Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 06:34PM

One of my TBM acquaintances (we knew each other in high school) posted this on her social media account today:

"The prophets have asked us to have a picture of Christ and the Temple in every room in our home." The comment was accompanied by a pic of a gallery wall in her home that had multiple temples on it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, in EVERY room? Like as in the bathrooms too? My own parents already have Mormon art in their kitchen, family room, dining room, and *drum roll* in their bedroom. Was this commanded of the saints during GC? Has anyone else heard this? Every TBM home I've been in already looks like a Mormon art museum....but now they need to step it up? Or is this not NEW news? The girl was promoting a website where you could buy prints of 'The Proclamation', temples, etc. It seemed like she was tooting her own horn saying look at me! I'm such an obedient TBM!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 06:58PM

The profit must've bought stock in the LDS company that sells pictures of imagined-Jesus and temples...

Follow the profit!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 07:33PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The profit must've bought stock in the LDS company
> that sells pictures of imagined-Jesus and
> temples...
>
> Follow the profit!

Bingo !!!!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:07PM

Um no. Where did they say that?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:17PM

Oh my.... will the next move be making TBM new homes look like small temples?

I truly feel sorry for the kids in these situations where there are pictures, the Ensign Magazine, the Book of Mormon, sayings such as "no empty chairs", wallpapering and cluttering the house.

I have been in several homes where the only stuff I could see to read was MormonCult propaganda...and the TV had few channels and they were monotored to keep the children spiritually pure.

Poor kids.

Date: April 16, 2018 07:39PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
> Oh my.... will the next move be making TBM new
> homes look like small temples?
>

Oh yuck that would be uber cultish! It seems like today's Mo's are trying realllly hard to be trendy while 'obedient'. The temple pics were sepia-toned with a nice dark frame around it. If it weren't for being a picture of a temple, it would look like nice wall decor. It's definitely different than the stuff my TBM parents have always had hanging in their home.

And as for the kids I feel sorry for them too! I have walked into my parent's house (where my TBM sister and her family live too) and there are techno-style primary songs blasting on the stereo. So not the way things were when I was a kid. LOL

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:47PM

CHEAP [fake] (Art Is Not) Pictures. Reproductions... and not even good ones. Creepy creeping

M@t

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 08:46PM

My parents used to have a picture of Jesus in the bathroom. I'm not sure if they did it to "remind us of the savior" or to show off to any guests who used that bathroom.
Either way, putting a picture of Jesus where it looks like he's watching you take a dump is beyond weird.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 08:49PM

I have a picture of Jesus taking a dump hanging in the bathroom.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:56AM

OMG, Jay...that is effing hilarious, dude. WOW!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 08:55PM

A picture of Jesus and the Temple in every cabin on every deck
of Titanic...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 09:22PM

Or she was paid to promote the company?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 09:50PM

kept calling me all the time after my ex left us. She just found out her son is gay and abandoned his family, and she said that what we needed was a picture of Jesus in every room. Actually, that was one thing I had. We just both had pictures of Jesus when we got married and so I hung them. Only temple picture I had was a wedding gift.

I never grew up with mormon pictures all over the house. My parents didn't have a mormon picture until my nonmormon BIL bought a really neat old one for them at a garage sale.

I'm shocked at how much mormon art people have in their homes.

But my MIL was just sure that that was the problem. She kept me on the phone 8 hours that night. I quit taking her calls.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:00AM

If a man is gay, I suspect seeing highly-stylized, made-to-look-perfect pictures of Jesus all over the house might bring up some thoughts your MIL wouldn't approve of...:)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 10:42PM

My parents never had any religious pictures in their home...no JS, or JC or BY. And I never remember them reading scripture either unless it was dad writing his High Council talks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 01:25AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 11:00PM

My temple name is Moroni. I am available weekends and holidays to stand on the highest point of your roof, pretending to blow on a plastic golden horn, for only $37.99/hour, but just $32.99 if I can wear my dark glasses. I promise not to pee while on your roof.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:15AM

As long as you bring Saucie too ;-)

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:25AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> My temple name is Moroni. I am available weekends
> and holidays to stand on the highest point of your
> roof, pretending to blow on a plastic golden horn,
> for only $37.99/hour, but just $32.99 if I can
> wear my dark glasses. I promise not to pee while
> on your roof.

I would pay to have you stand on my roof with dark glasses and a trumpet in hand. As long as you paint yourself in gold to top it off haha.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:17AM

(Cussing) fuck that noise. I had to cuss at that one.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:45AM

I notice they're almost exclusively quotes from prophets and apostles, much less LDS scripture and quite rarely Biblical. Usually just insipid motivational slogans and aphorisms.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 06:11AM

Such pictures remind me of idols.

Date: April 17, 2018 10:54AM

I have several pictures at my place of the REAL BoM translation process, including the one from South Park...

I strive for accuracy in my choices of artwork...not made-up bull$hit from the cult known as LD$, Inc.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:01AM

Soon it will be every wall of every room of the house. Eventually, faith-promoting pictures will be required on every visible surface with which a TBM may come in contact.

A slippery slope for a slippery organization run by slippery men.

Posted by: inmate30265 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:26PM

"To you parents of young children, may I share with you some sage advice from President Spencer W. Kimball. Said he: “It would be a fine thing if … parents would have in every bedroom in their house a picture of the temple so [their children] from the time [they are] infant[s] could look at the picture every day [until] it becomes a part of [their lives]. When [they reach] the age that [they need] to make [the] very important decision [concerning going to the temple], it will have already been made.”6

T.M. Monson
Conference Talk
April, 2011

Can you say "conditioning?" What a wonderful and spirtual motivation for people to attend the temple....having a picture on a wall and looking at every day. This is an insight into how we condition children for desired behaviors.

Date: April 17, 2018 01:03PM

Thank you for finding a reference! My mother put up one of those posters in my bedroom (back in the 80's) of a teenage girl looking longingly at the temple. She was trying that conditioning on me when I was a child. Then when I broke free from tssc and got together with my nevermo boyfriend (now husband) she fired back at me with, "but you always dreamed of getting married in the temple!!" Um, no I didn't.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:58PM

bluebutterfly, your experience (with your mom insisting that you "always wanted to get married in the temple") reminded me of an experience from well over a half-century ago.

When I first began kindergarten, I decided within the first few hours that I'd had more than enough of it. I could already read by myself, but we were not allowed to touch books on the shelf. We had to sit on the rug and listen as the teacher read a book.

I was furious. Access to books (and the library) was the only reason I had reluctantly agreed to go to school anyway. (I didn't really understand that it wasn't a choice.)

People would ask me, "How do you like school?" I would reply, with sincerity ringing in every syllable, "I HATE it!"

My mother would say in this sappy-sugary voice, "Oh, no, Honey - you LOVE school!"

But I didn't. I genuinely hated it until I got to university level. I tried to tell Mother repeatedly, "Don't say I love school, when it's a LIE! Why are you LYING?" She would fly into a rage and try to hit me.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:20PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:27PM

Moroni, the patron latter day saint of temples!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:26PM

Most don't. My parents had a crucifix above their bed, which is not unusual for Catholics. But there was no other religious iconography on the walls of our house. Same for my friends.

IMO Catholics would consider it odd to have a picture up of a church or of the Vatican. They admire their buildings but don't worship them. Different customs, I guess.

Posted by: inmate30265 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 01:30PM

I remember when I heard this remark in Conference because of the tone of voice and weird look on the face of Monson when he said it; it hit me wrong then, it's hits me wrong now. It felt manipulative.

Of course, the interesting question: if people inherently love going to the temple and see the benefits of attending, why does the Church feel like it needs to continue to so strongly exhort/pressure people to go?

Sorry to hear of your mom's behavior, b-butterfly, wish I could say it was unique to the Mormon culture.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:19PM

What Mormons really want is their very own toilet brush.

Be generous to your TBM friends.

Posted by: Tommy Chong ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 07:32PM

Jesus shrine in every living room. This was forseen by the Prophet Cheech Marin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H5uooiAQZ8s

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:09AM

Not only that. we should be buying all our underwear at Deseret book / temple centers.
We should be subscribed to church publications.
We should reading the biographies of the prophets and apostles.
We should have a one years supply of food storage, easily purchased from the church.
We should be giving our labor to the church as well.

I am sure they will come up with something else, as soon as they find another way to milk the faithful.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to tithe, you selfish jerks!

Date: April 18, 2018 08:51AM

Ayn Rand, in a 1970 essay entitled "The Comprachicos" (roughly meaning "the child buyers"), addressed a similar situation...

"The purposeful, disciplined use of his intelligence is the highest achievement possible to man: it is that which makes him human. The higher the skill, the earlier in life its learning should be started. The same holds true in reverse, for those who seek to stifle a human potential. To succeed in producing the atrophy of intelligence, a state of man-made stupidity, one must get hold of the victim early; a mental dwarf must be started when he is small. This is the art and science practiced by the comprachicos of the mind."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.