Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:14PM

My kid is going on a mission after a couple years of college. They are away at a leadership spring break trip and will be back tonight. The call arrived today in grandparent's mail. My kid is away at school by closer to them than us.

They are going to drive the call to my child and then we will all have a family opening thing via facetime.

Luckily my children aren't big into Mormon show and tell productions. Probably my not supporting them in anything but activities and musical numbers played a part. But we are reserved people more than we aren't.

I'm glad. Last thing I wanted was an extended family situation where I stick out like a sore thumb because it is church related. And I'm super conflicted with the whole thing.

I'm terribly depressed they are going to sell LDS to the world. I'm hoping they will have their horizon's broadened. And interestingly my wife is not really excited. She was a missionary and yet she is terrified for our child.

She and my youngest will only be going to SM tomorrow so they can come home for the big opening. Really I'm afraid for my child as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:21PM

and a mission certain convinced me "The Priesthood" , The B of M, The B of A, and the Church in general were malicious scams.

From kids I have seen coming back lately, the Mission as Conversion Tool is not working at all. And it seems like most missionaries spend very little time street contacting and bonking on doors - so the chances of getting assaulted, injured, killed etc is probably going down by quite a bit.

Date: March 19, 2018 12:25PM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and a mission certain convinced me "The
> Priesthood" , The B of M, The B of A, and the
> Church in general were malicious scams.

I hope that works for my child.

> From kids I have seen coming back lately, the
> Mission as Conversion Tool is not working at all.
> And it seems like most missionaries spend very
> little time street contacting and bonking on doors
> - so the chances of getting assaulted, injured,
> killed etc is probably going down by quite a bit.

Whew!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:41PM

I hope that your child gets a safe and interesting location. Keep us in the loop!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:59PM

summer Wrote:
> I hope that your child gets a safe and interesting location. Keep us in the loop!

This! When my son got his mission call to Mexico City I was mildly nervous about it. If it would have been to someplace more northern (like Juarez) I probably would have put my foot down. Still, EVERY email I sent him came with a warning to be careful and be aware of his surroundings at all times.

As far as the whole "lets open the mission calling" party/experience...I don't get it. When my calling came in the mail, nobody was home, I got it out of the mail box, opened it up, read it, threw it on the kitchen table for anyone else to read, and then I went to work. No big deal.

Date: March 19, 2018 12:28PM

Jaxson Wrote:
> As far as the whole "lets open the mission
> calling" party/experience...I don't get it.

Me neither. My kid didn't want one.

Date: March 19, 2018 12:27PM

They were "called" to Central America. And in explaining this to non-Mormons one of them said that if they were being "called" and didn't get a say in where they would go, they wouldn't.

It is so interesting to try and explain Moronism to people. They assume Mormonism is somewhat normal. When I told a group I was hanging out with in answer to a question, "Because Mormonism is a cult." Most people just stared blankly.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:56PM

Who put the pressure on your child to go besides the usual whackadoodles from TSCC?

His grandparents?

Any chance he's not as into the whole idea as others are pulling him along on a short leash to go on one?

Date: March 19, 2018 01:06PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Who put the pressure on your child to go besides
> the usual whackadoodles from TSCC?

All the people who call themselves Mormon. It wasn't particular people per say. The trend/fad is to go.

> His grandparents?

They are a huge factor in supporting the church and mission by association.

> Any chance he's not as into the whole idea as
> others are pulling him along on a short leash to
> go on one?

I don't think so. I think they are totally into it. They have struggled with me more than the church. It is something that is seen through the lens of loving grandparents, leaders, and a loving mother. I've been outplayed and I'm not that great of a parent. I love my kids but I have to work hard at it. I probably shouldn't have had kids. But every time I thought about that when I was young and reconverting myself to Mormonism I thought it was my duty.

I'm not a victim of my circumstances. My children are the victims of my poor choices. Mormonism is more than willing to take blame for them as long as it can take their time, talents, and all their lord has blessed from them.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:29PM

Any news on the call location?

Date: March 19, 2018 01:07PM

Central America.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 02:19PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 02:32PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Central America.

Thanks, EB. My bad, it seemed like the "Central America" discussion above was about somebody else :(

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:15PM

Is it a reasonably safe location?

Date: March 20, 2018 11:18AM

"Level 3: Reconsider Travel."

Nope.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:19PM

You must be quite concerned for his safety. Can your son start some sort of self-defense training before he goes to the MTC? Something like Krav Maga, which is highly effective in street fighting. It could help him in the event that he's robbed or mugged. Might not be a bad idea for him to increase his physical strength, too.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:00PM

I'm terrified for them. Great idea. I'll bring it up with them.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:31PM

It seems some of your parental authority has already been usurped to some degree. Your son's mail should be going to him directly at school or to your home, not to your inlaws. The fact that they are geographically closer to him really shouldn't enter into it.

notmonotlogged

Date: March 19, 2018 01:08PM

They are an adult. It isn't like I could change it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:43PM

Date: March 19, 2018 01:09PM

Thank you. You almost made me cry. It is a train wreck I saw coming a long time. Only now it is a reality.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 12:57PM

I have a daughter on a mission as we speak.

Sigh.

Thank goodness she stayed here in Canada, Maritimes.

There are scary places in the world. Maybe yours will stay in North America. Keep us informed.

My daughter absolutely loves the people and area, which is nice for her. And it's only 18 months.

Date: March 19, 2018 01:10PM

6 iron Wrote:
> My daughter absolutely loves the people and area,
> which is nice for her. And it's only 18 months.

I hope that happens for my kid.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:45PM

I love the Maritimes. We’ve only been to PEI and Nova Scotia.Only drove through NB to get there. I still want to see NF. The pictures remind me of Scotland.

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:00PM

My son just announced that he wants to go on a mission. He doesn't turn 18 until September, but many of his friends are getting their "calls" recently. I'm terrified for him.

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:17PM

Take heart! Lots of us wouldn't be here if we hadn't served missions.

Date: March 20, 2018 11:20AM

I know I wouldn't have jumped as fast once I learned about the "little flecks" of Mormon History had my mission not been a pressure cooker for how the church works in miniature.

Thanks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 08:47PM

Young people who don't have a 'firm' testimony, but have a zest for living make the best missionaries and have the most fun, with fun meaning not keeping the majority of the rules.

But how can you teach that to a TBM?

Date: March 20, 2018 11:23AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Young people who don't have a 'firm' testimony,
> but have a zest for living make the best
> missionaries and have the most fun, with fun
> meaning not keeping the majority of the rules.
>
> But how can you teach that to a TBM?

You can't. Teaching contrary information to true believers of anything requires personal experiences to reinforce the new information if they even consider it.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 08:56PM

You have that part right. A “ play by the rules “ person, probably isn’t sincere, or doing it for the wrong reasons .
They’re probably trying to impress someone, whether their heart is really in it or not,
If doesn’t matter what time you get up, pray, eat , go to bed, stay out tracting, etc
The ones not taking it too seriously are the ones more relaxed, and develop less issues down the road.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 09:47PM

Hey Elder! I hope this helps...several of my kids served LDS state-side missions. Between them, there was ONE convert. I doubt, given the circumstances of the individual, that convert is still active.

I did all the mission-Dad stuff expected—the farewell, homecoming, and MTC dropoff. The only thing I refused was the setting apart as I couldn’t stand the notion of my kids being “set apart” to convert apostates like me.

Write to your child, express your love. But, don’t try to argue or rebutte Mormonism. After my kids returned home, they quickly went back to being normal. I have great relationships with them, despite the church.

What will be hard will be the “faith-promoting” emails and letters home, they will be filled with bullshit (you know this from your neice’s emails.) I used to skim read and delete a lot.

Big hugs to you! Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 09:50PM by BYU Boner.

Date: March 20, 2018 11:24AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> What will be hard will be the
> “faith-promoting” emails and letters home,
> they will be filled with bullshit (you know this
> from your neice’s emails.) I used to skim read
> and delete a lot.

I'm hoping they don't wax zealous. If they do I don't know what I will do. They haven't tried to reconvert me...yet. Thanks.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:08PM

I have witnessed a bunch of Missionaries in the past 15
years or so. The new kid on the block is full of excitement.
Oh well it doesnt take long to figure out that the world
just really doesnt want what you are selling.

They like to eat food. They get tired of starving to death.
They miss movies. They miss home. They miss family phone
calls. They dont miss all the rejections.

Somehow, I think being an "Elder" is a wakeup call to reality.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:21PM

I never will understand an 18-year-old being called "Elder."

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:24PM

My family at the time of my mission call were not Mormons. My sister had served a mission with the Methodist Church. When I received my call to the Arizona Tempe Mission, my sister said, "I didn't know they had those kinds of problems there." LOL,I will never forget that.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:02PM

I must be dense. What kinds of problems?

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:34PM

Hi Elder Berry, the problems would be dirty water creating dire illness, extreme poverty, malnourishment leading to starvation, etc. Outside the church a mission is voluntary and can last years. One actually gets to know area and live among the people. They help through medical, engineering, and other training. My sister had gone to Africa. So when she heard the word mission along with Arizona, she was shocked.

Date: March 20, 2018 05:06PM

Funny!!! LOL!!!! Love it.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:09PM

Yeah, an "Elder at 18" sounds about right?

Its the same playbook of Doctrines and Convicts.

Promote the LEAST qualified to LEAD the masses!

Date: March 20, 2018 02:58PM

I think they use this to justify anything especially sending the face of youth, vim, and vigor to attract people.

http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/12/27c

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.