Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:00PM

Barbara Bush has died. RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 08:02PM by bona dea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:12PM

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:13PM

She was about the only Bush I liked. Of course, in retrospect, W wasn't so bad!

92 is a decent life. I hope her passing was peaceful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 08:16PM by captainklutz.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:16PM

My deep condolences to her family and friends; she was a remarkable woman.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:38PM

I really enjoyed her when she was First Lady. She was funny and people I knew would run into her all the time, all over town, reading to kids.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 08:45PM

Grace personified...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:05PM

As a lifelong liberal Democrat, I didn't have a lot of use for the Republican bunch.

But Barbara Bush was an exception. She was gracious, intelligent, very articulate, and I LOVED her promotion of literacy.

RIP, lovely First Lady. And thank you for doing an elegant job of being our First Lady.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 09:07PM

That is pretty much how I felt. I didnt vote for her husband or son, but she was a good person who brought grace to her role.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 01:34AM

In the blind narcissism of youth, I hated both George and Barbara. Their oil fortune, their political party, their inhumanity. Of course, now I realize they were both very decent people, they lived lives of service, and hating them was irrational ideological possession. May she rest in peace and may her husband be with her soon.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 02:15AM

I always admired her. Not a fan of the political orientation of the Bush family, but she was a genuinely likable person who served the role of First Lady and First Mother honorably.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:29PM

"Bush family didn’t want Trump attending Barbara’s funeral, so Trump is playing golf again today" -- headline

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:04PM

. . . is that he didn’t want to complicate the service with his personal security requirements.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:39PM

Melania is attending.

The choir is brilliant. Just sang Amazing Grace. A soloist sang "I walked in the garden alone."

Didn't know the Bushes had so many granddaughters! :)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 05:04PM

My children sang "Amazing Grace" at my mother's funeral with one singing the first verse solo. Sen. Lieberman sent a personal handwritten two page letter because he was unable to attend my mother's funeral. I was the one assigned to give the eulogy. My mother was only slightly older than Barbara Bush was at death and, like Barbara Bush, had refused further treatment.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 08:49PM

And he suffers from Parkinson's Disease.

Wonder how long he can last without her by his side? He has a strong support system, but she was his most ardent supporter.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 02:20AM

I got it - you didn't like my post. I didn't know that posting on this site could be equated to homework. If you are implying that you did my work for me then how come I still don't see a question mark on that "objectionable" post.

I recognize that Barbara Bush was a person of note and if that is why she is being eulogized, so be it. However, beyond that what was her contribution(a few extra in case I forget)??? Possibly as opposed to say, a young, recent high school graduate that got his life ended in a senseless war?

Date: April 22, 2018 10:26PM

. . . a focused, personal and committed cause of hers that has taken form as a program that is currently in place in 12 states.

In the summer of 1943, during WWII, she worked in a nuts—and-bolts factory.

She was the mother of a future president and the wife of another.

Among the thousand-plus people who attended her funeral service were four former US presidents.

That and more. Enjoy the educational voyage:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2105759,2105759#msg-2105759

Edited 24 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 04:14AM by steve benson.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 04:34PM

My mother met the mother of President George H. W. Bush at an event many years ago. In 1980 I sat next to George H. W. Bush at event in the campaign that year for almost an hour, I being the highest ranking Republican office holder present.
BTW, The Bushes are distant cousins.

Date: April 22, 2018 08:16PM

. . . at a 100th centennial anniversary celebration event for the Pulitzer prizes held in Dallas, Texas, at the GWB presidential library. It was a necktie affair, but W took off his and just hung around chatting casually. Laura was elegantly but simply attired in a black dinner dress with white pearls. W was in his “aw-shucks“ mode, while Laura was charming.

W is a painter and, in my opinion, quite good at stylized portraiture. We were talking shop, artist to artist, about capturing people’s faces, and he said something that, from my experience, rang absolutely true: “It’s the eyes. You’ve got to get the eyes.“

Speaking of which, I had my sketch pad and sharpies with me, so I drew both of their caricatures as we stood there before going into dinner, and gave them to them.

I hope I got their eyes. :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 08:47PM by steve benson.

Date: April 24, 2018 03:44AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.