Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 07:50PM

"Former first lady Barbara Bush will not seek additional medical treatment after a series of recent hospitalizations, a family spokesman said Sunday.

In a statement, the spokesman said Bush, 92, would instead focus on "comfort care” after consulting with doctors and family members.

It wasn’t immediately clear what Bush, the wife of former President George H.W. Bush, had been hospitalized for.

“It will not surprise those who know here that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others,” the statement said.

“She is surrounded by a family she adores and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving....”

The Bushes celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary earlier this year. They are the longest married couple in presidential history."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/barbara-bush-won-t-seek-more-medical-treatment-after-hospitalizations-n866131

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 07:54PM

She has COPD and congestive heart failure. I think she's ready to go. She's had a good long life and her family is with her. I hope that she has a peaceful end.

I was just looking at her wedding picture, and she was so pretty as a young woman. They were both a very handsome couple.

As a teacher, I love and appreciate that her focus as first lady was on literacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 07:55PM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 08:40PM

I think she has the wisdom to know when to throw in the towel.

She is an exceptionally wise person. I have always admired her.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:31AM

If Mrs. Bush has congestive heart failure and has had enough of it I admire her for stopping the meds and opting for the pain killers.

I watched a woman in my mother's skilled care facility try to hang on to life because her husband did not want her to leave him. She was absolutely miserable but kept coming back from the brink over and over. When she was finally resting comfortably and about to let go, somebody gave her oxygen and she revived enough to live a couple more days in agony once again.

When this woman finally died, her husband ran out and proposed marriage to his wife's best friend. She declined the offer so he died about two weeks later.

I wonder how long GHWB will last if Barbara leaves this world.

Date: April 16, 2018 07:19AM

Well that is a crazy assed story if I ever heard one.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:52PM

My dad informed me that he would be dating because, "It was not meant that man should live alone." He told me this AT MY MOM'S FUNERAL.

He was no catch, but that didn't stop droves of TBM women from pursuing him. The one he married (a civil ceremony in the temple) about 6 months later dumped his a** after three weeks and tried to take his last dime.

How's that for a crazy assed story?

Date: April 17, 2018 01:42PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dad informed me that he would be dating
> because, "It was not meant that man should live
> alone." He told me this AT MY MOM'S FUNERAL.
>
> He was no catch, but that didn't stop droves of
> TBM women from pursuing him. The one he married (a
> civil ceremony in the temple) about 6 months later
> dumped his a** after three weeks and tried to take
> his last dime.
>
> How's that for a crazy assed story?

That's crazy alright.

When my stepmom died some co-worker who she used to work with snagged my dad almost immediately following her funeral. That lasted barely a few months, at most. She was looking for a "sugar daddy" to take care of her. My dad wanted someone to look after him lol. It was a "no go." It seems they annulled their marriage, or a quickie divorce. She mistook my dad for Daddy Warbucks. :)

Then dad met someone from a personal ad who was financially well off. But when they met and dad realized she had difficulty climbing stairs he decided he didn't want someone with a disability. He was looking for perfection. And he was no catch either by the age he was then lol.

My stepmom had been the love of his life. She was the last one too, so at least he didn't get yoked to someone who was not his equal after she died and would've been worse off than he was.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 11:07AM

Not a fan of BB.

‘Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? It’s not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?’

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-beautiful-mind/

Date: April 16, 2018 12:28PM

Put in context her comment meant more than the one liner you reprinted here though:

"I watch none. He [former President Bush] sits and listens and I read books, because I know perfectly well that, don’t take offense, that 90 percent of what I hear on television is supposition, when we’re talking about the news. And he’s not, not as understanding of my pettiness about that. But why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it’s gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it’s, it’s not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that? And watch him suffer.

Read within the context of the full interview, it was a tiny bit more clear that Mrs. Bush’s “beautiful mind” statement referred to her desire not to become mesmerized by the pre-war media speculation of what such an invasion would mean, what sorts of weaponry and defenses U.S. troops might well be walking into, which troops would be committed and when they’d be deployed, how long the war would last, and how high the body count might be.

Prior to the commencement of hostilities, such matters were the subject of endless supposition by various news pundits. While maybe not “90 percent” of what was filling the air waves was guesswork rather than hard news, Mrs. Bush’s point that news of that moment was much more about what could or might happen rather than what was happening was valid. Her comment was not meant as a dismissal of actual deaths or suffering (troops had not yet been engaged at the time of her remark), but of news coverage that amounted to one expert after another’s making predictions about what they saw as likely to occur."

Date: April 16, 2018 03:04PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Put in context her comment meant more than the one
> liner you reprinted here though:
>
> "I watch none. He sits and listens and I read
> books, because I know perfectly well that, don’t
> take offense, that 90 percent of what I hear on
> television is supposition, when we’re talking
> about the news. And he’s not, not as
> understanding of my pettiness about that. But why
> should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and
> how many, what day it’s gonna happen, and how
> many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean,
> it’s, it’s not relevant. So, why should I
> waste my beautiful mind on something like that?
> And watch him suffer."

I don't think it improves with more context. I feel like I'm listening to female Trump except the huge difference being Trump probably never reads anything.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:24PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> I don't think it improves with more context.

Yeah, I'm with you.
It sounds like she didn't want to bother her "beautiful mind" about the American boys and girls who were about to die in horrible ways (or, later, the ones that did).

Perhaps if she considered the actual brutalities of war, she wouldn't have been so unthinkingly supportive of starting them...

Date: April 16, 2018 03:42PM

Amen.

This just twists in me.

"television is supposition" In the realm of fake news, body counts usually count as facts.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 09:04PM

She seems to be a wonderful person. Her husband was a real sell out.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 10:01PM

She is one Bush I admire.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 10:42AM

Despite the fact that we've had some presidents that I could do without, for most of my life, until now, we've had first ladies I really admire. Barbara Bush, Betty Ford, Laura Bush, and others. I admire Ms. Bush and her example of fortitude and dignity. And don't even get me going about my love for the most previous first lady.

The thing that calls herself a first lady now is such a joke. Can't even admire her for still being married to the thing she's married to. Any opportunist would be. All you can do is laugh about her cyber bullying campaign. Oh, she meant she'd encourage her sidekick to teach young people HOW to be a cyber bully. Sorry, I was confused.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:54PM

^^^ THIS ^^^

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:36PM

Yup, but I do feel a little sorry for anyone who has to put up with Trumpty Dumpty,much less sleep with him.Her choice though

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:37PM

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:47PM

Barbra Bush was one lady that was full of piss and vinegar. She gave as well as she got. She loved her family passionately and appeared to live a good full life. I wish her peace and comfort in her final days.

HH =)

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 01:02PM

I hope she has a safe journey.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:11PM

It appears as though she is prepared to let nature take it’s course. I hope medication can ease any pain through thr process.

It does remind me of the opposite, when GBH went through such extensive procedures.

One would have expected that with a certain 2nd anointing, and frequent meetings with Jesus himself, GBH would have welcomed death.

Date: April 16, 2018 03:43PM

Gheco Wrote:
> One would have expected that with a certain 2nd
> anointing, and frequent meetings with Jesus
> himself, GBH would have welcomed death.

Jesus told him personally what was going to happen to him from being such a DB.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 08:04PM

I don't remember how it came up--if George Bush the younger was called a *mamma's boy,* but his answer is memorable:

"It's an honor to be a mamma's boy to Barbara Bush."

Date: April 16, 2018 09:53PM

Yeah. One of his better comebacks. :)

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 07:57PM

Mrs. Barbara Bush has passed away here at their home in Houston while surrounded by her entire family... what a lovely and loving woman. <3

https://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Barbara-Bush-dead-at-age-92-12834359.php

Date: April 18, 2018 04:45AM

May she R.I.P.

She's gone to her eternal rest.

Date: April 18, 2018 05:44PM

Nice obituary. Thanks for posting.

I didn't realize she made Texas her lifelong home following marriage to George. I knew her son GW was. Interesting bio.

:)

Date: April 18, 2018 08:57AM

The three things that mattered most to Barbara Bush were: 1) faith; 2) family; and 3) friends.

That's how she lived her life.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:57AM

Per her granddaughter, Jenna:

"She opened up to her granddaughter, TODAY's Jenna Bush Hager, on the occasion of her 90th birthday in 2015 about why she never colored her hair and always wore her pearls.

"The pearls are to cover the wrinkles, which they no longer do,'' she said with her wry sense of humor. "You can't wear pearls all over your face."

Bush's love of sports and being active outdoors contributed to her keeping her hair white over the years.

"The white hair was because I wanted to play golf,'' she said. "I wanted to play tennis. I wanted to swim and my hair turned, as I'm sure someone else will tell you, orange, green, yellow, depending upon how much chlorine in the pool. So I decided to go white."

Makes sense to me.
https://www.today.com/style/barbara-bush-kept-her-hair-white-always-wore-pearls-t127101

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 04:05PM

She was a lovely person.

May she rest now.

Posted by: Msanon ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:13PM

Drunk. She also turned her nose up at my gay brother and his partner at a charity event they organized in Texas. She refused to talk to them. Her husband was most gracious and nice to them. He even remembered them at another event the next year. He even told them he wanted to do another parachute jump but Barbara wouldn't agree to it. My brother and his partner told him to do it if that's what he wanted. A few months later, he did.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:56PM

From various news sources,

"On 5 September 2005, Barbara Bush and her husband, former president George H.W. Bush, toured the Astrodome complex in Houston that was being used as temporary lodging for thousands of citizens displaced from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. They visited with evacuees being housed in the stadium, and on their walk-thru of the make-shift quarters that amounted to little more than a sea of cots in a wide open room . . ."

"Later that day, Mrs. Bush was a guest on Marketplace, a show on public radio. During that interview she made these remarks about her interactions with the people quartered in the Astrodome:

"Almost everyone I’ve talked to says, ‘We’re going to move to Houston.’ What I’m hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them."

A sea of cots. People who have lost everything. And she says that?

No. After those comments and the "beautiful mind" comment, I find it hard to see Barbara Bush as the lovely person others do. I found her shallow and entitled.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:17PM

She lived in a bubble where anything reported to her was suspect and she only saw what she wanted to see.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:37PM

I get tired of the "lovely person" thing. I didn't know her personally so I don't know the real her. We all know the image she wanted the public to see--lovely and feisty. However we also have a lot of real news items and quotes etc that show another side of Barbara Bush and it does not paint with the same brush.

I see buying the Barbara image wholesale the same as buying the Mormon church image they project at face value.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:42PM

What's hard for me to understand is blind hatred toward a total stranger in the news who has recently passed away.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:45PM

Blind hatred? Never said I hated her. Actually don't care about her one way or another.

Just pointed out that she has said some things that I find disturbing and do not go along with now everyone calling her lovely.

Blind adoration perhaps on the part of some?

Do not put words in my mouth Cheryl.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:51PM

Why? You don't have a reason. You're speaking with no evidence.

Someone dead for a day and can't learn lessons from those who tell them they should have worked harder and done more. It's too late now.

Better to tell those who are alive than to speak blindly of the dead.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:54PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Better to tell those who are alive than to speak
> blindly of the dead.

Or watch unreliable t.v. news about body counts?

Date: April 19, 2018 03:33PM

The above quotes can be found from dozens of sources. She said these things in public and on the radio. There is evidence so don't say there isn't. These things were the talk on the news when they happened. I didn't make it up.

I said I found her shallow and entitled. I do not necessarily dislike her. Don't assume. I find it hard to extricate the fact that she lived a life of extreme privilege from her total as a person---lovely parts and all which she most likely had.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:26PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> I get tired of the "lovely person" thing. I
> didn't know her personally so I don't know the
> real her. We all know the image she wanted the
> public to see--lovely and feisty. However we also
> have a lot of real news items and quotes etc that
> show another side of Barbara Bush and it does not
> paint with the same brush.
>
> I see buying the Barbara image wholesale the same
> as buying the Mormon church image they project at
> face value.

Barbara Bush would be the last to say she was a perfect human being. She seemed more human because she was down-to-earth and had basic core values that are at the heart of what it means to be a person of worth IMO.

She was a role model to me, despite her privileged life and having been the wife and mother of two US presidents.

For all of her flaws, she was still a genteel woman. And that is how I choose to remember her.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:50PM

Yes. You have already said as much in several places here.

I just like to present a few more facets to the personality.

She was a major public personality. Are we now to just give her sainthood rather than see the whole person?

Date: April 19, 2018 02:01PM

I don't see anyone here giving her sainthood.

Eulogy is more like it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 12:40PM

I made a good living in that same bubble!!!!

I heard (made up) this story about Babs Bush: She was at a conference sponsored by an organization called "Middle East Oil for Western Cultures", accompanying her husband, who had gas. She was there strictly as arm candy.

But then through the machinations of Russian agitprop (been a long time since you've seen this word in print!) she wound up being interviewed by Yemeni newspaper reporters and she'd had a few too many drinks earlier...

Throughout the interview, under the impression that she was being hilarious, she kept asking questions based on, "How many Yemeni does it take to ...?" She thought her best one was "How many Yemeni can you feed for a penny?" She never supplied the answer, but never lost hope that one or more of the reporters would play along...

But because she was speaking through an interpreter, the humor was lost on the reporters, and other non-English speakers in attendance, and they came away thinking that Babs was a rude alcoholic, which was fine with them because it helped foster anger and hatred towards Westerners in general, and Americans in particular. The agitprop people got a big bonus, which they spent on Vodka, bingeing the next night while trying to come up with answers to Babs' "How many Yemeni..." questions.

The winning answer to "How many Yemeni can you feed for a penny?" was voted to be, "Four, if the waiter is honest" which is really hilarious in Russian. I guess you had to be there.

ETA: for those doubting my scholarship, please see the following citation: https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2103377,2104698#msg-2104698

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 12:40PM by elderolddog.

Date: April 18, 2018 09:49PM

Anyone who says they were is lying or mistaken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 04:31AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:20AM

True . . .

But the adoration is lost on me. Role model? An older woman married to a President. She did what? Made a few jokes and smiled. Wore pearls?

I know more about Elderdog better than Barbara Bush and find him to be much more worthy of high praise. I can't help but feeling "who gives a squat about Barbara Bush"? Then again, I feel that way about many famous people.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 06:48PM

What do you know, and who have you told?!?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 08:45PM

I'm kind of with you on this, Jay.

Date: April 21, 2018 08:54AM

I'll be missing my morning worship services to watch Barbara's funeral on television, starting at 10:00 am ET.

She was a woman of a deep and abiding faith, but didn't proselytize it. That went against her grain.

She was raised Presbyterian and later became Episcopalian. She'll be eulogized at St Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston. :)

"Thousands of people, from the rich and the famous to the working-class and the anonymous, came for the viewing on Friday and the funeral on Saturday at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, which she and her husband, former President George Bush, began attending soon after moving to Houston in the late 1950s. The mourners paid tributes over the span of two days, under heavy security and the solemnity of saying goodbye to one of the most prominent political matriarchs of their lifetimes.

“She’s kind of America’s grandma,” said the Houston police chief, Art Acevedo. “Barbara Bush is about as close to Texas royalty as you can come.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/us/barbara-bush-funeral.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.