Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:01PM

I am not surprised.

Not long ago, I wrote about about a specific incident at the MTC, where the church attempted to cover up a sexual assault on a female teacher. Remember that the PH always gets a pass when it comes to inappropriate conduct.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:07PM

Boys will be boys, after all. And I'm sure they're good people from good mormon families, who were simply led astray. In fact, it's probably mostly the women's fault for tempting him. The women need to repent for their part in the assault.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:19PM

uhhsoyeah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boys will be boys, after all. And I'm sure they're
> good people from good mormon families, who were
> simply led astray. In fact, it's probably mostly
> the women's fault for tempting him. The women need
> to repent for their part in the assault.

Yes they always pull it was the woman's fault. I met a lady playing cards that told me a similar story that happened to her.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 10:21PM

That is right the female was asking for it by wearing her sexy white garments! Those garments get any man turned on.

Date: March 22, 2018 11:12PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
> That is right the female was asking for it by
> wearing her sexy white garments! Those garments
> get any man turned on.

Not too far off. Bishop obsessed over her chest. He thought that she had a great a boob job. The victim tried to jog his memory when she stated that she was flat chested with a padded bra.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:22PM

Wow.
Storage room in the basement of the MTC used to rape sister mishies.

I wish I was stunned...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:26PM

Is this the guy?

https://deseretbook.com/p/peace-unto-thy-soul-joseph-l-bishop-86004?ref=Grid%20%7C%20Joseph%20L.%20Bishop%20%7C%20Taxon%3A%2020669-2&variant_id=10678-ebook

If the allegations are true, writing a book about peace to a soul as a rapist is interesting.

Date: March 19, 2018 01:27PM

Yep, that's him.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:26PM

And just that quickly the page is down...

Date: March 19, 2018 03:31PM

Wow, yep.
A search for him on Deseret Book now yields no results.
Mormons rewriting history at breakneck speed!

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 01:35PM

Do they think that when they get to the celestial kingdom (!) that they will have so many wives that they wont beable to molest,beat or sexually assault women who arent their wives!!!

Its time that the leadership of the church realize this isnt about sex, its power. Come into the 20th century where all of these things are about power, from bishops going into dramatic sexual detail with children during private interviews to getting a pass from priesthood to abusing women, men and children under their control; men wanting power and will do whatever it takes to get that power. Its not about sex or anger. Its about low self esteem men wanting more and more power. All theyre really doing is protecting men that would slit apostles throats if by doing so they could be apostles and have all that god glory!! God!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 02:50PM

He also wrote “30 Ways to Love Your Mission.”

Maybe it’s 31 ways.

Date: March 19, 2018 03:06PM

Part of that title must have been cut off.
It was supposed to be, "30 Ways to Love Your Missionaries."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 07:22PM

That's funny.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 08:44AM

And Hie brings the BOOM!! Wow...

Posted by: gullwingsg ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 05:03PM

Maybe it was 50 Shades?

Date: March 19, 2018 03:11PM

I haven't quite gotten to the audio part when the interviewer drops the bombshell, but I wanted to make a point about these so-called leaders. He was asked two or three times if he could share an amazing spiritual experience while serving as the Buenos Aires (North) Mission President(79-82).

And he couldn't utter a single word. Not only that, he refused to identify any missionary because "it might offend somebody". My point is that the missionary "work" that these young men and women were doing was/is in vain. The leaders could care less.

For some reason, I expected to hear some sort of faith promoting story about bringing "Christ" or the "true gospel" to the good people of Argentina. Nope. Nada. Zilch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 03:13PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:02PM

This is just one reason the church is pushing for the new anti recording law.

Date: March 19, 2018 03:16PM

Probably.
But I'm not sure it would have mattered in this case -- the woman informs him she's recording it, and he doesn't object.

She mentions several times during the interview, as well, that all this is being recorded. Bishop never asks her to stop, or objects in any way.

Posted by: anon former mish ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:17PM

Does anyone know when this guy was MTC president? I'm wondering if I was there during his reign of terror.

Date: March 19, 2018 03:20PM

anon former mish Wrote:
> Does anyone know when this guy was MTC president?
> I'm wondering if I was there during his reign of
> terror.

1983-1986

And then he landed at safe harbor; aka BYU for 10 years.

Posted by: anon former mish ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:38PM

Looks like I was there under him.

Did his wife have some sort of nutritionist background? I remember the MTC president's wife telling us how horrible salt was, and that we shouldn't be eating much of it. At the time, I wondered about the wisdom of emphasizing this to a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds, mostly going to foreign missions where the makeup our our diet would be mostly out of our control.

Posted by: Canuck guy ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 05:58PM

I was there when he was MTC president. Not only that, he was the one who set me apart as a missionary because I had traveled to Utah too far ahead of time for my stake president to do it (I had gone to stay with the family of one of the missionaries who had taught me about 8 or 9 days ahead).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 04:39PM

I thought that reading the transcript was easier than tuning in to hear the whole thing. But the transcript is very long, too.

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/f/fd/2017-Joseph_L_Bishop-Transcript.pdf

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 07:36PM

I would say it's unbelievable, but it's all too believable.

It will be interesting to see how the church reacts. The church leaders will not be able to bury this news.

Date: March 20, 2018 09:09AM

Don't be expecting an apology anytime soon...just remember the prophetic words of Dallin Oaks on the topic of apologies:

"The church doesn't seek apologies, and we don't give them."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 10:29PM

Wow, the Mind screw that the MTC experience really is just was not enough to be inflicted on that sister missionary, so the priestDUD leader had to start to screw with her in a physical /literal way ...... in the finest traditions of MORmON founder pervert Joseph Smith !!!!

Date: March 20, 2018 04:39AM

It's not surprising that such a monster lurked, even thrived, in the church for so long. I think a lot of us have experienced terrible things at the hands of church leaders even if not as horrific as what this poor woman and the other victims endured. Similar things are of course happening to children and other vulnerable people all the time.

Stepping back from that tragedy for a moment, it will be fascinating to see how the church handles this. The recording and transcript are compelling, and someone is furiously erasing Bishop's life from the church's various websites. So the Q15 think Joe Bishop is guilty.

The complexity arises because of his status. He was president of (then) Weber State College, MTC president, mission president, and temple president. There is no way this man has not had the second anointing.

So here we have someone who serially committed the sin next to murder. More seriously, from the Q15's perspective, he is guilty of embarrassing the church. Which is more important: the sanctity of the second anointing or the church's reputation? I'm pretty sure what the answer will prove to be.

It's also significant that the campaign against interviews of children is underway and that conference is scheduled just 10 or so days from now. Can the church ignore the abuse scandal? I don't think they can. I think they have to announce a new policy or two right now so that everyone can claim that progress is being made. If they don't do something like that, if they stay silent, there are going to be a lot of furious people at conference.

This is a big deal.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 09:59AM

I feel sick to my stomach. I have not listened to nor have I read the transcripts. I have been following this story on several websites.

All those young men and women who put their trust in this Priesthood holder. All those students who trusted this school leader. All those people who attended the temple and trusted this priesthood holder. And look at what type of person he really was.

The Church at the conference needs to address this in a very detailed manner and the Church needs to explain how this happened and what it really means to the membership.

Now I am starting to understand the following.

1. Why no recordings of anything
2. Why no messages in Ensign from top leaders. The reason is they will not say anything about what is really happening and they really are supplying any real leadership to the members.
3. The church is really starting to look like it is run just like any other Church. No revelation from God, etc. That is why the Ward councils. The church knows it is not recieving any divine guidance so make it look like it is by passing it unto the locals. Then when the locals screw up they can say, "it was the locals not us. I am still shocked at the SP looking at his cell phone all through Sunday nights performance when we sang. That told me a lot about this Priesthood Holder. The fact that our Bishopric did not show up tell me a lot too. Its all about power and nothing else. The men like the power.

I would love to see this case go to court to really get the facts and the truth. Imagine someone on the stand saying, "This man has recieved his second annointing and is not accountable as this is not murder!!!"

My heart goes out to those young sisters. I am sure there is more to this story.

Posted by: hatmagic ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 11:27AM

We are told that every person who is selected for a calling, was chosen by god, through is servants, using discernment and inspiration.
So, either god did not care that this guy was going to harm young girls and let him be selected, even directed the leaders to select him....or, this was, and is, all directed by men.

"But he has his free agency!!"

Ah...No. THIS IS A MISTAKE IN A MAN MADE CHURCH, BY MEN WHO GOT FOOLED....AGAIN.

Date: March 20, 2018 01:07PM

There is a picture of this guy at:

https://www.weber.edu/PresidentsOffice/PastPresidents.html

He was president of Weber State between 1972 - 1978.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 01:17PM by edzachery.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:48PM

$5 says that Bishop will pass away before this really goes anywhere. Not that he will be murdered or suicided, but he will slip away back to “that god who gave him life.”

The picture is exactly as I imagined too.

Date: March 20, 2018 02:17PM

So what are the chances that Bishop's family does NOT know about this yet? After reading the transcript, he seemed very concerned that his family would find out about his "activities" involving young sisters...

There has had to be somebody who has reached out to a member of Bishop's family, "out of concern," to tell them that they heard something about this guy.

Wow. To be a fly on the wall during THAT family council...

Date: March 20, 2018 02:47PM

Yes, Bishop will probably not pay for this, at least not in any meaningful way. But the church's internal procedures and its coverups will get considerable public attention. And that will lead to more awareness and perhaps less such abuse in the future.

I think that is the silver lining to this very, very dark cloud.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 02:35PM

Wowzer. I just spent my lunch hour reading the transcript. I knew very early into it that there were going to be lots of triggers. I should have stopped, but I sat here crying and reading it all and feeling it all. I have to say that I have a little sense of respect for the guy. He didn't deny it and even the things he claimed he couldn't remember, he didn't deny because he knew that he could have done it and it fit in with his pattern of behavior.

And I understand her brokenness, her feelings of needing acknowledgment of it and thinking she could get some sense of closure. I don't think you can. Especially when one incident that seemed so minor to the perpetrator that he doesn't remember the details made such an impact on the decisions you make in life from that point on. For me it's been 50 years. A few less than that from the time a perverted bishop decided he could help me with things that tortured me. Of course, that required lots of sex talk too. In fact, the bishop's "help" affected me for the worse, so much more than the actual incident ever did.

You go on with your life. You make life-altering decisions. But it can take a long time before you realize what you did, and most importantly, WHY. A very small part of me feels badly that this is coming out and as he knows, will deeply affect his family. It garners a little respect in my book. But most of me knows it absolutely has to. Girls and women need to never have to be in a powerless position like that with a guy who thinks he has superiority and power and authority over them. We need to be able to train our daughters and granddaughters that what holds with normal, everyday men and strangers holds with men in a church or school or family. You don't need to be alone with them and they don't need to be asking you anything remotely sexual or display any inappropriate touching, even hugging. And even handshakes could use a little monotoring.

Will be glad to see this in the National News.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 10:13AM by NormaRae.

Date: March 20, 2018 02:43PM

Apparently, Bishop confessed minimal details to his church handler, Elder Wells. Apparently, Elder Asay was supposed to call a council to discuss repentance after the sister reported the rape to LDS leaders. Such meeting never happened. Bishop says on the tape that his conscience is clear because he's repented of it. [A sure sign of his 2nd Annointing and the typical PH arrogance.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 02:48PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 02:51PM

Mormons are Winners!

Posted by: anon202018 ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:41PM

The "conscience is clear" is typical of PH molesters whose leaders did not discern by spirit how deep the abuse went, and in this case didn't pursue justice based on what they did know. The sins are no longer his, they are to be carried by these leaders. Also launching into stories of spiritual experiences that were had after wrongdoing, validation that god believes they are still worthy therefore they somehow get to rise above their misdeeds. They are special, God sees these things differently than we do, etc.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 02:32PM

Aren't you supposed to make reparations as far as you can?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:12PM

Posted by: tig: Re: Former MTC president admits to sexual assault of sister missionary new...And just that quickly the page is down...

P: Ditto--couldn't find anything re. same.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 08:27PM

Tip of the iceberg?

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 11:11PM

"limp penis." ha!!!

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 07:49PM

I wish one of my family members was still alive. They were staff when he was president. I'd love to know their opinion of that man. Probably glowing; they were Mormon too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 09:09PM

They told us that we had to save ourselves and how horrible of a sin it was if we didn't. I lived in fear of ever having to talk about sex with a leader.

Then I had the issues with my gay boyfriend/husband where they wanted us to experiment to get him turned on.

Then stuff like this with them not punishing the leaders for sexually abusing others.

They tell us it is important, but then they make it seem like it really isn't important. The message definitely is that the rest of us aren't important, just them. That is one thing that really hit home for me when I went through the issues back in 1983/1984--that my soul wasn't worth as much as his and that I was just a lab rat. I had no value to them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.