Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Internet junkie ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:23PM

Say it isn't so. Wi-fi is being eliminated from LDS meething houses. Talk about a huge step back in time. Will they take away hallway phones next. Make sure there is absolutely NO contact with the outside world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Internet junkie ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 09:00AM

I didn't notice it being a hoax. My apologies. I picked it up from a very devout lady. She must have not realized it either.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:27PM

Such a step would make sense.

Far more people have mobile data plans than did when the church installed WiFi years ago. The members will still have connectivity and the church won't have the expense of maintaining (and censoring and spying on) the wireless infrastructure at each building.

I don't see a problem.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:33PM

Yeah, that's really going to help motivate the youth that don't like church to begin with.

Way to go!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:34PM

from the cited article:

"Although we have tremendous respect for our pioneer heritage, the ‘Pioneer47’ password will no longer be functional on church WiFi. The new wireless password will only be given to members of the bishopric."

This seems, to me, that nothing is being dismantled, that the wifi is still there, and it's implied that it's going to be one universal password, but only members of the bishoprics will have that password...

So it is a virtual certainty that the password will become known to non-bishopric people and will be passed around, and eventually, like within weeks, someone will post that new password and it will be the new Pioneer47.

Church is a boring hell hole, or heaven hole (how to tell the difference?) and even without ward house wifi (for a short time) people will be online using their data plans.

So within six months, business will be as usual.

Posted by: Wowie ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:35PM

At least two posters didn't realize the link and the story are both hoaxes. Must be poor education.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:38PM

Dang! The article is well done and looks authentic! But I should have looked around more on that page... Seeing a link to "Four hour block to be announced" would have given it away.

Posted by: Wowie ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:46PM

1. the URL is "entertainment"
2. The quotes are unrealistic
3. A link at the bottom says tscc is switching to VR4
4. No links from legit sources reporting same.

IOW..... DERRRRR!

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:58PM

I didn't bother reading the article. The concept was plausible enough, and it wouldn't surprise me if the church did decide to do this in the future.

I guess I should be more careful about articles that appear any time near April 1.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 04:45PM

The only 'Overwatch' they want in a meeting house is from the podium.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 12:24AM

A friend of mine was having trouble with getting wifi coverage throughout his whole house. So I came over and helped him fix it. After getting his wifi antenna off the ground and near ceiling level, it worked well everywhere in his home. As I finished testing everything, I looked out the window to the back yard and realized that his wifi antenna had a clear line of sight, over the block wall and just a few feet further to a church building on the other side of the parking lot. It was at that time that I suggested that he reconfigure his guest network. He could have a login page called "Satan's Workshop", and have a picture of the devil with horns and a pitchfork surrounded in fire and with a short agreement that says "click here to sell your soul for some free internet access". He said he can now connect with his home wifi from his seat in the chapel. But he didn't buy-in to the devil's workshop idea. Oh well, I tried.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 12:30AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.