Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:17AM

Hurry up, all you apostates and reprobates.
You've only got about 2 years left!

https://www.latterdayconservative.com/w-cleon-skousen/what-we-might-expect-in-the-next-twenty-five-years/

There's an interesting "point" made in that essay...Skousen points out that, through "revelation," Elohim endorsed the Gregorian calendar as being accurate when it comes to "year 0," the time when baby bible Jesus was born. Too bad that the bible itself contradicts that :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:22AM

Yeah ... and pi = 3 according to the bible.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:54AM

Anybody, that wins the White House in 2020, is going to seem like Jesus.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 02:09AM

Smile.

Perhaps the winner will receive the Nobel Prize. Perhaps s/he will deserve it this time!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:16PM

OMG, the amount of convoluted BS is beyond imagining. I can't read that whole thing. It damages too many precious bodily fluids, particularly inside my eyeballs. Blech.

I used to be impressed by Clean when I was in junior high, and he was at his peak of what I now see as total nonsense. I think that part of the goal of Correlation was to drive Birchermania and wild "deep doctrine" out of church class discussions. That made lessons pretty much content-free, but safe. Skousen may have been a nutcase, but he wasn't boring.

Date: March 14, 2018 02:36PM

I'm sorry to have hurt your eyeballs.
Still, it's worthwhile to remember the craziness that is (was?) mormonism!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:19PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Skousen may have been a
> nutcase, but he wasn't boring.

Sorry, Bro, I have to disagree here. I had Brother Skousen for Old Testament at BYU. I had only been a member for about 18 months and didn’t know who he was. A roommate told me he was the best OT teacher at the Y...

Skousen was constantly pitching his “1000 Years” book series and the Freeman Institute. With a little encouragement, he quickly segued into Commie-hunting and UN-bashing.

His exams were fill-in the blank literal questions, such as, “Abram lived in ———- he travelled to ————— he met ———-. ——— said, ———.” There was no iota of any significance as to the OT teachings, mythology, or any understanding of Judaism.

I took a C in the class and was grateful to never ever have to sit through any of .his shit again.

Cleon could defeat any Commie by simply boring them to death. J. Edgar Hoover’s Boner.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 12:10AM

I defer to your firsthand experience. I guess my opinion is colored by an old goat in the ward I grew up in (well outside of Utah). I think he had every word from Cleon committed to memory, and probably augmented by personal revelation. He was the local Utah Mormon celebrity who was the expert on deep doctrine.

I think LDS Inc tries to put a muzzle on these sorts of people now. Even back then 1950s, he never to my knowledge had any of the major leadership callings. Apparently the adults in the room were less impressed with his bullshitting skills than I, as a middle school student, was.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:43AM

Glad I didn't have him for OT at Ricks....the dolt I had was bad enough that I quit attending class in semester 2....and sealed my fate to not being invited to return as a sophomore. Best academic decision I ever made.

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 04:52PM

Yeah, well Joseph Smith predicted in 1835 that Jesus would return in 53 years. And if he was killed it would take 10 years off that. So the saints prepared for Christ's return in 1878 and it didn't happen. So they prepared again in 1888 a little less enthusiastically and again it didn't happen.

The Mormons have been telling us for almost 200 hundred years Christ was about to return. I think every 100 years they should add another "Latter" to their name. They should be called The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Latter Day Saints. And in 2030 they should be called The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Latter Latter Day Saints.

By the way, their official name is The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Isn't that sweet. They're a CORPORATION!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:16PM

Date: March 14, 2018 08:15PM

Let's run with mormon wackiness all the way...

If anybody in the world sees a rainbow any time during the early months of 2020, Jesus won't be returning that year (according to founder Rainbow Joe).

I already know it won't happen this year. I have a photo of a big double rainbow visible from my yard a few weeks ago. Whew. I was getting a little worried there.

So in another 2 years, somebody post up a 2020 rainbow pic. And we can all breathe easy. 'Cause W. Cleon was wrong (again). :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:21PM

I noted a rainbow while taking a leak the other day. The light has to be just right!

Date: March 15, 2018 02:11AM

Nice to have you posting again, temporarily absent boner.

Date: March 15, 2018 02:12AM

Even if making . . . colorful. . . comments!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 01:04PM

Boner's been doing shit lately...I've missed him too...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:26PM

"Kids, stop running through those sprinklers....you're ruining my big entrance!!"

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:20PM

BEGINNING of 2020 or END of 2020?

the latter leaves lots of room for debauchery, ya know...

Date: March 15, 2018 11:33AM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BEGINNING of 2020 or END of 2020?
>
> the latter leaves lots of room for debauchery, ya
> know...

Well, Skousen's "math" puts the return at 20.56 years after Jan. 1, 2000.

.56 years = 204.96 days (366x.56, 'cause 2020 is a leap year!).

That would put it just before midnight on the night of July 10, 2020 (just before July 11).

So...closer to the middle :)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:25AM

Are all the LDS members packing up and walking to Missouri, it's 12-1300 mile hike.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:33AM

what about members from Japan, even Alaska?
there are members in Hawaii, Guam, Philippines...

Date: March 15, 2018 11:34AM

Missouri time is all that counts, of course, since that's where Jesus will come back! :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 12:16PM

I haven't a clue how many there were. My grandmother just happened to have them. I don't have a clue where they came from. I'm fairly sure she didn't read them. Probably came from my TBM aunt and her husband. I found them very interesting. I, too, was probably in jr. high school.

It would be interesting to read them again at this age just to see what I had read back them from my perspective now.

So 2020, huh? Kind of like all the fear over 2000. I've said it before, my life was horrible at the time. I hoped they were correct, but I knew they weren't. Even so, I sat on the sofa and waited for midnight, hoping it would all end. And here I am.

Date: March 15, 2018 02:03PM

I'm quite confident that the same thing will happen if you sit around the night of July 10, 2020 and wait for midnight :)

And for what it's worth, I'm glad you're still here (along with the rest of us)!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 02:34PM

My TBM dad was a Patriarch. In the latter years of his life, he used his scriptures to try and figure out when Jesus would return. I recall him saying the scriptures say no one can no the day or the hour, but it didn't say you can't know the month and year.....somethin like that.

I don't know what he came up with, but he started using it in his talks in church. People started freaking out and asking their bishops and stake presidents about it.

They finally had to tell him to stop.

Date: March 15, 2018 03:10PM

I had the "pleasure" of meeting W. Cleon once. Very briefly.

I was only 12. We'd gone to SLC for some family thing, and were over at the COB to meet my Uncle Don for lunch. He introduced him to our family. My TBM mom gushed, and he signed her copy of "The First Two Thousand Years." I think she considered him a GA even though he wasn't.

Me, all I really remember is thinking that he had a really big nose :)

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 04:38PM

I was blessed to hear old Cleon speak once in the St. George Tabernacle. The bishop made all the youth attend so we could understand the threat we were under from the Red Menace. I don't remember much of what he had to say because I was ducking down behind the people in front to hide from the All Seeing Eye of God up on the wall behind Cleon. I do recall Skousen making a pitch for his books.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:20AM

I bought a condo in Las Vegas in about 2005. Bad location, bad purchase but that's another story.

The address was 2020 xxxx Road unit 230.

I didn't know then I should have stayed there until 2020 and maybe ghawd would have visited when he arrived that year. Or, maybe not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.