Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Geisha ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:07PM

What flower is hiding behind there? Have a look at loooooooooooove!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 04:44AM

?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 04:58AM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 08:41AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:10AM

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/11/02/360479744/why-corporate-executives-talk-about-opening-their-kimonos

Every few years, it seems someone feels compelled to say the phrase is making a comeback. Back from where? From when? In 1998, The New York Times' Steven Greenhouse explored the corporate idioglossia of Microsoft. Here's his entry for "open the kimono":

"A marvelous phrase of non-Microsoft origin, probably stemming from the rash of Japanese acquisitions of American enterprises in the 80's, that has been adopted into the Microspeak marketing lexicon. Basically a somewhat sexist synonym for 'open the books,' it means to reveal the inner workings of a project or company to a prospective new partner."
Like most online musings on the phrase, this one guesses at a rough time of origin but cites no evidence. Go down the search-engine rabbit-hole and you'll see references to the '70s and '80s, but either nonexistent proof or dead links. Whatever decade it comes from, plenty of people wish it had stayed there.

Forbes included "open the kimono" in a "Most Annoying Business Jargon" bracket, wherein Bruce Barry, a professor at Vanderbilt University's Owen School of Business, calls it "kind of creepy."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:50AM

?

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:02AM

I guessed this was a reference to the open sided sheets we used to wear for temple washing and anointings?

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 12:05PM

Well the only people who could possibly not believe that the Church has always been super "Open Kimono", especially now, are the unbelievers. One of the fundamental foundations of being able to make the claim of being "true" is the incredibly high level of honesty/transparency that everyone expects from the Church. I bear solemn testimony that if you get a strong witness from the facts, Spirit, etc. that the Church has always been super "Open Kimono" then you may be on the path to becoming a born again TBM :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 01:10PM

Honest TBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...you may be on
> the path to becoming a born again TBM :)

"born-again TBM" Now there's an oxymoron for you!

Or, as another poster once quipped, "oxyMormon."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 01:15PM

Opening the kimono is only a productive strategy if what lies within is attractive.

Somehow I don't think revealing more is a good idea for the likes of Holland and Oaks.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 01:33PM

I thought that’s what Moroni was wearing when he showed up next to Joseph Smith’s bed three times.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 02:26PM

I don't know what this means, but with a few drinks I'll try anything once.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.