Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 08:26AM

http://kfyo.com/breaking-former-coast-to-coast-am-host-art-bell-dead-at-age-72/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 08:27AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 08:30AM

My mom used to listen to that crackpot before she died.

I hope they find each other on whatever spaceship captured them.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 04:18PM

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 09:01AM

Great radio voice.
Thought of his show as entertainment. Insomniac's needed something to listen too.
RIP

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:07PM

mankosuki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought of his show as entertainment.

Yeah, exactly. Not every episode interested me, but every now and then a subject was interesting. I spent half the time going, "Oh, brother." But if you got a really interesting show, it was definitely entertaining.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 09:20AM

No conspiracy I'm sure but he died on Friday the thirteenth.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 09:22AM

Some of the crap that they came up with on that radio program was as bad as MORmON teachings and doctUrine ....but at least they never said that a person had to believe them AND pay them or a person would go to Hell and NEVER see their family members again.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 09:22AM

god takes out the trash

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 10:41AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 10:45AM

I liked him--great voice that always had a touch of "Halloween" to it, like he *might* be playing it spooky and conspiratorial just for effect. When I would be up at 2 a.m. working in the darkroom it was great entertainment.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:08AM

Used to listen to him at night working graveyard shift. Great voice. Loved his interviewing style when he had a guest. He never talked over people.

He always said that he was the ugliest man on earth.

RIP, Art Bell.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:36PM

Same here, in the 1990s from midnight to 8:00 AM in the Quality Control Lab at a breast-implant factory (honest!) A co-worker introduced me to his show and I was hooked. Now there was some high camp.
And he and I were the same age.
RIP.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:41PM

I bet you remember that job fondlely!

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:50PM

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:42AM

It was fun listening to him in college when I was up late studying for finals.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:53AM

Date: April 14, 2018 01:58PM

He was a favorite late-night talk show host whose “Coast to Coast“ program was regularly piped into the Phoenix area from his broadcasting trailer home in the Nevada desert.

He promoted the idea that the so-called “Face on Mars” was actually built by an ancient race of humans who lived on the Red Planet. In one of my cartoons, I drew him as the “Face on Mars” in the form of the mug of Bozo the Clown. His irate followers inundated me with complaints. Bell didn’t much like the cartoon either but played it and his fans like a fiddle. Never mind that this so-called “Face” was simply a minor mesa that, when struck at a particular angle by light, took on the shape of a human face. That reality was proven by a U.S. spacecraft, Viking 1, sent to Mars for a low-level flyby to take photos of the planet, but never mind such inconvenient details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.space.com/17191-face-on-mars.html

Bell was also an outspoken right-wing anti-government conspiracy theorist. After the Oklahoma City bombing, he was stoking the flames of far-right radicalism with his goofy hooey broadcast on local Phoenix radio station KFYI, which I would listen to for its pure entertainment value. I drew him pushing the plunger on a wired-up bomb with lightning bolts as radio waves coming out of it and pointing toward the federal building in Oklahoma City. He went ballistic over it. We actually talked about it in an off-air phone conversation where he threatened to sue me for $100 million and claimed he would be able to prevail using a lawyer on contingency. He never followed through. He didn’t seem to understand that cartoons employ exaggeration, parody, metaphor and satire to make their points and are not to be taken literally, otherwise they wouldn’t be cartoons. If he did understand that, he still ran with it on his moonbeam show and his devoted listenership lapped it up. (I would like to think that perhaps my criticism of him on this matter may have had some influence on his programming). Here’s how one observer
described that encounter:

“Who is Art Bell?

“Art Bell is a late-night radio talk show host who appears on more than 200 stations nation-wide. He is probably the foremost proponent of the New-World-Order/space-alien conspiracy--You see, the guvmint wants to take our guns so that we are defenseless against the real rulers of the world, aliens from outer space.

“In the past, Art devoted most of his shows' (there are two, ‘Dreamland’ on Sundays and ‘Coast to Coast’ on weekdays) resources to far-right/militia topics. That changed after the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. Shortly after the bombing, Steve Benson of the ‘Arizona Republic’ published a cartoon that laid the blame for militia violence at Art's feet. Art freaked out, and denied it, but his shows are now less militia oriented and more devoted to the paranormal than they were before. Where before, his conspiracies centered on the tri-lateral committee's conspiracies to enslave us, today his conspiracies have the guvmint working hand in hand with aliens in a plan to enslave us. Either way, we're screwed.”

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~shunter/bell.txt

https://books.google.com/books?id=yuikrvWlamQC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=Art+bell+Steve+Benson+cartoon+Oklahoma+City&source=bl&ots=470kLQFaRO&sig=9rn9yCBG_n0AnQG3bulf4Bt9UBI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGruHvwLvaAhVSmVkKHalxC_AQ6AEwDHoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=Art%20bell%20Steve%20Benson%20cartoon%20Oklahoma%20City&f=false

Bell was quite the circus ringmaster and had a committed following, which included some out-of-this-world groupies who probably should’ve been committed.

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 01:14AM by steve benson.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 08:26PM

I thought he was just in it for the money.

Thanks, Steve

Date: April 14, 2018 11:38PM

He was a student of human nature, knew his audience
well, played to their superstitions and gullibilities and, in the process of building his carnival-barking career, made a lot of money.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 02:03PM

>Art Bell Dead At 72. He'll find out if the truth is really out >there

Hopefully he rigged up a foolproof way to come back and tell us.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 04:14PM

Or-not-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 04:29PM

He joins the "shadow people."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 06:36PM

I still occasionally enjoy some of the reruns. No one else does it quite as well as Bell. It was his Art. He did his part.

M@t

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 10:58PM

Too bad he never came clean about his wife's death.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:52PM

Actually, I thought he went into rather lurid detail about his wife's death--as an asthmatic I knew exactly what he was describing...

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:17AM

I liked listening to Bruce Williams when I was driving home late at night. I miss him.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 10:24AM

Well, sadly -- he probably won't.
By far the most likely thing to have occurred is that Art Bell has ceased to exist. And won't ever find out anything ever again.

Long night drives through the CA deserts and Nevada, trying to find an AM station carrying his show, just won't be the same any more :)

Date: April 16, 2018 11:08PM

Driving the night roads threading across Western deserts or winding my way through sleepy small towns wrapped in a cool moon glow, all by myself. Well, not entirely alone. Art Bell and his fuzzy-headed followers were decidedly out to lunch but their disembodied voices in the darkness telling their tales brought a certain sense of intimacy mixed with entertainment. It was like quietly listening in to conversations among kooky relatives at family reunions.

Yeah, Bell and his chorus line of galactic groupies who claimed to have been abducted by aliens were bizarre and unbelievable but, as far as I’m concerned, he will be missed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 11:38PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:27AM

Haha! Art is on the mothership and once his temple work is done it's heading for Kolob.

Date: April 17, 2018 02:23PM

Guess who comes to them?:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFJvZv0D7c#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 02:26PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.