Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: April 05, 2018 10:38PM

Is the court of love records destroyed after so many years? I doubt it. If not, then what are the legal ramifications of this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 09:30AM

Since the church is a private organization, and you were a member, there probably aren't any legal ramifications. They can keep whatever records of their members they made as long as they want to. There isn't, as far as I know, any legal obligation of any kind to destroy them, to keep them confidential, or to make them available to anyone. They own the records, even if they're about you.

And no, they're not destroyed. Even if you officially resign.
They keep everything.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:35AM

Exactly. And apparently, if push comes to shove, they’ll pull a Church of Scientology with it.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 10:05AM

None.
You have no rights.

Resign or don't join in the first place,

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:05PM

They can do whatever they want with their records. If you ever thought that they were YOUR records then you are sadly mistaken.

When I had a little court, they had records on me that I could see on their desk. They looked very detailed. I was not allowed to see them.

Nothing you can do about it. Those records are their property.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:13PM

In mormonism? Haaahahhah

There are no rights...

Only wrongs.

M@t

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 12:21PM

The law doesn't care what churches do unless someone is physically injured or dead.

Anyone who wants rights needs to stay away from cults.

No one is required to attend mormon courts unless they want to follow mormon rules which are not part of civil law.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:28AM

A lot of the time that won't even spurn action. Just ask Scientology.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 03:29PM

He went to the bishop when we were dating and told him about being gay. Obviously, they never put anything in his record as this ward had NO CLUE he was gay. The bishop he was ex. sec. to thought he was something really great and told me that he would be the next bishop or the one following. I doubt with gay in the record, he would have said that.

I don't think anyone was more shocked than that bishop and his wife when they found out he is gay.

When my ex left, many people wanted me to get him excommunicated, but I refused. It would have been much more difficult for me had he been ex'd than for him. He didn't care. Then my BIL told me my kids could get him ex'd once they turned 18 (which they almost were). It infuriated me.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 05:58PM

I wish they had made and kept a tape of my trial!

Posted by: Can't remember it ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 06:44PM

Will be interesting to see what happens with GDPR in Europe next month. It includes some pretty stringent protocols relating to sending data of EU citizens out of the EU as well as data retention procedures etc. Could be something someone this side of the Atlantic could take a run at the church with.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 06:52PM

I am glad I just resigned. I was given a choice.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 07:42PM

Who in the ward/stake can see them besides a Bishop or SP? How many copies are there? I assume Church headquarters has copies.

Date: April 06, 2018 09:30PM

The only people who can see them are the people involved in the Court, roughly a dozen people. Only one copy is made and it will be forwarded to the COB when it is resolved. The local leaders are not allowed to keep copies. Of course, they can really do whatever they want and make as many copies as they want. Never expect any privacy from the church.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: April 06, 2018 11:23PM

Thanks for the answer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 06:28AM

Privacy is becoming a bigger concern with all the hacks into personal data, so maybe the US will change the law WRT content and retention of private information of individuals by corporations. Sadly, in the US, churches tend to get a pass on such governmental regulation.

Until that happens in the US (if ever), members have a right (actually, an expectation) to remain silent (aka bow your head and say yes) and a right to resign. That's about it.

Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 02:44PM

I made a separate thread about GDPR.

Essentially it is a beefed up version of the data protection laws that will apply through the entire European union.

It enshrines in law people's rights to access whatever data an organisation holds on them.

The other big one is the right to be forgotten. You will have the legal right to ask an organisation to destroy any information it holds on you.

There are also specific rights about assumed consent to contact, with the emphasis being firmly on the individuals right to say no.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the church.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 01:26AM

The church seemed to still have some very old records on McKenna Denson, including her out of wedlock pregnancy and allowing her child to be adopted. I think they have dossiers on anybody that has had any kind or run-in or discipline.

Date: April 08, 2018 12:39PM

The Curch office does indeed keep all of its records, the local ward or stake house shouldn’t have any.

The church never gets rid of any written record. They will microfilm, scan, preserve any and all documents. They never forget.

I remember that I had a church court and they kept a file on the proceedings. I was not allowed to see it, but I could read alot of it as it lay open on the Bishops desk.. What it actually reminded me of was a police report. It outlined my misdeeds and seemed to have a brief biographical statement about me and church callings. I was told that all info would be filed at COB and nobody local would retain info, because the church is so forgiving.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 12:44PM by Whiskeytango.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 10:04AM

Posted by: down2earth ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 04:51PM

When I was a clerk in the 1970’s a paper record of the Court of Love proceedings was kept in an unlocked file cabinet in the clerk’s office. The only access security was a key to the clerk’s office. Several members had that door key. Also reel to reel tapes of the audio proceedings of the Court of Love’s from the 1960’s was in an unlocked closet. I felt it was unethical to keep the tapes so I destroyed them. There were no tapes from the 1970’s. I don’t know what the correct protocol for record security and retention was at the time. Just what I experienced. Even back then it seemed odd such sensitive documents were so easily accessible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.