Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:36AM

I love reading about how swearing is indicative of a good vocabulary and higher intelligence.

Mormons always said the opposite.

My mom was a natural swearer. I'm the swearer in my family.

I was at the dog park and kept getting stabbed in the ear with f this and f that from a group about 30 feet away.

I'm not opposed to using the occasional f bomb in the right setting, but I don't want it to become part of my everyday vocab. Maybe I'm just old.

My swearing has definitely increased since I got out, but mostly it changed from dang to damn etc.

What about y'all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 10:54AM

When the Boner and I chat it gets pretty blue but I adjust my cussing to suit the audience.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 02:29PM

What gets blue? The boner or the cussing?

Now I have that image in my head!

Date: April 18, 2018 04:59PM

I can report that Da Boner does not turn blue...lol

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:40PM

Good to know. Otherwise you'd have to give mouth to......whatever resuscitation. Ewwww!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:52PM

Ron’s language is VERY pure and refined! Never a cuss word passes from him. He is so pure in his thoughts and actions—we NEVER talk about sex or bodily functions. Ron is a strict tea-tottler. He would NEVER be seen at a bar (I had to make sure that I took him to a Utah RESTAURANT not a BAR). I shielded him from the sight of alcohol being poured and made the server cover up her shoulders.

During his visit, we drove by the temple and he made the cutest little gesture toward the holy edifice. The only time he ever seemed to get a little touchy was when we talked about Raymond, Alberta. Even then, his discourse was discreet and mild.

So, at the Reprobate’s encouragement, I’ve been working on improving my language. This is not a lot of bullshit, rather, “bull pucky.” The PURPLE Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 09:54PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:14AM

Fascinating ;)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 11:32AM

Nothing sounds more Mormon than a heartfelt "oh my heck". Blech.

It is kind of entertaining to hear those Mormons and exMos who really don't know the rules, and kind of botch swearing. It reminds me of comedian Jacov Smirnov (name?) and his heavily accented line "easy as cake, piece of pie". All the right parts, but the wrong assembly.

It's kind of endearing IMO. Mormons struggling to be normal.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 11:41AM

F-bombs are most effective when used sparingly. When used constantly, they lose their punch.

I'm a fan of "creative" swearers. Coming up with new zingers -- either completely new or made up of parts of existing swear words. It takes intelligence and creativity (both sides of the brain!) to do it well. And to know when not to do it. :)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 12:22PM

Russ Nelson and his most recent proclamation that Kenya is poor because of the poverty cycle and the way out is to give your money to someone in the USA makes him a penile yeast infection or a donkey fart. Either one or both.

Oh and fuck him in the urethra.

Since Jeff is with him on this trip he should be at least have the honor of cleaning that yeast infection for Russ.

Oh and Jeff can eat shit.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 12:38PM

A fine example of my point, jacob :)

Date: April 18, 2018 09:56PM

Says who? You got empirical data to back that up, wanker? And no, feelings aren’t reality! (I can’t wait to drop of few f-bombs over some beer, Hie, you know I fuckin’ love you! (Oops!).

Date: April 18, 2018 09:59PM

Dorothy, it would be my deep honor to hear any gentle descriptive adjectives and adverbs as you deem appropriate. The genteel Boner.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:01PM

Gerunds, too!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 11:43AM

You don't know the true order of swear.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 01:49PM

LOL!!

Would that be, "Pay Lay....aw FUCK IT!!"?

Date: April 19, 2018 11:29AM

You mean?

Oh Gawd, hear the expletives of my mouth.

Date: April 20, 2018 12:13AM

LOL!!! A tear rolled down my leg!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 12:13PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about y'all?

I see it as an art form. Mormonism is a terrible producer and appreciator of art.

When I find the perfect way to work an f-bomb into conversation I feel wonderful.

Date: April 18, 2018 09:59PM

See, see! That’s why I read your posts!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 12:12PM

Thanks Boner. Nothing relieves the cortisone producing stress in a body like swearing. Doing it with style is truly divine.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 01:47PM

I've been swearing since I was in the third grade. I once yelled "Shit!!" in seminary during a scripture chase competition, always cussed during church basketball games, and once said "You sons of bitches" to the MTC Prez and a G.A. as I was walking off of my mission.

I remember being confused and amused by the "substitute" swear language I heard when I went to BYU. Never heard anything like "flip", "fetch", or "frickin'" before in my life. Once I asked a guy why he didn't just say the "real" word. He snidely asked, "And what exactly IS the REAL word?" I said, "Fuck". He went running off screaming like someone had stuck an ice pick in his ear.

"Fuck me to tears" has always been my go to expression of disgust. The only adjustment I have made over the years is I used to hold back when I was around my children. Now that they are adults though...anything goes. It is funny to have a lively conversation with my semi-TBM daughter. She can cuss like a sailor.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:08PM

“Show me a man who can’t say fuck, and I’ll show you an unhappy man.” Judic West, Discourses, Vol. 12, p. 378.

Date: April 18, 2018 02:02PM

When I got to Ricks in September of 1966 I got my first exposure to Mormon pseudo swearing and my first reaction was "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT"?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 04:55PM

Never heard dang or darn come out of his mouth.

I cuss a lot. I use the F word a lot while I'm working. Nobody hears me except my kids. Maybe the neighbors hear me if the windows are open. It's amazing how irritated listening to doctors dictate all day makes me. Just depends on the doctor.

Otherwise, I do cuss, but it is pretty tame in not mormon company.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:39PM

Hi cl2. Always nice to see you.

You and I are in the same business. I totally hear what you're saying about listening to MDs all day. I used to love that type of work. Now - not so much.

Re dads swearing, I've often said that mine had the most creative vocabulary when it came to cussage. He used expressions I have never heard before or since, most very profane. But funny. Of course I felt wicked for laughing at it, especially as he usually brought religious terms into the mix. (We weren't an exceptionally religious family, more like he was brought up Protestant in England, Mom with an Irish Catholic mother so the influences and tendencies were there but my parents decided early on to let us decide for ourselves which way to jump. I was the most religious of the female children, for reasons unknown; the males never bit at all). It did shock me growing up though that Dad never minded swearing in front of us kids. Maybe he thought that not using the saltiest language meant it was OK. But his chosen expressions were closely intertwined with Jesus et al. I don't know how as a kid who didn't go to church I knew/felt/thought that was "wrong" and yet they made me laugh. Wickedness!

Sitting here at the moment I can't think of even one example of his creative terms. That makes me sad.

A character in a drama I enjoy often says "Jesus wept". It sounds so profane (to my tender Christian ears) and yet it is actually a scripture. It's all in the emphasis, I guess.

And yeah, cl2, those MDs can sure make a routine swearer out of someone even pure as the driven snow, as they say. And me too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 07:41PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:55PM

Being that my dad was mormon, although not very active even though he was the one who questioned me leaving more than my mother, it is interesting that my dad cussed like he did. All of my younger brothers and sister cussed as toddlers. I don't know if I did. Never asked. They were just mimicking dad. There are many stories of things that happened about cussing.

One time when my sister and I were quite young, my mother was waiting at a stop sign on main street. My older sister said, "Mom, just say what dad says, he always gets across."

I started cussing first when I had twins. My ex didn't like it much. Too bad.

But, yes, most doctors I don't mind. Well . . . even the best dictators can have their bad days. I'm just shocked at how lazy some of them are doing dictations. And they wonder why there are so many medical errors.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 03:20PM

Re the drs - yeah re errors. I get wrong patient names and dates of service, they spell words incorrectly (and I don't need the spelling help anyway), and it's a good thing I can check out crucial details in patient charts. Fortunately, a lot gets caught by the great folks in medical records depts prior to finalization, if it's at a hospital. Maybe that's why people are on the sloppy side (some transcriptionists too) as they know there's a check done before the final report is issued and so they act like they're preparing only a draft. That is pretty bad but is the least of my beefs with some of my clients and their appalling dictation ways. But that's another story.

As for Dad, it was crazy how he swore mightily in front of us kids even when we were very young. Surprisingly, none of us picked it up (until later in life for some of us, but none of us can do it like Dad did. The way he put the words together, and the words he used, it was unique to him in my experience - too bad I didn't write some of them down for posterity). It was amazing as Mom was/is a stereotypical English lady who never uttered/s a single cuss no matter what. Amusingly though, he would get annoyed if anybody else swore in front of Mom.

Christian leaders preach against swearing - not sure if that's specifically in the Bible. Maybe it says something about watching our words - does that refer to swearing? Not sure we would ever really know. It can make us judgemental against others, even thinking they can't be believers if they don't watch their language.

Behaviour, language, speech, clothing, appearance, jewellery, tattoos, marital status - so many ways to categorize and judge others. Too bad we can't just all get along, as a famous King has said, and quit making snap decisions about someone based on peripherals. As the Bible says, for those who believe in it, it's the heart that matters, not the appearance.

Words to live by. (I wish).

And actually, I hear that from many who have left religion behind. For many it is the very crux of their disbelief. I admire their instincts.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 05:49PM

Don't you think "shit sandwich" colorfully explains a lot of what Mormonism expects you to swallow.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 06:26PM

I did my swearing under my breath in the past. Well, not anymore! I have my favorites! Not a fan of the "F" word, but it has it's place, when well placed!
We all enjoyed my husband's swear words. He made up special words that had a special meaning and used for those special times when he was really fed up and frustrated. Some were old standards like
dang-nab-it, you dirty turkey, but others were his own creations.

When he was in the dying process resting in his hospital bed in Home Hospice, while I was straightening the room and closing the blinds one night, he asked: "when am I going home". Thinking, I just needed to show him his TV and his chair and it would convince him he was indeed home, I pointed them out, at which point he gathered his strength and said: "BULL SHIT" ! I nearly chocked on a laugh and had to leave the room and cracked up laughing. It's one of the funniest remembrances of his last few days! This was a man who never used real swear words but when needed, he let one fly!

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:34PM

Shut the front door!

Date: April 19, 2018 01:42AM

I appreciate these laughs so so much.

One of the joys of ExMormonism was my daughter’s friends apologizing for f bombs, and me responding with, “the fuck you say!” We all laughed and relaxed.

I enjoy a good f in every sense of the word.

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 02:14AM

While I was an active member I judiciously avoided all the good ole Aussie swear words. Not so, since I left, I feel insulted that someone would tell me that something that is part of my cultural heritage is wrong.

SOOOOOOO what the bloody hell is wrong with calling a blade a bloody shovel, and yelling at the bastard that is using it? Fair Dinkum (only slang there) sometimes I feel like taking a trip and going to Tumbabloodyrumba shooting kangarbloodyoos!! (Tumbarrumba is a remote town in Australia where there are lots of kangaroos to shoot.

Get the picture? Heh heh, GREAT stuff and helps you to get a lot off your chest when you are flamin mad!!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:41AM

Whether in the church or out. Too much swearing is a sign of a lower class person who does the swearing. I swear once in a great while. It can be a way of emphasizing something when other words alone don't quite do the job. But when someone is always saying f this and f that (similar to yelling all the time), it can be a sign that the person sees themself as a victem, or that they don't know how to express themselves well. When done right, swearing will shock those who know you just enough to know that what you just said is either very important, or to express a humerous thought well enough that the listener can't help but to laugh, including prudes who don't typically approve of swearing. For those who use swearing as a regular part of every paragraph, I try to tune them out or take less seriously, whatever they're saying.

On my mission, one missionary at a mission-wide Christmas dinner used the word "Fuck" fairly loudly in a story he told to several of us as we all ate. Several of us laughed so hard we nearly lost our mouth full of food in the process. No one called him on his choice of words whereas an abuse of swearing generally doesn't go over well amongst groups of missionaries. Swearing is all about moderation and context, when done correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 10:42AM by azsteve.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:48AM

I am a lower class person, therefore it is both right and proper that foul language proceedeth from my mouth as if it were a mighty river cascading over a majestic falls.

Only on White People's golf courses do I moderate my language, so as not to offend the high class people.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:58PM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:40PM

I guess if you don't swear too much, I could find some character-building work to help you overcome your swearing problem. Maybe you could mow my lawn or something (a wax-on, wax-off type of task to help instill self discipline). This is typically how people who can't express themselves well end up.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 01:18PM

My swear words per mile while driving would make you think I’m driving a Winnebago for my everyday commuter based on how many it takes to get to work and back every day.

Date: April 20, 2018 12:17AM

Swearing while driving does not count against one’s daily allotment of cuss words.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.