Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrietchr1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 12:36AM

Friends son just received mission call to Zimbabwe! Anyone know about this mission?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Loner2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 12:46AM

Should be a 'slam dunk' conversion rate so to speak since there is limited internet I would say.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 01:24AM

I've been NEAR to Zim [as we old Africa hands say!!! :D ]...

...just to the south in Pietersburg/Polokwane in South Africa, but when I was in SA I did meet several people who lived, and have businesses, in Zim.

I just checked and the current safety situation is that crime is considered "low" (there are no security warnings to travelers current now), and absent future political crises, things are expected to stay this way.

At this point in time, Zim is almost certainly safer on the ground than would be the case in most areas further south, in South Africa.

If you want to check for yourself (and this is fun to do!), find out which general area---the city or whatever---in Zim is where your friend's son is going to be assigned. Once you know which area, go to YouTube and search for: "real estate, [Harare, or whatever], Zimbabwe." What you are looking for is what security features are being touted on the real estate videos and listings. I just did a bit of this and it looks as if, compared to South Africa, there are virtually "NO" security features being highlighted, which indicates that the area is [probably] VERY safe...most certainly by South Africa standards.

(You can also Google: "real estate, [the future missionary's area], Zimbabwe" and get a sense of safety features from reading the returns.)

Zimbabwe no longer uses its own currency, but instead uses currencies which include the US dollar and the South African rand (as well as some specific others). If prices are listed in [$], my first guess would be that the currency being referred to is the US dollar...but if this is important, check to make sure.

All in all, Zim right now is probably one of the better places for a missionary to be assigned to.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 02:50AM

I would be excited, except for the fact that life is tough there, and there may be no adequate medical facilities. But I think that there is always the option of medevac to South Africa. I'm surprised they send white kids there, rather than the "expendable" native kids. I'm sure the people are nice. It is figuratively the far side of the moon, so he will have to make big adjustments.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:15AM

A VERY interesting read, from/about a Harare, Zimbabwe missionary:

http://eldercazier.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:24AM

I could do stomach parasite tourism for less.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 01:29PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A VERY interesting read, from/about a Harare,
> Zimbabwe missionary:
>
> http://eldercazier.blogspot.com/

Fantastic insight (including some truly great photos!) into regular life in Zimbabwe, and what it is like to live there...

Thank you for this, EOD!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:35AM

Perfect place to send white American teenagers.
Make sure to not give them proper medical care while there.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 12:53AM

The MormonCult is practicing abuse indoctrinating these fine young people into serving two year missions at this age.

IT IS DISGUSTING, REVOLTING, AND CRIMINAL.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 03:15AM

"He has dealt with immense pain over the last several months but it has not impacted his work."

What an abusive cult! I wonder if his parents knew how bad his pain was. Shame on them, if they knew, and didn't bring him home.

I hope he recovers, but we'll never know.

My nephew had bad tooth pain for 4 months, during his mission to Chicago. The church wouldn't send him to the dentist, and made him wait the 4 months, until he was scheduled to go home. Ever had a tooth ache? Sleep was impossible. This poor guy was skin and bones, when he came home, having lost 50 pounds! The dentist couldn't save his two teeth, so he pulled them out, and put him on antibiotics.

This abuse is so unnecessary!

Lifetime physical and mental damage, all for a stupid, money-grabbing cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.