Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 08:39AM

I no longer will have to see ads from the Mormon Church on my Google Browser asking, "What happens after I die?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 09:08AM

Nobody knows. The most likely scenario is, of course, that the universe simply goes on without you.

Of course, there *could* be a heaven run by google, and where they pull ads from the terrestrial realm, so...

Oh, wait. That would be hell!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 11:46AM

Date: April 12, 2018 12:17PM

Only if the ads are from the mormon church.

Or any other church.

Or they're for non-alcoholic beer...

:)

Posted by: The Easter Bunny ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 12:53PM

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 08:07AM

My comment was more about relief from seeing Mormon ads then it was about what really happens after we die ...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 09:18AM

Just finished watching a segment of "Unsolved Mysteries" on Lifetime channel about two near death experiences. Both were similar (most in fact are regardless of what religion people profess to believe in, or lack of one.)

Going into a white light, being turned around because they weren't able to stay. Feeling assured of a powerful loving force surrounding them, and a peace surpassing understanding.

I had one NDE when I was a younger woman. The white light is a characteristic I shared in common with other NDE survivors.

For me though, there wasn't a "tunnel" of light. It started out as a picture of a beautiful pale yellow moon set between two over arching trees that were barren, against a night sky. I had to look at the moon or the silhouette of the trees and the beautiful imagery disappeared. It was the pale yellow moon that became the white light I soon after found myself engulfed in as I was transported to wherever "there" is, before being sent back again. Because thankfully it wasn't my time yet to go.

Was I in heaven? It was another place from earth life. I saw what looked like an angel wearing gym clothes in a large building that resembled a gymnasium here on earth. He was walking with others, and stopped to stare at me as he passed by because I was staring at him. Then there was the man standing at a table in another room who looked like my late grandfather. Only he was wearing dark sunglasses, so I couldn't see his eyes. He asked me what was I doing there? And I didn't have an answer. Next thing I knew I was turned around and ushered back through a door or a wall where I was transported back through the white light to my body.

The only "life review" I experienced was my vocabulary. A list of all the words I knew up to that time like a digital recording was being run through my memory; in essence letting me know I had much more to learn in this life before I crossed over again (that and my children needed me!) I'm glad it wasn't my time yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 09:20AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 10:40AM

I haven't had any experience concerning leaving your body or 'returning to the light' but read many. I have seen some aspects of the after life (settings for life review, soul group study, and choosing next life) but didn't receive a lot of specific information other than observing how realistic it looks and feels to relive past live incidents to review things or see and feel certain incidents in a future life.

Many NDEs indicate you feel surrounded by love and safe as you go to the light. You start to remember more but slowly. You feel a loving presence (spirit guide) many see them when they are met by friends/family. Many think their spirit guides are 'religious figures' as they appear in a way to make the person 'comfortable' and they have no idea they had guides.

You have a 'life review' which is a review of your life but not a 'judgment' of where you go but what you really did well and what you need to work on in future incarnations.

You return to your 'soul group' and study yours and others 'earth experiences'. Then eventually plan on your next incarnation with 'soul group' and a variety of 'guides, and other spiritual leaders'. For example, you would pick a spouse and family and have some control over occupation based on your 'selection' of person/family you go into.

My 2 cents. Only anecdotal NDEs, regression, remote viewing, and other various experiences.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 11:18AM

What was happening before you were born?

What's the difference after you die?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 11:33AM

Knowledge is power, but you need to appear on a game show to turn knowledge into money.

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 11:37AM

Something utterly impersonal.

Date: April 12, 2018 12:01PM

'...What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him'"

Paul, 1 Corinthians 2.9

I especially like the phrase, "nor the heart of man imagined." I take "gates of pearl," "streets of gold," "choruses of angels" as poetic imagery. What's in store for "those who love him" far exceeds the ability of human mind to understand, let alone express.

Date: April 12, 2018 12:11PM

One of my grade school classmates had open heart surgery by 6th or 7th grade. He recalled afterward how he'd died on the operating table, but the surgeons brought him back.

While he was clinically "dead" he had a NDE where he was walking through literal streets of gold, or they looked that way to him. It was a beautiful city, wherever he was. But he wasn't there very long before he was sent back to his body.

Date: April 12, 2018 12:42PM

I admire your mettle in articulating your spiritual beliefs, AmyJo, but I side with HieToKolob on assessing NDEs, taking them as fiction, un- or sub-conscious psychological experience, neurological phenomenon, or some combination of them. For example, the "Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" thread, elsewhere.

That puts me in an awkward place, because I am a Christian and I believe in an afterlife. Perhaps I'm too cerebral in my personal spirituality, and too closed off to personal experience. One problem is that some NDEs depart from Biblical precepts. Another, I'm sure, is my rejection of Christian Science, which is primarily supported by the personal experience of "healing," most of which is unverified by empirical science. I don't dismiss them absolutely, but I'm paradoxically in the skeptical camp here.

Your ideas, experiences, and especially your sincerity intrigue me. I'm very interested in making the trip across the Berkshires for a nice, long personal visit. Postings are hardly adequate for nuance and depth.

Date: April 12, 2018 02:17PM

It is because of NDE's that I part ways with many Christian beliefs. They are more similar regardless of the person experiencing them religious persuasion. They are more similar than they are different.

If that be the case, whether you believe as a Christian or not ... does not explain the commonality involved in out of body experiences and coming back from the (clinically) dead to tell about them.

If heaven is real, and the same God who created each of his children is real ... he would love all his children the same. Regardless of what religious system they were born into, raised as, or accepted (converted,) etc.

The problem I have with mainstream Christianity is the notion that only Christians are saved. That is heresy IMO. Because the God of the bible, including Jesus Christ, taught that love is the highest law. All else is but an "empty tinkling cymbal" if you have not charity.

Date: April 12, 2018 02:59PM

ghawd is probably the least charitable person in human literature, other than his supposed enemy, Lucifer, who, per the record, was one of the first on record to suffer from ghawd's lack of charity.

Date: April 12, 2018 03:51PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are more similar than
> they are different.

Personally, I think that particular point is usually way over-stated. But even if it isn't...

Perhaps that's because they all originate in human brains?
Just a thought :)

Posted by: Santa ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 12:51PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 12:36PM

SINGLY AS I DIG MY GRAVE—

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The ants play pinochle on your snout!
One of the worms that's not so shy,
Crawls in one ear and out one eye.
They call their friends and their friends' friends, too,
They'll make a horrid mess of you!
And then your blood turns yellow-green,
And oozes out like whipping cream.

The gravedigger’s Boner.

Date: April 12, 2018 01:08PM

:+}

Posted by: worms ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 12:48PM

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:03PM

Probably nothing but your brain shutting off forever like a computer. That's what keep crossing my mind.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:06PM

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:13PM

No one can prove us wrong, so why not?

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:24PM

Nicely put.

Date: April 12, 2018 02:06PM

You might believe in reincarnation. I believe in a final judgment and disposition each soul. Many on this board believe in the extinction of the self. We cannot all be right. And, of course, we might all be wrong. But, at most, only one of us can be right. Sincerity of belief is not sufficient, but neither does refutation of another's position prove him right.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I prefer to err on the side of life:

"After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the twelve, 'Do you want to go away as well?' Simon Peter answered him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life,...'" (John 6:66,67 ESV).

Date: April 12, 2018 03:53PM

caffiend Wrote:
> We cannot all be right. And, of course, we might
> all be wrong. But, at most, only one of us can be
> right.

But...what if any "afterlife" you go to is a result of what you imagine it to be while living -- such that I don't go to any afterlife, you go to "heaven," Buddhists get reincarnated, etc.?

That's as possible as any other conception of "afterlife."
Which means it's possible we *could* all be right!

:)

Date: April 12, 2018 04:32PM

caffiend Wrote:
> You might believe in reincarnation. I believe in a
> final judgment and disposition each soul. Many on
> this board believe in the extinction of the self.
> We cannot all be right. And, of course, we might
> all be wrong. But, at most, only one of us can be
> right. Sincerity of belief is not sufficient, but
> neither does refutation of another's position
> prove him right.
>
>

I have pointed this out before, the CIA has released documents concerning using and training 'psychics' in various agencies. The Army hired and trained remote viewers under project Stargate, others also employed them. They concluded 'remote viewing' is real. Remote viewing is one way of getting psychic information they also mentioned others ------ which are used by some remote viewers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLeoU6HNu3A

Although, the government got rid of Stargate after about 20 years some remote viewers have just become government 'contractors/consultants'.

Since I am a trained and experienced remote viewer (training is free on line and I have been practicing periodically for over 1 year), I try to keep up with the major remote viewing people and projects on utube.

Guess what, many projects are talked about on utube where you can find remote viewing projects on 'reincarnation' --- indicating it is what is happening now to at least people on this Earth; on Jesus of Nazareth indicating he was a real person (human) but did not die on the cross; on 'aliens' on the moon, mars, other places and other times even their involvement in building the Great Pyramid. Various other 'mysteries' have been remote viewed and some information exists on utube.

Even though I am a trained/but inexperienced remote viewer, I do not agree with 'everything' these more experienced remote viewers say ----- based on my rv work and other 'intuitive' work. However, I have rarely seen them miss the 'target' completely. So when they support reincarnation, the Jesus myth, aliens, etc. the basics they obtained are 'accurate' based on my 'intuitive work' and experiences.

I have heard the accuracy rate from a single remote viewer ranges between 40-80%. That is why the government and other organizations use a 'group' of remote viewers to maintain accuracy at a 'higher level', but they are not perfect so they were not recommended to be used as 'stand alone information'.

I just say to those that don't believe in the basics of what 'remote viewers' have found, should make sure they have a 'good reason' to believe otherwise since the CIA concluded this is not just 'woo woo'!

Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 07:24AM

caffiend Wrote:
> You might believe in reincarnation. I believe in a
> final judgment and disposition each soul. Many on
> this board believe in the extinction of the self.

Final judgment and disposition might be what happens just prior to rebirth.

More accurately, there is no fixed "self" to either be judged or reborn.

The self you were as an infant is just as "dead" now as if it had been a different person altogether, despite some similarities.

Date: April 13, 2018 07:35PM

xxxMMMooo Wrote:

>
> Final judgment and disposition might be what
> happens just prior to rebirth.

Then it's a dispositional (for the next rebirth) judgment, and not a final one.
>
> More accurately, there is no fixed "self" to
> either be judged or reborn.

You seem to be describing a postmodern type of soul: the soul not as a distinct, conscious and morally responsible* being, but a spiritually fluid entity, something that can be absorbed and subsequently dispensed from the Oversoul, like a drop of water which may be one with, or later separated from, the ocean. That's an Eastern concept, not a Judeo-Christian one.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:16PM

My family gets rid of my crap and fights over the good stuff.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:31PM

We descend like a horde of locusts and split up your belongings while eating cheesy potatoes and ham.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:53PM

Somebody had to say it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 03:54PM by captainklutz.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:40PM

Nothing. You're dead. DEAD.

Date: April 12, 2018 09:55PM

Can I be dead with you?

Date: April 13, 2018 09:11AM

Jesus this is awkward.

Date: April 13, 2018 10:39AM

What's awkward about being eternally dead companions?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 09:10PM

I read Amy's post above about the boy who felt he died on the operating table. My dad had bypass surgery when he was about 66 and he said that he rose above the table and saw himself on the table. He lived.

I have had an out of body experience. I won't go into details, but those around me believed me and believe me still. It had to do with something that might happen to my brother, who had already had a stroke at birth, drank paint thinner (older brother poured milk down his throat and they said that saved him, learned in scouts) and was hit by a truck while riding his bike. Of course, what I saw as happening didn't, but I do believe it would have. I was 16 and now I'm 60 and I still remember it as though it was a moment ago.

BUT I don't know what I believe happens after death. It changes. I want to believe there is an afterlife, but I'm concerned about what that life would be. Does it continue as life here? Don't want to do that. Do we still live and die? Don't want to do that again either. Does that mean we go on forever living and dying. Okay, don't want that either. Are we reincarnated? No thanks.

As long as heaven is what I want it to be, okay, I'll take that. Chances of that are what?

People tell me I'll see my dogs again. Well, if I won't, do I want to go there? No.

The questions are endless. I didn't choose to be born. I didn't choose to go through this life and I consider it hell for the most part. So why would I want to do it again?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 09:50PM

I want to be with my best friend again. I have missed her terribly. And my many cats. And, oh, yeah, there are some friends and family members I'd like to run into again.

But my BFF, for sure.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 09:54PM

If you look at the memory in your brain somewhat like a hard drive (physical cells that record life experiences through biological processes instead of to a spinning platten), how would your spirit have access to the hard drive after leaving the computer (your body), even temporarily? In theory, you shouldn't have any memories of anything that happens when you (your spirit) is away from your body because in this metaphor, the PC (your body) is turned off and doesn't record anything that your spirit sees and does while it is away from the body. Although I don't believe in the church, I still believe in a pre-earth life. I always assumed that I had no memories of the pre-earth life because my physical brain was not around to record anything yet at that time, and however the spirit remembers things, the body can't access those memories. If it could, everyone would have memories of a pre-existance (assuming one existed once). So why would anyone remember near death experiences where you were away from your body, any more than you can remember a pre-earth life, which most of us have zero memory of? Can your spirit upload new memories to your physical brain of things that occurred while you were away from your body? If your spirit can upload those memories, why not upload all memories of the entire history of your soul, instead of just a few minutes worth that occurred during an NDE.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 10:04PM by azsteve.

Date: April 12, 2018 11:36PM

AZ Steve said, 'In theory, you shouldn't have any memories of anything that happens when you (your spirit) is away from your body because in this metaphor, the PC (your body) is turned off and doesn't record anything that your spirit sees and does while it is away from the body. Although I don't believe in the church, I still believe in a pre-earth life. I always assumed that I had no memories of the pre-earth life because my physical brain was not around to record anything yet at that time, and however the spirit remembers things, the body can't access those memories. If it could, everyone would have memories of a pre-existance (assuming one existed once).'

Actually, I have talked this subject with 2 hypnotists. Anyone that can be 'hypnotized' can discuss 'past lives' and the 'in-between life' if regressed properly ----- some hypnotists are specifically trained in these procedures. life.

I consulted with an LDS Hypnotherapist who was specifically trained in 'past life' regressions. They find some psychological injuries that existed in 'past lives' can be eliminated by regressing people to the past life where the injury occurred and resolving it there.

I have had 'past life/in-between life experiences' in dreams and also in guided meditations (which are considered self hypnosis). I have also experienced at least 1 Obe where of course I remembered everything.

Whether these are 'actual' past lives is subject to debate --- I and many believe they are. The LDS hypnotist would not tell me what he believed but stated his Mormon clients that got 'past life hypnosis' believed they were seeing their ancestors as they remembered them from the 'pre-existence'.

Many in the hypnotist, psychic, medium, 'supernatural communities' believe in 'past lives' followed and proceeded by the 'in-between lives'. They all believe the 'spirit' brain is really what we are using and definitely remembers what we learned in or out of body.

Good luck in your quest for 'truth'! There are books in most libraries on all these subjects.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 05:07AM

You become a stiff some mortician will make money off of.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 05:12AM

You won't have to bother anyone - namely yourself - asking this (or any other) question, anymore.

What happens before then is a good question.

M@t

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 07:17AM

I dunno, maybe it's just like the space between two thoughts, which we have all the time.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 08:33AM

We go to Heaven to be with our risen Savior Jesus Christ! And He is about to come tbrough the clouds any day now! Everyone prepare to meet Jesus in the clouds very soon. Accept Him as your Lord and Savior and repent of your sins. Forever in Heaven with Him! The tribulation is imminent! You do NOT want to be left behind to suffer God's wrath.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 is imminent!!!

God bless everyone. See you in Heaven very soon!

Date: April 13, 2018 09:12AM

Yeah, jesus-believers have been going on about that "any day now!" thing for around 2,000 years.

Time to let it go, don't you think?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 01:53PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Yeah, jesus-believers have been going on about
> that "any day now!" thing for around 2,000 years.
>
> Time to let it go, don't you think?

They don't think.

End of story.

Date: April 13, 2018 09:15AM

Everyone assumes people want be around this jesus guy in the clouds but i don't. Sounds like something a 4 year old would come up with.

Date: April 13, 2018 10:42AM

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

This is one of my favorite Simpsons episodes!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 05:21PM

Hopefully somebody will have the decency to bury your body

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 06:31PM

Fertilizer happens.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:50PM

Dear wife wants me to come to her upon her passing if I go first and I wish the same if she goes before me. We both dearly miss our parents who left before us. So I'm hoping there is something of our sentient consciousness after death. The only thing I know for sure is that we both want our bodies cremated and our ashes sprinkled in the ocean off a particular beach we dearly love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 11:54PM by Keith Vaught.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:27AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.