Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 09:14PM

by that, one application would be to apply for a TR knowing you can't answer the questions truthfully;

also, the interviewer KNOWS the facts of the matter, such as:

Dishonesty

word of wisdom violations

abuse or violence to another individual, possibly a family member

failure / refusal to pay tithing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 10:17PM

If you don't have a testimony, bear a testimony (in other words, lie) and eventually you'll get one! That was Packard, right?

"What'er thou art,
Act well thy part."

David O. McKay, telling us to pretend...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 10:23PM

Yes, It was called a full time (MORmON) mission.

FTR, I hated it !!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 11:07PM

I well remember a letter to the editor of the Provo Daily Herald back in the late 80's or early 90's. BYU had as a new condition of employment the requirement to hold a temple recommend. The letter basically said that requirement would make skillful liars of many of employees of BYU.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:41AM

Yes, every time some sort of report that involved numbers. As a missionary that did not leave the apartment for 8 days due to an illness (yet I somehow taught discussions). And I won't go into the sacrament attendance when I was a ward clerk trying to please the bishop.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:28AM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, every time some sort of report that involved
> numbers. As a missionary that did not leave the
> apartment for 8 days due to an illness (yet I
> somehow taught discussions). And I won't go into
> the sacrament attendance when I was a ward clerk
> trying to please the bishop.

Oh, that last one. I had the same thing happen to me when I was a ward clerk. The Bishop was never happy with the numbers I gave him. So we both counted one day and ended up with the same numbers. So he told me from then on to add 15 on to whatever I counted "to make up for late arrivals, people in the hall, and using the restroom".

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 11:49AM

Yes. My mission president did.

When I was transferred to Barbados after 7 months in St. Vincent, we were instructed to wear P-day clothes, no name tags, and say we were tourists when we went through customs.

The group that came in a few months before my group did the same. one guy in that group was asked by the customs agent "are you a mormon missionary?" and he replied "no."

I had a great MP and I totally enjoyed my mission, but this was one instance of pure "lying for the lord."

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:32PM

I was a convert to the Church for 30 years. About halfway through that journey, I was ready to quit the Church.

Confessing my sins was not working. I would confess. I was told not to take the sacrament that week unless I stopped my sin. I was able to have the sacrament honestly 2-3 times per year. A temple recommend was totally beyond me.

My constant weekly failures were affecting my mental health. For 6 days/week I was a successful, capable person. Then on Sundays I was continually a total failure. Why should I continue subjecting myself to a religion that was such a degrading experience?

I was done. Notwithstanding the horrible storm that would result in my home life if I was excommunicated (resigning hadn't occurred as yet), I was done with Church.

A bishop convinced me that before I quit the Church I should see a counselor from LDS Family Services. The counselor was a Stake President from another province.

The counselor/SP told me that my confessions were "wrong." He said that my private faults were only a problem if I was "working on that particular area." With a hinting wink, we both knew that I wouldn't mention any of those sins to a bishop or during a temple recommend interview.

How strange? This was the first I learned about how the Church really operated.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 01:26PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:00PM

my (now former) wife submitted wildly/blatantly FALSE (in her favor, of course) financial statements to the court in order to satisfy her GREED;

I showed them to our bishop, who acknowledged they were false/mis-leading...

But then he IMMEDIATELY fabricated excuses for her, allowing her to continue with temple recommend-privileges.

I asked him: "What about HONESTY?"

all I got was a blank stare.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:27PM

Yes, via the sin of omission.

I would be allowed to remain a member of the church (per my Stake President), if I would keep my mouth shut reg. Packer's attempts to have me excommunicated. (I agreed, as I would rather quit than be X'd--as that leaves a stain on the persons's reputation and good character.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.