 07:07PM

Hmmm... maybe he WAS afraid of the dark.

That may have been the motivation which kept him alive for so long - he fought having to go into that good night.

Anyway, I liked his books and I hope he is happy and uncovering more secrets of the universe every moment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.