Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 04:56PM

https://hellogiggles.com/news/funeral-potatoes/

No idea if they're better than your local relief society president's version :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 05:16PM

I am now charging fearlessly back in time 70 years. I am 12 years old and a member of our ward dies. A staple at Mormon funerals at that time was "scalloped Potatoes" Which are the basis of what is now know as funeral potatoes. I don't recall a single funeral in my pre-20's years that did not include these.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 05:37PM

They don't call the "funeral potatoes" for nothin'!

They have been present at almost all the Mormon funerals I've ever been to. No one knows who brings them; they just show up on the table.

I think one serving contains 400 calories. Another reason they're called "funeral" potatoes.

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:40PM

Mother Who Knows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
No one knows who
> brings them;

My guess is that it's one of The Three Nephites.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:52PM

Posted by: Charlie1942 ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 01:52PM

It's gotta be The Three Nephites as John the Beloved doesn't cook at all.

Posted by: tater rater ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 02:42PM

"I think one serving contains 400 calories. Another reason they're called "funeral" potatoes."

That's a great line. I've actually heard them called heart-attack potatoes. I haven't had them in years. but I do have to admit to craving them occasionally.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 05:42PM

Yeah, it's probably a Mormon thing.

>"Augason Farms is actually an emergency food supplier that sells products that can be stored for months at a time — products that can be quickly, and easily, made."

Emergency foods, full of preservatives.

Date: April 04, 2018 05:45PM

Augason Farms
CONTACT INFORMATION
ADDRESS
1911 S. 3850 W. SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84104

Gee, big surprise, they're from Salt Lake!

And here's the obit of the company founder:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=philip-abner-augason&pid=16908954

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 05:47PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 06:38PM

When I was reading that obit, an ad popped up from Ancestry.com asking if I wanted to know more about the Augason name....always be selling!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 02:14PM

when he died, the autopsy found his ventricles clogged with a sour cream/ cream of mushroom soup mixture.

Date: April 05, 2018 08:16PM

ROFL!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 06:57PM

I was at my ex's home Sunday for Easter dinner and she served some very nice "funeral" style potatoes, something that she's served many times.

Not sure if she's taken them to a funeral or not.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 07:09PM

My home ward always served funeral potatoes after the funeral. At my father's funeral there were five kinds--every family has their own recipe tho they are similar. I sampled them all. Three of them were amazing. I had seconds of all of them.

I have my own recipe. I love them.

The R.S. pres was lamenting that they were called that. Said they were so good they deserved a better name. They've been funeral potatoes forever and I say don't mess with history. Of course telling a Mormon not to "mess with history" is not only useless but a joke. of ya know what I mean.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 07:10PM

and still make them taste really good. Everyone I make them for loves them and they ask me to bring them to family dinners because they like mine the best.

I like them and I eat them. Sure I'm overweight, but not just from eating funeral potatoes. I had less food to eat during the bad years and worked myself almost to death taking care of 2 kids, a house, a yard, and working 2 jobs, but I gained weight instead of lost. I gain weight with stress. I wasn't forever eating.

I've lost significant weight, but not by giving up funeral potatoes. I don't make them all that often anymore, but I think they get a bad rap. I also make au gratin potatoes. My kids prefer funeral potatoes, as does my boyfriend.

I don't know that I'll try those premade ones from Wal-Mart. They are so easy to make, why have to buy premade ones?

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 07:35PM

Would love your recipe if it’s not a family secret!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:07PM

Where are they in Wal-Mart stores!??

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:08PM

Over by the caskets!

Date: April 05, 2018 01:57PM

Ha ha. You again!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:23PM

I may check them out the next time I'm at Wally World.

Last time I had them was at a cousin's funeral last year. Food was served by the RS where she'd grown up. They actually complimented the overcooked ham following the service that day. I couldn't eat very much of either. They reminded me too much of death.

With the smell of formaldehyde stinking up the entire church house, I'd had my fill.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 10:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 10:26PM

I had green jello salad with canned vegetables in it and plenty of other typical mormon food, but surprisingly never had funeral taters growing up.

So a few weeks ago I googled recipes and made one. It was delicious. I chose a recipe that used the little diced potatoes, but next time I'll try the grated hash brown taters.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 11:00PM

No reason oligarchs can't enjoy them!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 11:57AM

Just for the record, funeral potatoes are not restricted to LDS settings. They are a staple of lots and lots of after-funeral meals in may parts of the US.In fact, people from other churches make jokes about them also.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 12:37PM

Lutheran's server them at the dead spread frequently. They appeal to us, they are white and not spicy.

Date: April 05, 2018 01:45PM

I live where there are no Mormons I know of. Oddly enough though, I have one co-worker who is exMo--excommunicated twice for the same "crime." They just lost the paperwork and so they did it all over again. Springville, Ut. Many years ago. What can I say?

So I told her about Walmart Funeral Potatoes and she already new. We started reminiscing about them (she has brought me some of hers to try) and another NeverMo co-worker who was listening to us went to WallMart that very night just to get some as we made them sound awesome. They didn't have any but told her she could order them on line. Get this. They told her they didn't stock them because they thought they would be upsetting to people.

So she ordered them and can pick them up at the store when they come in. I am sure they wouldn't scare any customers in Utah as they do here-----in civilization. :)

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 01:53PM

My Catholic mother made the same thing called scalloped potatoes, but not for funerals, just to eat at home. I never heard that term until I met Mormons.

Date: April 05, 2018 03:19PM

Jersey Girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Catholic mother made the same thing called
> scalloped potatoes, but not for funerals, just to
> eat at home. I never heard that term until I met
> Mormons.

Funeral potatoes are not the same as scalloped potatoes. Scalloped would not be as heavy a dish typically.

Funeral potatoes are like loaded potatoes, with bacon pieces, cheese, maybe sliced green onions, loaded with butter & cream, etc. Really a very rich dish. It's like a stuffed potato, only made on a large scale in a large casserole dish. I'd prefer scalloped potatoes to funeral potatoes, because they aren't as loaded with other ingredients. They can be made with hash browns, diced, or cubed, etc, unlike scalloped that are thinly sliced.

Typical ingredients for scalloped potatoes:

3 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
9 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
6 tablespoons butter, diced and divided
salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 cups whole milk, or as needed

While ingredients for funeral potatoes from a Utah website:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
One 30-ounce bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, lightly thawed
One 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar
1 1/2 cups lightly crushed corn flake cereal

The last time I had some it also had bacon pieces added. It was really over the top!

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 09:53PM

The recipe I used had potato chips in place of the corn flakes. And several TBSP of melted butter poured on top. Of POTATO CHIPS! LOL Boy it was good though.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:30PM

Talk about yin and yang! I never ate my mother's scalloped potatoes as a child because the too-liquid ingredients bubbled up and looked like phlegm.
Jazz them up with a little cheese, more onion, garlic, sour cream OR condensed soup, and it would have been a different story.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 08:04PM

My Catholic grandmother made a casserole she called scalloped potatoes, which is similar to Mormon funeral potatoes, but she used sliced, raw potatoes, onion soup mix, and it was topped with shredded cheddar cheese. The potatoes were cooked by the time the casserole was done baking. She got the recipe from some magazine in the 50's probably as an ad to sell cream of mushroom soup, and it became a cheap side dish to feed her large family, especially for holiday dinners where she would have almost 20 people over for dinner.

I didn't know about Mormon funeral potatoes until I was an adult, and had some at a ward dinner when I was with my TBM ex-husband.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 02:10PM

Mormons have Funeral Potatoes. Lutherans have Hotdish (with the prominent sub-specialty Hamburger Hotdish). Campbells ships Cream of Mushroom soup to Minnesota in tanker cars.

Do not ever refer to them as "a casserole". This is blasphemy and will be dealt with severely.

And if you want real "heart-attack-on-a-plate", one word.
Poutine.

Date: April 05, 2018 03:26PM

And whatever you do, no tomato based hotdish at a funeral. People might spill on their Sunday go to meeting clothes and they would stain. Cream of Mushroom soup does not show.

Date: April 05, 2018 07:35PM

That's funny. Tomato based hot food dishes are never ruled out for Jewish Sabbath onegs.

Although they don't use pork products, non-kosher.

Date: April 05, 2018 11:06PM

Tomato based hot dish always showed up at the Luther League potluck. Then when the Lutheran jell-o melted into it, you had no color difference.

Always served on cheap bendy paper plates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 11:07PM by sbg.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 07:25PM

I for one love funeral potatoes. my older sister makes the best ones and serves then at Thanksgiving . I am getting hungry thinking about them .

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 07:49PM

Amyjo, my mother did put cheddar cheese in her scalloped potatoes, but otherwise the recipe was pretty much what you said, if I remember correctly. She never used canned soup in anything she made, we just ate it as soup especially if home from school sick. With grilled cheese sandwich, still a good lunch.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 02:25PM

My husband makes fabulous scalloped potatoes. He usually also puts cheese on them, which technically makes them “Au Gratin” potatoes I guess. Any way he does them, I love them!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 08:01PM

For a special treat—

Roll uncooked funeral taters into balls. Dip balls into a beaten milk/egg mixture. Roll balls in cornflake crumbs. Let set about 10 minutes to set the crust. Deep fry for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Then eat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 08:02PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 09:01PM

I don't think many people make authentic funeral potatoes anymore, where you start with whole potatoes, parboil them and shred them yourself. I think using frozen hash browns is cheating. :D

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 09:42PM

Funeral taters beat the seeds out of tuna sammiches made with love the day before and left on the counter till aunt hildegard trots them over to the luncheon...how do you spell metamucil

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.