Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 11:46AM

Last night's pillow talk was about what happened to VT, HT. I took the initiative and asked my very believing wife if she was okay with the changes to Visiting Teaching. I knew she was a devoted V-teacher but didn't really like it that much.

She told me that she was okay. She seemed a bit perplexed. It was like she hadn't had enough time to process such a change. She also seemed reticent to talk about it.

Once I got her talking she said that not reporting meaningless numbers will be nice. She thought that the numbers meant nothing to no one. They were just checking off a list of names and nothing really meaningful was happening in the people's lives she visited. She tried to really ask about the people she visited and never dropped stuff off or mailed stuff. She wanted to get to know her people. If they didn't want her to visit that was fine. She wanted honesty over checking off a list of names.

And about Home Teaching, she could have cared less. She said that we were rarely taught and whenever we had a friendly, caring person they were only our teacher for a few months and then on to the next pair who didn't care.

And ironically, our neighbors are Mormon and we used to be closer to them. They have started giving us the cold shoulder and rarely accepting invites as well as never inviting us to do anything. It might be because our kids are going to school and their eldest is married sitting in an apartment "bored." I don't know but our relationship has become strained.

So a couple of months ago the neighbor woman gave a RS lesson on VT. My wife said she went on and on and at one point pointed out that my wife was her neighbor and had just that day been assigned to her as a Visiting Teacher. She told the room of women how my wife and her were so close that they would use shopping trips and get together as VT opportunities. Then 2 months later the VT is dropped.

We both knew that our neighbor was speaking for the benefit of the other women - not my wife.

So, in conclusion, at least one Mormon will miss the social opportunities but not the BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 11:48AM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 07:32PM

ministering, it is going to be bad news for those of us who choose not to be mormon including some of those who have resigned. We are fair fellowshipping opportunities and this will just make it worse.

I requested no VT or HT while I was still a mormon, but inactive and they agreed to not send them. Now I'm going to be fair game I'm afraid as I live in the same ward area I have been in for 32 years.

I can actually pinpoint some of those who will start ministering to me.

I have to tell about my sister's HTs. They have been stalking her. She hasn't been active mormon for 30 or more years. They just will not leave her alone even if she is mean. She has to keep her blinds closed as she lives in a condo and they can come and stare in her window to her dining room. She's about had it. I told her today that there will be no more HT, but you want to bet that this couple will now minister to her?

Date: April 02, 2018 10:37PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can actually pinpoint some of those who will
> start ministering to me.

I've been an unsuccessful reactivation opportunity for going on 15 years. It would require more new blood than is available for their ministrations to start again.

Good luck. Maybe because I have a spouse still in, I'm somewhat protected?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 11:45PM

His longtime HT has become a good friend over the years, and he knew better than to bug me about the church after I resigned. On the occasions that he learned I was having surgery, he always asked if I wanted a blessing. I always thanked him and declined, but said I would appreciate a prayer on my behalf from him and his wife (whom I consider a good friend.)

Now and again, someone else would come by for HT duty. If I knew them and liked them, I would usually stay for the visit. If I didn't know them (and/or didn't like them) I would excuse myself and go to my home office.

As I see it, if you no longer a member of their organization, you aren't under any obligation to listen to them.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:52AM

> "... if you [are] no longer a member of their [dis]organization, you aren't under any obligation to listen to them.
>

Poor morMons; feel like you've got to listen to some sap just because they are a LDS - lazy dull sinner - too.

Know Obligations!

In Mormonism, there are lots.
Most are deeply hidden.
Many more are assumed.
They are NEVER ENDING.
They'll run you into the ground.
Six feet under, little insect!

You are OBLIGATED... TO buy, eat, puke, BELIEVE and worship the BS (blasphemous secrets), even though the messages are stale, inconsistent, contradictory, outdated and impossible by the time it reaches it's intended audience, the lazy dull sinners (LDS).

M@t

Date: April 05, 2018 11:32AM

catnip Wrote:
> Now and again, someone else would come by for HT
> duty. If I knew them and liked them, I would
> usually stay for the visit. If I didn't know them
> (and/or didn't like them) I would excuse myself
> and go to my home office.

If they even bother to try and HT I give each person/pair one chance. If they try and reactivate much, are annoying and/or acting like this is an assignment instead of a social opportunity I never again join their visit. But maybe now, since it has been probably a few years since we've had HT it will officially be over?

> As I see it, if you no longer a member of their
> organization, you aren't under any obligation to
> listen to them.

I think you aren't obliged to listen even as a member. My wife said that if she doesn't like them, she will never accept another visit.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 10:04AM

I'm actually more of a target. She isn't here for most of the year, but the ward adores her. All her attempts and their attempts obviously have not worked and never will. It only makes me more determined to make their efforts obviously not working.

Like the neighbors 2 doors down who let her live with them after she came back from Alaska because of our falling out while she was in Alaska. Just shows them what a bitch I really am. One of the neighbors, who has always liked me and actually comes to talk to me about things she hasn't liked about her kids' missions, is the one who took my daughter in. Her husband was the bishop when my daughter went back to church. She told the neighbor in between that she was hopeful it wouldn't effect our friendship, but that they had prayed about it and felt it was the right thing to do. It didn't last long and my daughter was living home again.

BUT our friendship is over and I'm sure she knows it. I've completely ignored her since.

Let the ministering begin.

Date: April 05, 2018 11:34AM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
> Let the ministering begin.

You and me both. I dare them. I remember the last leadership push. I had a Stake Pres councilor and I think the EQ Pres come by years ago. I told them I was an atheist. I warned them that if they want to get into it I'll be sharing information they probably wouldn't like.

They didn't like it.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:56AM

Mormons can call Home Teaching or Visiting Teaching "Ministering" or whatever they want. They can record numbers or not if they choose. They can stop providing a message from the First Presidency or continue dictating their monthly messages.

It will all be quite irrelevant because the success or failure of their "Ministering" will depend on the personalities of those "Ministering" - not the formula they pass on through revelation from Salt Lake. Since the LDS Church discourages independent thought, I doubt that many of the people doing their "Ministering" will make those connections required to truly make a difference in anyone's lives.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:22PM

Yep. As you put it, IRRELEVANT...

And IRREVERENT...

Just like all other LDS programs (and de-programs).

M@t

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 08:37PM

the MORmONS new ministering program is going to e vastly more effective than the old home teaching /visiting programs ......just like right side twix is much better tasting than left side twix!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QpPNcT-J4

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 01:06PM

The last time I was visted by the Mormon robots was in 2015. I cooperated and listened, but my heart was already gone from the church. After asking if they could do anything for me, I said no and was never taught again. I hope to never be ministered to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 01:23PM by lazylizard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.