Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:00AM

They make lots of little changes all the time such as home teaching.Would they adjust the worship style to comply with African culture and attract and retain African members?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:31AM

They won't even allow guitars in the US.
So...somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 10:15AM

Are jews harps allowed in synagogues ?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:47AM

In the original temple in Jerusalem ALL instruments were to used including bagpipes.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:58AM

The bagpipe was an Arab invention that was later embraced by the Scots. It makes sense it would be used by the ancient Jews in Israel.

Date: April 17, 2018 12:06PM

The Bible version I prefer, the New American Version translates the "pipes" in Psalms as bagpipes.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:22PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are jews harps allowed in synagogues ?

Depends on the Jewish movement the synagogue is affiliated with, that specific congregation (the members of the congregation vote on this kind of issue), and also the circumstances of the "performance."

In Orthodox synagogues, no instruments are allowed for Shabbat or other "holy day" services...in Reform synagogues, instruments are usually allowed (depending on the specific congregation involved)...plus everything "in between" for everyone in between.

Some congregations are extremely musically-oriented (some congregations exist, specifically, to accommodate Jews who are in the performing arts in various capacities...and others are like IKAR, in Los Angeles, which is continuing to have a growing effect on congregations worldwide)...while other congregations are (by comparison) extremely restrained and "formal."

This is one of the many issues which underlie the phenomenon of Jews going "shul shopping." Often, Jews find the CONGREGATION they feel at home in, and THEN they identify with that particular Jewish movement.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:09AM

They'll have to sell their drums to get tithing money. So, no.

Date: April 17, 2018 11:46AM

But....some electronic organs are able to imitate the sounds of drums and bongos....and electric organs are permitted. Ergo: they should be permitted to use such or else organs should be used to create the sounds.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 11:50AM

No, they most likely have to conform to the church's way. Drab, funeral like hymns played on an organ. Drums and bongos are considered irreverent in their eyes.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:07PM

Surely You Jest!!!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:15PM

My reply exactly.

Or again.....I can see them being forced into a drum or two or three or four IF.....

the Africans donate a gold mine or two or three or four.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:15PM

Drums worked in the "road show" in the BoM Musical.

No. They will never allow the African stakes to be more interesting than the Utah stakes. I wish that were a joke, but I fear it is literally true.

Posted by: Anonski ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:18PM

Oh yeah...the church is very flexible.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 04:45PM

This is a particularly interesting question for me...

I just did a whirlwind "tour" of YouTube videos, looking and listening for indigenous African musical instruments, and the only thing I can see or hear in church-like services is pianos (mostly), with some organs.

In indigenous religious ceremonies (which are based on animist perspectives and ancestor worship), there are plenty of drums and other percussion instruments used (along with much singing and dancing, which often goes on for hours), but when people dress in "church-type clothes" (dresses...skirts...blouses..."business shirts"...long "business"-type slacks), evidently their musical practices in Christian religious services make a similar kind of religious transition (to Western-normative) as does their chosen clothing.

Bottom line: I could find no drums or other typical African musical instruments in the videos of Christian church services in Africa I found on YouTube...which is a shame, since the services would be far more to my liking if they included more African cultural elements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 04:46PM by Tevai.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:36PM

No.

Only the piano and organ appropriate

Only hymns written in the early 1800's are appropriate.

Only 1800's thee's and thou's language is appropriate.

Even though Bible dates humans for 6 thousand years, only early 1800's music and instruments are appropriate.

And lastly, only the 1950's USA lifestyle is appropriate, with shaved face, white shirts, and white skin.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 05:53PM

No, the goal is to destroy the culture and replace it with all things Mormon. Reenactment of handcart treks in Kenya will be the new faith promoting activity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 05:54PM by mikemitchell.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 06:21PM

Kenya MormonCult trek......

I can't decide whether to laugh or cry over this vision....maybe the answer is to do both.

I can set it all now.... beautiful bronze-colored Africans dressed in bright blues, reds, and yellows pulling (or pushing) carts also sporting bright hues, and the marchers, who cannot contain their song and dance to lighten the load, pull out the drums and other instruments they have brought along even when they were told to leave them behind.

But, hold on, the Stake President is shouting, "No, no, no. We must be appropriate. The right faith-promoting song to sing is, "Come, Come, Ye Saints". Let me help you with it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 07:12PM

Absolutely.

Both Oaks and Nelson have graciously agreed to allow fellow members to play "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet" in traditional African medley. Members have begun to line up for the blessed opportunity to beat the rhythm on the Mormon leaders' heads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 07:12PM by messygoop.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:48AM

No! They can't keep the beat. Free agency is an extinct personality problem.

African (American) drums would be rhythm to my soul.

M@t

Posted by: Mormon Bishop ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:56AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.