Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: loveleigh ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 08:39PM

Just ranting... Gotta love those Mormon friends who think their marriage is more valuable because it’s “eternal”. My hubby and I are going strong after 2 years of being married NOT in the temple, but ironically our venue had a view of the temple in the distance and my family members acted more like they were attending a funeral. I have countless numbers of friends who are on their second or 3rd “eternal” marriage. It’s like they have to post that they’re going to be together for eternity to convince themselves that “families are forever”, but the first one was just a trial run right? It’s hard to be with someone for eternity when you’re only together for 2 months before getting married.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 08:49PM

Sometimes I secretly hope there IS "eternal marriage," but only for mormons.
Some of them deserve to be stuck with each other for eternity :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 08:55PM

Not to quibble, Hie, but Dante reserved a special place in Inferno for Francesca di Rimini and Paolo. Eternal marriage at its finest!

Date: April 02, 2018 09:15PM

That was only because he lived before Joe Smith.
Had he known, he would have written in more space for mormons! :)

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 09:44PM

Dante would have written in a special part of hell for Mormons, where they get to practice eternal marriage, especially if they married someone after a couple of months in order to avoid the sin of premarital sex.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 10:19AM

Many mormon women I know don't want to be with their husbands except for the fact of being a forever family. Even the bishop's wife (my neighbor) some 15 years or so ago came to me to ask how the ward would see her leaving her husband. She had been looking for apartments. She said that once they raised the kids, there was nothing left. I was separated at the time and I made some suggestions to her and told her what a hell it was to be going through a divorce.

I just had one of my old VT stop me in the grocery store to tell me what a bastard her husband is and how he has been treating her. Her adult son was also preaching to her and beating her up emotionally for not being perfect like they are. I need to go talk to her again today. She talked to me for 2 hours in the grocery store.

I get this a lot since I'm out and they feel safe talking to me.

My aunt is married to an absolute bastard. I've NEVER liked him and don't consider him family. She has to be hoping it isn't forever, though she puts on a good show. She could have done so much better.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 10:22AM

some years back about fake relationships.

I don't know, which is fake and which isn't? My temple marriage to my gay "ex" or my 13 year relationship to my old boyfriend and we aren't married? I've been in a real relationship with my boyfriend longer than my marriage actually lasted. We don't need a paper to make us NOT FAKE. I'd call my marriage fake.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 09:45PM

The divorces I've seen in my family had the stated reason as lack of money made by the husband. My cousin had a construction business and built his wife a big house, but it still wasn't what she grew up with. Another wife said, "I'm not going to live like a pauper!"

I keep asking family how you can have a super-duper eternal marriage, and blow it up for such reasons.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 03:15AM

Eternal by definition means with out beginning or ending, so persons can NOT enter into an eternal marriage because that would be a beginning to a marriage, so that marriage certainly could NOT be an eternal one by definition.

Posted by: Here ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:30AM

I married a nevermo. One time , while visiting my parents, I went to there ward. They had a newly married couple giving the talks and both of them bore their testimony of how great it was to be married in the temple because if you got married anywhere else, you weren’t really married. Everyone in the audience was smiling and nodding in agreement, except my dad, he was mad! My family was always treated really well for about 3 months each time we moved. Then they figured out dh was never going to join and we were treated like we had the plague. But, you keep at it because “ the church is true” until you find out it’s not, and you wonder why you ever put up with all that crap

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 10:23AM

What they are really saying is that the Mormon church is more important than their spouse. The title of the marriage--Temple Marriage--is more important than the two people in it. How romantic!

If marriage is all that is keeping you together, then you aren't really married.

Ball and Chain for eternity anyone?

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:14AM

I remember my byu religion class, where we talked about eternal marriage. The professor made some awful comments about people, who marry outside of the temple...it turned out that there was a girl in my class, who didn't marry in the temple. He couldn't believe it...a student at byu not being married in the temple??

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:28AM

Don't some "reformer" members believe it's more important to enjoy a regular wedding (so everyone can attend and celebrate) then wait to go to the temple for the sealing?

I know that the church doesn't like that idea.

It seems that all Mormon marriages end the same way as everyone else on this planet: annulment, divorce and death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 12:08PM by messygoop.

Date: April 05, 2018 12:20PM

That's really the practice anywhere else, except the US. My European friends have to get married civilly first by law. I like that idea. This way anyone can enjoy the wedding.

Date: April 06, 2018 09:55AM

Same in the very, VERY religious Philippines (where I got hitched).
A church (Catholic) wedding there has zero legal standing. It's entirely a religious ceremony. You can have one if you want, but the only legally valid marriage is done by their equivalent of a "justice of the peace," which is an entirely secular position.

I got married on a beach near Davao, by a JoP. We skipped the religious ceremony entirely :)

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:05PM

I married a nevermo and my TBM mother treated my wedding like a funeral too. In fact, in my wedding photo album there is a picture of my parents and older brother watching the ceremony. Dad looked happy(ish), and my mother has the most evil pissed off look on her face! I would get rid of the picture, but I keep it in there as a reminder of the hell she put me through when I left their household and the religion at the same time, as well as how she tried to manipulate my entire wedding. We chose a Sunday morning to get married. She tried to tell us we couldn't, and withdrew financial help for our venue. We did it anyway....it was a rainy and beautiful morning wedding. Even my uber TBM Utah relatives drove to CA to attend and didn't make a stink about attending a Sunday wedding. They didn't have to, but they came.

When I was breaking away from my parent's rule and tssc, my mother kept yelling at me that I always talked about a temple marriage as a girl. Um, no I never did such a thing! In fact, my mother was the one who plastered one of those Mormon posters (remember those?!) in my bedroom (when I was young) of a girl looking longingly at the SLC temple. Ick!

Posted by: Dan Bo ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 01:43AM

I've had 3 different lovers in my life. They correlated with my path in life. One was a girl, the next was a mother, the current is a women(who got me out of TSCC)

Lucky for me they were all named Polly (aka Palimama)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 03:02AM

Starter Marriages is the current term...

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 01:27PM

My mother and father got a temple marriage. After 25+ years and ten biological kids (no twins) they are seperated and neither has the balls to get divorce papers. I saw their seperation coming, but I never said anything about it. I guess it helped me realize what a fraud the church is.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 01:36PM

I get really annoyed with one of my friends because she’s fond of saying, “It’s too bad it’s not a real marriage,” if I remark on how much in love a couple is, but they aren’t Mormon.

She said that about my parents, who never argued, were best friends and were happily married for 66 1/2 years.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:53AM

I would never have the patience to tolerate a remark like that. Seriously, that would probably be the last conversation we ever had.

Date: April 08, 2018 10:28AM

I agree! How awful. Their marriage is more real than any fake Mormon sealing ceremony.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:46AM

morMons confuse RIGHT NOW
THIS eternal moment
With AFTER DEATH
The FUTURE
LATER...

In other words, they put off living (assuming they know it all, though it's actually very little) for tomorrow/ after death, when "eternal" will have NO USE.

They are told they are "better".
They'll believe almost everything.

M@t

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 10:57AM

The one person I've known in this lifetime that may have been my "eternal" companion, was a never Mo. I dreamt about him the day before we met in real life that we were on our "third honeymoon," while standing on the tarmac at an airport waiting to board our plane.

He spoke to me in a distinctive deep voice, wearing a beret cap over his glistening blonde hair, in the moonlight, and light of the airport. I wondered all the next day who this person was, and why I'd have a dream of such a complete stranger with so much detail? He looked like a young Keith Carradine, tall and handsome.

The very next night there he was: announcing the guest speaker at my first ever "volunteers in corrections" meeting I was attending as a Big Sister volunteer in my hometown. I was gobsmacked. Down to the glistening blonde hair, minus the cap, with the distinctive voice, etc. It was the man literally of my dreams.

Then he died at 29, unexpectedly. When I was 22. I'd dreamt of his death several months before it happened, but didn't honestly know what to make of it until it became a reality.

Following his death but before I'd been told by one of my stepsisters, as I was across the country at the time, I had yet another dream of him and I married in heaven. We were riding a white horse. White horses I learned later do symbolize marriage.

Our only date was one I dreamt of (again another dream,) the night before he called me up to ask me out for later that same day. Why things didn't click in this lifetime for us to get married, I still ask myself all the time. We were both very young and I was fully TBM when we met. He was a scientist who was an agnostic or an atheist. I hadn't been to college, he had. But we were somehow destined to be together and were brought together by some divine purpose greater than us both. And then he died.

The first dream I had of us being on our third honeymoon, took me some time before realizing that it most likely meant we'd known each other in previous lifetimes. This life was our third reincarnation where we met again. And we're destined to meet again in yet another lifetime or more. Because of my TBM beliefs, I didn't know what to make of that at the time.

The mystery runs deep, and I have more questions than answers. But it isn't a Mormon eternity, or a "celestial" marriage. It means there is life after life, ad infinitum to me. What is bound on earth is bound in heaven, I too believe (not necessarily a Mormon concept, or even a Christian one even though that is in NT scripture.)

When I was LDS I asked once if he and I could be married by proxy in the LDS temple. I was told yes, we could be. I know of other people who've had this happen. That was one other reason I stayed with TSCC for longer than I might have was this idea that he and I would be sealed in the temple on this side of eternity. But I left before that could happen.

I don't need the cult running interference for me when it totally messed with my life and that of my family's for too many years of our lives. It took more than it gave, and you don't get that back again what was lost.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 11:02AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.