Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:33PM

Trying to figure this out is a riddle. I just had my throat stretched out last week in the hopes that it would fix the sternum pain or chest pain but the pain has not subsided. My vitamin D levels are badass right now at 59 also. I had an x-ray done a year ago of the chest and nothing showed up. Can the lungs cause pain in the sternum? I did smoke for about six years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:36PM

I have forgotten, BAA...if you smoked earlier in your life, have you been checked (in your torso) for cancer?

You probably have, but I thought this needed verification.

Date: April 15, 2018 03:08PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have forgotten, BAA...if you smoked earlier in
> your life, have you been checked (in your torso)
> for cancer?
>
> You probably have, but I thought this needed
> verification.

Never been checked for cancer i don't think. But i do feel like this is a trachea or lung thing. It's the only thing left that i can think of. I am at urgentcare right now to see what they think.

Posted by: Bradfree ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:40PM

Perhaps an enlarged liver?

Posted by: Boyd the K. ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:50PM

Excess masturbation.

Knock it off!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 02:58PM

Badass, it could be so many different things (including injury, inflammation, and even stress) that you really are going to have to enlist a physician to sort it out. I feel for you because I have pain in my chest area as well, and with the help of my PCP, I'm going to get started on the process of figuring it out.

Date: April 15, 2018 03:12PM

summer Wrote:
> Badass, it could be so many different things
> (including injury, inflammation, and even stress)
> that you really are going to have to enlist a
> physician to sort it out. I feel for you because I
> have pain in my chest area as well, and with the
> help of my PCP, I'm going to get started on the
> process of figuring it out.

My best guess is it's a lung problem which scares the hell out of me. It's the only thing left in the chest that i really haven't checked out.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 03:06PM

I have seen the future and you have three new holes in your abdomen, which they used to excise your gallbladder! In that vision I saw you joyfully riding a unicycle, wearing a pure white baker's hat and eating pop-tarts!

Date: April 15, 2018 03:43PM

They just called in an antacid for me. I did not know acid from the stomach could cause this kind of pain. As long as i don't have lung cancer i am happy. Badass out.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:14PM

I've had a cough since December and antibiotics didn't cure it. I've also been watching Breaking Bad, so all sorts of bad stuff was going through my mind about what kind of cancer it could be. I swear, I sounded just like Walter White. It's scary when you don't know!

Finally made it to the ENT last week and he didn't see anything wrong, which was a huge relief. So he rx'ed meds to take care of the most common reasons for coughing fits. Got a couple nose sprays with steroids and antihistamines and a tablet for acid reflux/heartburn.

Date: April 15, 2018 04:31PM

Well hopefully this antacid med works, they said it could take a couple weeks. It feels like i am having a heart attack sometimes, the pain can get ridiculous.

Date: April 15, 2018 04:38PM

Gallbladder!

ETA: See, the problem arises when the gallbladder makes stones. It's not the stones IN the gallbladder that are the problem. Occasionally a stone will move into a bile duct and that's when the pain starts.

There are temporary solutions, but removing the gallbladder takes care of bile duct pluggings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 04:41PM by elderolddog.

Date: April 15, 2018 06:59PM

Are you being serious about the gallbladder. My father had gall stones and had to have his removed. Maybe it runs in the genes. Can it cause pain in the chest?

Date: April 15, 2018 07:05PM

Is it below the belly button?

Date: April 15, 2018 07:14PM

What type of doctor deals with gallbladders? GIs?

Date: April 15, 2018 07:17PM

You might actually be right old dog and i am not even joking. My father had gallstones and it nearly killed him and there is pain in my abdomen.

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 09:41PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> What type of doctor deals with gallbladders? GIs?

Gastroenterologists treat gall bladder issues, but primary care physicians can also order the tests to diagnose gall bladder disease or disorder. Sometimes a patient goes directly from a primary care physician to surgeon without seeing anyone between the two. Keep in mind that your condition may very well have thing to do with your gall bladder. It's just one more possibility for you and for your doctor to consider.

Is the location of your pain the same as was the centralized area for soreness after the dilation procedure?

Date: April 15, 2018 09:47PM

scmdnotloggedin Wrote:
> Badassadam1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What type of doctor deals with gallbladders?
> GIs?
>
>
> Gastroenterologists treat gall bladder issues, but
> primary care physicians can also order the tests
> to diagnose gall bladder disease or disorder.
> Sometimes a patient goes directly from a primary
> care physician to surgeon without seeing anyone
> between the two. Keep in mind that your condition
> may very well have thing to do with your gall
> bladder. It's just one more possibility for you
> and for your doctor to consider.
>
>
> Is the location of your pain the same as was the
> centralized area for soreness after the dilation
> procedure?

I think this pain source is not the esophagus. I think its source is to the right and below the ribs. Gallbadder problems run in my family so i guess it's my turn to deal with this issue. I think the esophagus pain has resolved for the most part.

Date: April 16, 2018 01:35AM

Did your wife have chest pain after her dilation for a while? I am trying to rule that out as a cause they said it's not the gallbladder or the appendix.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:20PM

I've heard, from listening to myself, that the pain is above the belly button, close to the sternum.

And you won't care what kind of a doctor takes it out, just that she does a good job.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:24PM

There is pain above my belly button for sure and i think it is the source. What should i do? See my primary care physician tomorrow? Can he take it out? Is a gallbladder even necessary to have or is it like taking out tonsils? The pain kills for sure, thought it was my stomach or something.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:26PM

Badass, this is something I would take to your primary care physician. IMO, you need someone who is very familiar with your entire health history, and with whom you have a continuing relationship.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:32PM

My PCP looked me over and told me to get an anti-acid at the drugstore. Later, when the anti-acid didn't do shit, I did my usual 'I can tough this out...'

But then I drove myself to an ER and a nurse questioned me and then offered the opinion that I had a plugged bile duct and that they'd be taking out my gallbladder. The doc tried some kind of remedial 'down-the-gullet-with-a-camera-and-a-Fuller-Brush' but it didn't work, and so the next day they yanked the gallbladder, which I then sold on YouTube, as Mexican Grizzly Bear gallbladder. The guy I sold it to keeps emailing me, asking me if I have any more.

No problems whatsoever following the procedure.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:42PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> My PCP looked me over and told me to get an
> anti-acid at the drugstore. Later, when the
> anti-acid didn't do shit, I did my usual 'I can
> tough this out...'
>
> But then I drove myself to an ER and a nurse
> questioned me and then offered the opinion that I
> had a plugged bile duct and that they'd be taking
> out my gallbladder. The doc tried some kind of
> remedial
> 'down-the-gullet-with-a-camera-and-a-Fuller-Brush'
> but it didn't work, and so the next day they
> yanked the gallbladder, which I then sold on
> YouTube, as Mexican Grizzly Bear gallbladder. The
> guy I sold it to keeps emailing me, asking me if I
> have any more.
>
> No problems whatsoever following the procedure.

Should i go to the ER? Will they take it out on the spot? If so i may go there. It feels like someone punched me in the gut or something multiplied by 10 or something. I am at urgent care again because it's a sunday and i have taken ant-acids and they haven't done anything like you did.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:49PM

Actually, mon frere, I haven't the slightest idea how they 'know' that it's the gallbladder, other than that they did the camera thing and saw a blocked duct. But that was after they admitted me into the hospital from the ER.

But yeah, they can't do diddly in urgent care if you have a blocked bile duct. Again, the block is caused by a stone from the gallbladder.

So if you're in the discomfort I was in, head for the ER.

Date: April 15, 2018 07:59PM

I am at the ER screw it. It feels serious.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:07PM

Glad to hear it. At least you'll know for sure.

Date: April 15, 2018 08:13PM

jane Wrote:
> Glad to hear it. At least you'll know for sure.

I hope so. Is the gallbladder even needed?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:14PM

As an undergrad I used to get pains in my sternum. When I checked it out the doctor told me it was from sitting for long hours doing my studies at a desk in the same position putting pressure on the sternum.

I changed chairs and how I sat in place, and it got better.

You sit over your computer much? That might be what's causing it - and being sedentary.

Date: April 15, 2018 08:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> As an undergrad I used to get pains in my sternum.
> When I checked it out the doctor told me it was
> from sitting for long hours doing my studies at a
> desk in the same position putting pressure on the
> sternum.
>
> I changed chairs and how I sat in place, and it
> got better.
>
> You sit over your computer much? That might be
> what's causing it - and being sedentary.

Don't have a computer. The nurse thinks it might be a hot gallbladder.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:10PM

Never buy a gallbladder from an unknown source! Did you check the serial number first?!

Date: April 15, 2018 09:24PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Never buy a gallbladder from an unknown source!
> Did you check the serial number first?!

Never bought mine i was just born with it. But it is definitely a hot one i think. I would be very surprised if there was nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:20PM

There are many ways to check gallbladder one is ultrasound, 1 is HIDA scan, I think another is CT scan, xrays. I am not a doctor but was vomiting a lot for many years and had my gallbladder checked they found nothing on ultrasound but I read up on it and asked for a HIDA scan and it showed low functioning gall bladder at 19% I think, so I asked to have it removed and haven't had a problem since with vomiting. 1 doc was iffy on if it would solve my problem but it did. I think if they don't see anything in the ultrasound they stop there, or maybe it was me, I would on/off complain about it, and didn't follow through consistently then one day asked for the HIDA scan. You will be lucky if it is your gallbladder, usually it is removed laparoscopically and you are up and ready to roll in 1 or 2 days...although they will tell you more time.

Date: April 15, 2018 08:45PM

Nottelling Wrote:
> There are many ways to check gallbladder one is
> ultrasound, 1 is HIDA scan, I think another is CT
> scan, xrays. I am not a doctor but was vomiting a
> lot for many years and had my gallbladder checked
> they found nothing on ultrasound but I read up on
> it and asked for a HIDA scan and it showed low
> functioning gall bladder at 19% I think, so I
> asked to have it removed and haven't had a problem
> since with vomiting. 1 doc was iffy on if it would
> solve my problem but it did. I think if they don't
> see anything in the ultrasound they stop there, or
> maybe it was me, I would on/off complain about it,
> and didn't follow through consistently then one
> day asked for the HIDA scan. You will be lucky if
> it is your gallbladder, usually it is removed
> laparoscopically and you are up and ready to roll
> in 1 or 2 days...although they will tell you more
> time.

I think they are going to ultrasound my gallbladder pretty soon here.

Posted by: Lurker#6 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:57PM

Ask your doctor about costochondritis.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/costochondritis/symptoms-causes/syc-20371175

It is not serious, but can be very uncomfortable and annoying. It's also hard to diagnose and difficult to treat. It can be a real pain in the ...uh... chest.

Good luck

Date: April 15, 2018 09:09PM

Alrighty i will keep that in mind. I am pretty sure the gallbladder is a problem for sure though from the tests they have done so far.

Date: April 15, 2018 10:37PM

Gallbladder and appendix past the tests but they think it might be a stomach thing or an acid reflux thing still. But atleast i know.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:35PM

I have pain in this area and it's been diagnosed as GERD and esophageal spasms. When you had your other esophageal tests did you have a manometry? As others have suggested, it could be your gallbladder. I hope you get some answers and relief. Sub-sternal pain is scary.

Date: April 16, 2018 01:16AM

I don't even understand whats going on there are so many different organs. It could be a muscle thing or a lung thing or just an esophagus thing. I am on acid reflux meds now so we'll see how that goes. I smoked for about six years so i kind of want to get my lungs checked just for peace of mind and to rule them out.

Date: April 18, 2018 01:38PM

I kind of want to get my esophagus investigated by a camera and even my stomach just to be sure nothing is wrong in those areas. Never had that esophagus test that you are talking about. Just had a swallow test and then a dilation(esophagus widening)

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:53PM

Stress. You have muscles attached to the sternum,and when you are in stress the muscles tighten. Hurts like an SOB. You can do biofeedback buta good muscle relaxant works wonders.

Date: April 16, 2018 01:19AM

Anon 3 Wrote:
> Stress. You have muscles attached to the
> sternum,and when you are in stress the muscles
> tighten. Hurts like an SOB. You can do biofeedback
> buta good muscle relaxant works wonders.

Definitely could be the muscles that attach to the sternum and i have been stressed for sure financially.

Posted by: Harold ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:45PM

A left jab by Mike Tyson or a swift kick my Conner McGregor.

Date: April 17, 2018 11:37AM

Harold Wrote:
> A left jab by Mike Tyson or a swift kick my Conner
> McGregor.

It actually does feel like someone punched me really hard and even broke some ribs type of a feel.

Date: April 17, 2018 11:44AM

I feel the same way -- like I have a large rubber band around my ribs, or that they are poking me in strange ways. I'm getting my testing done today. So we shall see.

Date: April 18, 2018 01:41PM

summer Wrote:
> I feel the same way -- like I have a large rubber
> band around my ribs, or that they are poking me in
> strange ways. I'm getting my testing done today.
> So we shall see.

Yes a tight rubberband that is constricting your breathing and lungs it feels like. That's why i thought it was a lung thing.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:57PM

The only reason a Doctor performs an esophageal dilation is for

a blockage or if it's difficult for you to swallow. Here's some

info that you might need to know.

https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/patient-info/patient-education/understanding-esophageal-dilation/

Date: April 17, 2018 11:44AM

saucie Wrote:
> The only reason a Doctor performs an esophageal
> dilation is for
>
> a blockage or if it's difficult for you to
> swallow. Here's some
>
> info that you might need to know.
>
>
> https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/patient-
> info/patient-education/understanding-esophageal-di
> lation/

I just read that an esophagus stretch could cause chest pain. I had it done a couple weeks ago but i had chest pain before the procedure i think. It seriously feels like someone jumped on my chest while i slept.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:01PM

Esophageal reflux. Oh my hell! I have it. I never had it until my daughter bailed on her wedding. I had to get up and leave a restaurant because I couldn't swallow. I ended up vomiting up what I had in my esophagus. It took hours for it to stop spasming.

I don't have it that often, but my doctor said it is probably stress. She told me to take a Xanax when I get it and that does help.

My boyfriend suggested ranitidine. I type all these things, so I recognize the meds. I took it once. Oh my hell! It just got much worse. Recently, I had it quite bad and he told me to try another one and I really did think I was going to have to go to the ER. I read up on it on line and it says if you have slow motility, then ranitidine makes it continue to reflux up into your esophagus. Took extra Xanax and I was in horrible, horrible pain. Whole chest felt like it was spasming.

It could be either the reflux or gallbladder. Having a gallstone can be exquisitely painful, but I've never had one. The reflux is killing me. I'm sure the diet coke isn't helping so I drink a lot less than I used to.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:31PM

I recall that BAA has complained of intolerance to the CPAP/BIPAP, which is needed for sleep apnea (SA) AND SA causes GERDS.

I bet you have GERD's secondary to SA, BAA!!!

Date: April 17, 2018 11:48AM

Bill Wrote:
> I recall that BAA has complained of intolerance to
> the CPAP/BIPAP, which is needed for sleep apnea
> (SA) AND SA causes GERDS.
>
> I bet you have GERD's secondary to SA, BAA!!!

I do have sleep apnea and i have been testing out a knew dental device so i don't have to use the mask. I don't know if the dental device even works yet i haven't heard the results of the test i took.

Date: April 16, 2018 03:36PM

Ah man they just put me on ranitidine yesterday.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 10:09PM

I've only taken ranitidine after I was already in severe pain. So take it as prescribed and see if it helps. If you get worse pain, then stop taking it. It might help you. It helps my boyfriend.

I'm sure stress is what causes my reflux.

Date: April 17, 2018 11:49AM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
> I've only taken ranitidine after I was already in
> severe pain. So take it as prescribed and see if
> it helps. If you get worse pain, then stop taking
> it. It might help you. It helps my boyfriend.
>
> I'm sure stress is what causes my reflux.

Well i am stressed. I am stressed about this chest pain problem haha.

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:21PM

I think I have had this before, it was always after eating/swallowing food. I tried very hot water a few times and it seemed to help, almost as if the food wasn't going down. Has anyone tried that??

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 10:11PM

Cold fluids make mine worse. Even water. So I'm going to try warm water.

I have the same symptoms where I can't swallow. The first time I kept trying to drink and that is why I had to leave the restaurant as I had to get rid of all the water that was in my throat and mouth because it wouldn't go down.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 01:10PM

I have a wrestling injury from HS in which my rib separated from my sternum briefly (joined by cartilage). Since then the joint can ache when there is a sudden change in barometric pressure, so sometimes I can feel it when rain or snow is coming because a front is moving in.

Date: April 18, 2018 01:46PM

mrtranquility Wrote:
> I have a wrestling injury from HS in which my rib
> separated from my sternum briefly (joined by
> cartilage). Since then the joint can ache when
> there is a sudden change in barometric pressure,
> so sometimes I can feel it when rain or snow is
> coming because a front is moving in.

This is the first thought that comes to my mind with my sternum pain. I was playing church ball when i was a scrawny teen and you know how aggressive church ball gets. I was setting a pick for my teammate and then the guy i set the pick on elbowed me really hard in the sternum and sent me to the ground sliding. It felt like he broke my sternum. This is what always comes to mind when i get pain in the chest, that one event.

Posted by: The Mormon God ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:21PM

health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strenth in the lions and in the sinews ...

Date: April 18, 2018 05:33PM

The Mormon God Wrote:
> health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strenth
> in the lions and in the sinews ...

Power in the priesthood be upon me and upon my posterity for all generations of time and for all eternity. (At least i can get through to the celestial kingdom even in pain that's all i care about).

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:31PM

Adam, I'm concerned about your situation. If you're able to take Internet advice with more than one grain of salt, it may be harmless, but you really should be getting medical advice from a healthcare professional who is physically present to examine you.

Date: April 18, 2018 05:43PM

scmdnotloggedin Wrote:
> Adam, I'm concerned about your situation. If
> you're able to take Internet advice with more than
> one grain of salt, it may be harmless, but you
> really should be getting medical advice from a
> healthcare professional who is physically present
> to examine you.

I have been examined 4 times this week. They say i have acid reflux, costochonditus in the ribs, a bone spur on my hyoid bone that i am getting removed next month. And my SI joints might need to be fused. And i am still trying to overcome PTSD which is impossible and so is deprogramming mormonism. The end.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:50PM

We are with you, BAA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.