Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 02:30PM

I have a very complicated situation with a bone spur on my hyoid bone that no doc has ever seen before or removed. It is a separate issue than my esophagus. Removal of part of the hyoid bone is common but not for a bone spur. I need someone that is a badass that has seen a lot of shit and thinks removal of the hyoid bone and the bone spur will actually work. This issue has been bugging me forever and i have no doubt it was caused by strangling because no doc in this town has ever seen it before, it is so unusual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 02:55PM

This is way sideways thinking ;) , but if I were in the position you are in now, I think I would try calling the homicide division of your local police department.

If the bone spur was caused in some way by strangling, then some version of it has probably been seen in previous forensic analyses/autopsies...and these analyses would have probably, along the way, required consultation with doctors who have treated [some version of] this in living people.

Being "referred" to that particular MD would probably be of benefit to you.

This may not work, but if this were me, I would think it was worth a try...

...and, even if it doesn't work, it is a great adventure!

:)

Date: April 12, 2018 04:39PM

I might actually do this. The doc said that it could have been broken first and then the bone healed back creating a bone spur. This probably has been seen from attempted homicide victims of strangling. It actually felt weird to say to the doctor that i had been strangled in the past because i had been in denial about it for so long, like it had happened to another person. Like my personality split that day.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:57PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It actually felt weird to say to the
> doctor that i had been strangled in the past
> because i had been in denial about it for so long,
> like it had happened to another person. Like my
> personality split that day.

I don't know if this is what happened to you, but I know that this CAN happen.

On a purely physical level, it would be good to be seen by a doctor who has dealt with similar physiological/anatomical outcomes in other patients.

"Police department" can mean [city] police, or [county] sheriff's office. (In Los Angeles, these are quite different entities.) Both should have homicide divisions, and both can (hopefully) give you leads to finding the information you need and want.

(As a last resort, you could try whatever is your local equivalent of the County Coroner's Office. Although, obviously, coroner's offices deal exclusively with dead subjects, there is always a thriving "old boys" network which includes a great amount of current and practical information among its informal "members.") [P.S. The "old boys" network now includes "girls," too. ;) ]

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:24PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 07:12PM

Dr. Marshall E. Smith has gotten some mentions online from people with hyoid issues. I always recommend (when in doubt) consulting with a physician with a medical school affiliation because they are up on the latest research. This physician is a professor at the U of U Medical School.

https://healthcare.utah.edu/fad/mddetail.php?physicianID=u0030448

Good luck, Badass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 07:13PM by summer.

Date: April 12, 2018 07:23PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dr. Marshall E. Smith has gotten some mentions
> online from people with hyoid issues. I always
> recommend (when in doubt) consulting with a
> physician with a medical school affiliation
> because they are up on the latest research. This
> physician is a professor at the U of U Medical
> School.
>
> https://healthcare.utah.edu/fad/mddetail.php?physi
> cianID=u0030448
>
> Good luck, Badass.

I'll call him tomorrow, i saw one of their locations was a LDS hospital. I didn't even know there was a hospital named LDS hospital haha.

Date: April 13, 2018 12:14PM

I gave them a call and i explained my situation and they weren't sure if they could do it because the doc wasn't in but they said they would call me back.

Posted by: Happyandfree ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:42PM

I don't know anything about the condition you're describing, but I can recommend an ENT in Salt Lake. I've had very good experiences with ENT Center of Utah. They have several doctors, all great as far as I can tell. Also, 5 locations. http://www.entcenterutah.com/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.