Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 05:56PM

Is Fundamentalism on the rise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Deep thoughts ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:31PM

What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:36PM

As BY said in the original discouses of BY."some people think too much".

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 12:51AM

What if Napoleon had a B-52 bomber at the Battle of Waterloo?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 04:15AM

If Napoleon at Waterloo had an army of debutantes. . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 01:52PM

No one got that?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:39PM

Remember
1.sit still
2. shut up
3. Pay tithing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 06:39PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 12:59AM

No. Fundamentalism is gasping for air.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 03:41AM

Is this something like political polarization?

Right-Wing members 'sticking to their guns', to earlier doctrines about polyg, blacks & PH, soon 2nd coming of Christ, etc?

Others embracing change: Temple rituals, coming of Christ seldom mentioned, etc?

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 10:15PM

What if Bruce Lee fought Batman?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 11:14PM

He did.

Batman/Green Hornet cross over tv episode.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 11:11PM

D@MN that internet putting idears in folks heads so they have access to wisdom and truth.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:41PM

I'm honestly surprised that more TBMs don't see this. I know that seminary is still around for the kids, but I don't know that they emphasize it like they used to. Or maybe they do, but it is less about learning doctrine and scripture and more about brainwashing, apologetics, and mission prep. I'm genuinely interested to know how the seminary curriculum has changed since I did it in the late 1980s.

We used to have "Know Your Religion" classes for the adults every 1-2 months where a guest speaker (often a BYU professor or CES employee) would come and give a fireside. I haven't seen one of those offered in ages. But that might be because I am pretty far out in the mission field (Olympic Peninsula, Washington State)

It's been 20 years since I was in college, so I don't know how things are with the church institute program either.

But the one area where it is obvious that the church is backing away from doctrine and theology is in the speeches and writings of the top 15 guys. You have to go back nearly 50 years to find anything even close to Joseph Fielding Smith or Bruce McConkie. The thought of any of the current 15 writing a book like "Mormon Doctrine" today is laughable. General Conference has become this mush of feel-good shit, some folksy anticdotes, and the constant reminders to pay tithing and attend the temple.

It's less McConkie and more Eyring-esque now. Both are painful to listen to, but at least McConkie could be nailed down to a set of beliefs that went deeper than, "stay in the church and go to the temple". At least there was some actual theological substance there rather than the gaslighting "I don't believe we teach that" bullshit.

Posted by: BradFree ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:19AM

The SDA Church watered down their insane doctrine(s) many years ago. The result: yet another blind evangelical “Christian” wannabe church.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:43AM

I remember hearing on a YouTube video that some people leaving the church are heading into Fundamentalist sects because they want to get back to the original teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Other than polygamy and a prophet at the head, the sects vary a little from each other. Some still teach (and practice sometimes) Blood Atonement. One of the saddest practices is kicking teenage boys and some young men out of the clan, so the older men can take the young girls as wives. The Boys are rootless because they are disowned, and young girls are deprived of their constitutional freedoms.

I think, however, that most deserters of Mormonism don't want anything to do with any Mormon sect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.