Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laura ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:23AM

I'm an Exmo officially resigned 1999 and living my happy life. Used to post here years ago. Thought I'd share: Cleaning out my mom's basement yesterday and found the old stash of LDS food storage supposed to save her from Armageddon. My non-LDS dad thought it was BS he spend his hard earned cash on this crap, but she won. I threw all of it out. Another Mormon scam. Mom and I made peace years ago about her religion. She leaves me alone. Lost my dad in 2016. Bet he was smiling while I threw it all out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 11:28AM by laura.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joe666 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:31AM

Never could figure out why they did it as they did.
We had food storage. Stored what we actually ate, rotated it regularly so it would not get way out of date and ate well for a long time. Still do so even though no longer LDS.

Buying an extra bit when sales are on enables one to have extra on hand and since it is food you are used to you don't get a big shock when you have to eat it when a flood, earthquake or other big thing happens and you can't get to stores.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:42AM

The food room was about three times the size of a bathroom with fancy revolving shelves like giant lazy susans.

My older TBM brother confiscated all of the food when she died. He'd feed it to his goats and if they didn't get sick, he feed it to his children. I thought it was a bad plan since goats are known to eat anything, including tin and paper.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 12:04PM

goats do not eat tin.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 12:06PM

Prove it.

:-D

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:00PM

jane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prove it.
>
> :-D

https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/goats-eat-tin-cans/

Date: April 15, 2018 12:35PM

And I don't think their digestion is a good nutritional test for young children.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 05:54PM

ribbons right out of your hair! Yes, I had a traumatic incident as a child :)

Date: April 16, 2018 12:16PM

I don't like goats. Their milk taste terrible and they're overly aggressive in my opinion. As a child my father kept goats tethered to chunks of railroad ties so they could feed on weeds and not run away. My mother sent me out to move the ties and allow each goat a new feeding area. I lifted a weight with great difficulty and the goat tore away with me holding the chunk of steel. I had to drop it and a wire around it tore open my thumb. It bled like crazy and became infected. What a mess. I still have a scar. I've never liked goats.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:57AM

When my dad was ward EQP they started importing dehydrated potatoes and vegetables from Rogers Bros. in Idaho when the whole 2 year supply deal was festering. After the EQ lost interest in it dad kept it up for 4 or 5 more years. I still have an unopened can of powdered mashed potatoes. I made many trips down to Pocatello to haul loads back.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:05PM

This is where I recycle my story of my dad buying a couple of Magic Mills and big blue cans of wheat--after a few years the blue paint started to flake off, revealing the original olive drab paint underneath and yellow 1950's 'Civil Defense' markings.

How old was that government surplus wheat when *he* bought it!?

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:00PM

In the 70's I had some of those Civil Defense crackers. They stank of some kind of preservative. My kids wouldn't eat them, so I tried feeding them to my goats. The goats wouldn't eat them either.

Date: April 15, 2018 06:00PM

Being farmers and all we grew our own wheat. Never had any stored in the basement though...and never milled out own. Mom never quite embraced that part of the deal I guess.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:11PM

Mine is about 30 years old. You know, you’ll eat anything if you get hungry enough including the Boner :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 01:26PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:32PM

When I moved half way across the U.S., I knew the 300 or so #10 cans of food storage weren't going with me.

A food bank took some of it, but I needed to get rid of the wheat.

Having no connections with local Mormons, I considered the trash.

My daughter called saying her work friend wanted the wheat. Really? She's not Mormon? Why?

The lady who drove 90 minutes to get it was a self described "prepper". She said, "You know, when the zombie apocalypse happens, you'll be wishing you had this wheat."

Food storage still makes sense, but it feels like living in fear. I wouldn't last a month on what I keep around now, but I live with a lot more peace--go figure.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:40PM

One of my jobs working for a school district put my office in an unused board room. There were lots of cabinets so I went through them and found some 1960's Civil Defense emergency supply boxes that had never been opened. I found lots of cotton gauze, old mercury thermometers, aspirin, diarrhea meds, etc. All the medicines were either evaporated or hardened to cement. I kept the thermometers as they still worked and the janitor who cleared everything out kept the bottles after we emptied them because they were old fashioned brown bottles that looked antique and possibly of some value.

My mom seems to believe that anything in the freezer or in a can lasts forever. I had to clean out exploded tin cans of fruit from her pantry when I noticed black goo dripping down the walls. She had kept them from her mother's kitchen after her mother died in the '70's!!!! She even admits to poisoning herself several times after leaving food in the refrigerator way too long. She's still the overall healthiest one in our family and seems to bounce back from every major health scare she has even now she's in her 90's. Gotta love her!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 03:28PM

We had the obligatory 100 pojns sack of wheat.

I asked Dad about it one day.

"Are we ever going to eat that wheat?"

"Nope."

"Why do we have it?"

"Your mother bought it."

"What if we need food?"

"I'll lay it out in troughs in the back 40 and when deer fome to eat it we'll shoot them."

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:33PM

Ha ha! When my hubby's mom says, "What are you going to do when there isn't any food to buy?" He tells her, "That's why I have guns and ammo."

Date: April 15, 2018 06:01PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 06:05PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: April 15, 2018 06:01PM

Supper is flying over here all the time....if ya like goose (I don't).

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:59PM

Is the church still yammering about food storage now that they’re turning wheat fields into apartments?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 05:10PM

They have downgraded the yammering to a 3 month supply, which is still about 85 days more than makes any sense. You really don't hear much about that, though. They don't want members asking "but it used to be two years. What changed?"

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/food-storage

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 05:26PM

From my readings, two years is how long Joseph Smith figured it would take for him to hold out against the United States Army. Hence, the two-year supply of food (citation needed).

So many of us never knew that little fact while we had basements full of the buggy crap.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 05:44PM

A trigger for me. Thousands went to the church while my brothers and I slept in the garage.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 10:52PM

> "goats are known to eat anything,... (including tin and paper)." >

So are kids.

M@t

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:21PM

My old food storage was full of bugs. I got a biology lesson from it, about insects laying their eggs in grain somehow. I tried bay leaves, but it wasn't enough. Now I keep a couple of weeks of real food on hand, but I avoid the bug zoo.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:58PM

Move those cans of wheat was such a pain when my folks moved from Santa Clarita to Huntington Beach in 1977!

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:10PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

We had huge bags of the stuff in our basement when I was growing up--a large portion of my parents' food storage program. It was pretty bad.

One of the reasons we had so much was because my parents had dreams of selling it to other members at a profit. I don't think that ever happened.

I believe the bulk of it rotted in the basement and got thrown away when my parents sold that house and moved.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:23PM

Oh, man...TVP.
I remember it being touted as "miraculous" by our nutty "health-food" (but not really) crazy bishop, and being served TVP "burgers" at their house. They were god-awful.

This family was nutso for both food fads, being anti-sugar, and food storage. Their son close to my age was so deprived of real food that whenever we went on a scout camping trip, he'd steal food from everybody else's backpacks during the night, pig out on it, then be so sick the next day we'd have to carry his pack (and sometimes him).

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:26PM

It was awful. My mom tried putting it in chili, bbq sauce, everything she could think of to cover up the flavor but it was still nasty. Luckily she only bought one package so she didn't feel too bad about throwing it out after all attempts at making it edible failed.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:52PM

That's what stores are for.

DIY

M@t

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 08:04PM

In the 1970s we were definitely in the last days. Now- not so much. The year 2000 kind of ruined everybody's plans.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.