Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:30PM

Wow, this woman doesn't hold back. And she's 100% accurate. Here's hoping she doesn't get exed, just decides to leave.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2018/04/14/commentary-an-open-letter-to-the-lds-patriarchy/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:49PM

the SLT better engage -activate their shields!

I hope they verified authenticity before publishing this, it's DEVISTATING.

Date: April 15, 2018 12:19AM

I'm sure they did. It's more of an Op-Ed piece where they also included her picture and background. I wonder how her bishop will act tomorrow?

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 12:02AM

Well, she sure called a spade a spade! The only part i didn't agree with was when she said abusers tell white lies. There's nothing white about those lies!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:04AM

It seems that the comments by TBMs are focusing on her youth; they are positing that young people trying to tell their elders how things are is simply ridiculous and that no attention need be paid such attempts. They're attacking her position in the world as if that makes what she has to say of no import.

And that they believe it is absolutely proper to think that way; the church is perfect...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:04AM

She'll get exed. She just wrote her ticket out.

Date: April 15, 2018 02:25AM

I'm not so sure, I didn't see that she mentioned any names, it's more general in that regard.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 03:57AM

Doesn't matter that no names were mentioned.

According to LDS Inc., the greatest sin one can commit is to say or do things that put their Church division in a bad light.

If they follow previous practice, they will give this woman a chance to publically recant and promise to cease all future criticisms.

If she refuses, they will add the most serious charge of disobediance and ex her.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:07AM

I think they will be very slow to do that.

She has a public, national following and excommunicating her when the country is so focused on sexual assault in its various forms would be huge mistake. My guess is that the church will wait for her to leave on her own or institute a court o' love many months from now.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:08AM

Well, not a national following. But it would be a bad time to excommunicate her both for the general publicity and because there have to be a lot of people in the church who are concerned about the issues she raises now.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:25AM

Kind of Like Trump firing Mueller right now. Not saying it won't happen, but it's not the smartest timing.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 10:59AM

The bottom of the article had her picture and this:

"Lesley Butterfield, Bent Mountain, Va., is a registered nurse educator, survivor advocate and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Here's hoping she utilizes her own power and resigns and pays no attention to any type of discipline and/or CoL

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 09:12AM

She's a nurse. Nurses are made of tough stuff. Good for her for putting those thoughts out there. It would be great if more Mormon women would do the same.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:30AM

She is tough, and she is right. As far as other mormon women stepping up, I'm not sure their husbands would "allow" them to do that.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 10:31AM

In short, a bunch of men who claim to represent God and Jesus act exactly like corporate executives, protecting the business above all else.

Date: April 15, 2018 10:46AM

Bishop, there's a phone call from a Russell Nelson for you...

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:46PM

From the letter:

"In your system of male dominance, male privilege, male leadership, male decision-making, male control, and male authority, what’s a woman to do....besides what you tell us to? "

You don't know what to do? Have women take some responsibility for their actions and quit acting helpless. Stop being a victim, stop blaming it all on the men, and do something.

How about walking away and not coming back.

You might also go after the women who support the patriarchy. In the photo, Nelson has his wife on his arm. How can she support such an evil man?

Write a letter to the wives of the leaders and tell them to leave their husbands.

Then write a letter condemning the women who brainwash little kids in primary to "follow the prophet."

Start a campaign for women to deny sex to their husbands if they become priesthood leaders.

There is plenty that can be done.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 05:02PM

You misunderstood the sentence you quoted. She wasn't saying women don't know what to do. She was saying this is how women are perceived by the patriarchal leaders.

And yeah, writing to GA wives telling them to leave their husbands, that'll be effective.

She is doing something, as we have all noticed.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 04:01AM

Oh, come on guys.

No real lds is going to pay attention to this. All they need to do is take 1 look at the picture, realize she is not wearing temple garments and throw her words out of their minds.

Because thats how it works.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:45PM

"That is the miracle of it."

There are things that MORmONS want others to see.
There are things that MORmONS want to see, so they see them.

There are things that MORmONS do NOT want others to see.
There are things that MORmONS do NOT want to see, so they do not see them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eqps2O7s8

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 04:22AM

somehow the term /phrase of "out bound trajectory" comes to mind on that one

if LD$ Inc does try to ex com her then she should just do an "Alexander Morrison" -claim that her statement was made as some one who abhors abuse, not as a member of THE (MORmON) church. That said because that is exactly what Alexander Morrison did at one time. any way, I think that MORmON founder Joe Smith was a fraud and pervert, I am saying that as some one who abhors fraud and abuse, NOT as a member of THE (MORmON) church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:01PM

a member of the lds church. That speaks for the reasons behind why I left.

Men are also victims of their abuse. My gay ex certainly is. Some posters on here certainly are.

She did a great job. I think she knew by writing it that she was writing her ticket out and it sure sounds like she doesn't have any trust in any of them, so I doubt she plans on staying.

And from reading "In Sacred Loneliness," those leaders' wives love their status. It's obvious Wendy does. How often does she give talks? She of all people addressing the gay issues in the church. There isn't a one of them who wants to give up their status and lifestyle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 02:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 04:22PM

I think members living outside of the moridor have become more outspoken and critical of the church. It's something that is becoming more common. I am glad that more people are speaking up.

Posted by: Stes209 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 09:39PM

Leslie is much older than in her 20's , although she is very youthful looking. She has been in Virginia for several years hailing from Utah from a multigenerational family. Recently divorced, she is the mother of several children and has become very outspoken in recent years about issues important to her. I am waiting to see how local leaders will be responding. I will return and report should I hear of anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.