Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 02:03PM

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-does-dagnabbit-mean

Though this article doesn't mention Mormons at all, the topic certainly applies to them -- particularly the substitute profanities Utah Mormon culture uses (and spreads via BYU).

Taboo deformation is a word we use when we don't want to use a bad word, about "the perceived power of words to hurt us." Yup, Mormons are all about PERCEIVED power.

Oh, and there's this bit that directly applies to Mormonism. Mormons think Elohim is God's name, but no. "...to talk about God, Jews have come up with dozens of options. Hashem means, literally, 'the name.' Adonai means 'lord,' Elohim means…well, nobody’s quite sure about that one. Maybe 'the power,' or 'the divine,' something like that."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 02:30PM

Darn it--now I'm to be walking around all day hearing Walter Brennan in my head: "Dagnabbit, Luke!"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 05:20PM

The cult perceives it has power over you but it fucking doesn't!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 06:10PM

I had a boss in Alabama who was a crazy Jeezus freak teabagger. His favorite phrase was "dadgummit! One time I said, "Why don't you just go ahead and say it?"

"Say What?"

"Say Goddamnit."

I got to go home early that day. And have my pay docked for a whole day. I'd held my tongue for 2 years and was looking for a new job at that time, so I didn't really care. But he had the mouth of a dyslexic sailor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.