Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 06:44PM

President Nelson promises East Africans paying tithe will free them from poverty.

Because that is the "Lord's way," he assures the poor, meek, and mild who traveled by dusty busloads to come listen to him speak.

"President Nelson also said tithing can break cycles of poverty in poor nations and families.

"We preach tithing to the poor people of the world because the poor people of the world have had cycles of poverty, generation after generation," he said. "That same poverty continues from one generation to another, until people pay their tithing."

The law of the tithe was followed by ancient peoples as taught by Old Testament prophets. LDS faithful believe God restored the law and its blessings for those who follow it by giving one-tenth of their income to the church."

Creating more generational poverty IMO is not the way to cure it.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016023/dowry-is-not-the-lords-way-in-kenya-lds-president-nelson-says-tithing-breaks-poverty-cycle.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 06:55PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:00PM

The rich (Nelson & co.) get richer and the poor get the privilege of helping make that happen.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:04PM

Tithing makes the poor poorer. This is easily tested and has been tested.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:23PM

Sounds like the kinda of twisted logic only a religious zealot could come up with.

Date: April 19, 2018 08:39PM

It does make me wonder how profitable it is to go into these countries and basically request the impoverished pay a full tithing to TSCC?

How much money does the church gain by these poorest converts en masse?

Most missionaries to these poorest countries go to the people to help assist them develop ways to improve their diet and farming techniques. They may help build irrigation channels to supply water, etc.

But this? Is robbing from the poorest to prosper further the well off patriachy of the GA. They get paid CEO levels of salaries with all the perks. Guess it profits Nelson to preach this, like it does a televangelist asking their minions for money.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:30PM

I think the church's motivation is an interesting topic.

The surface evidence is that opening up a new 2nd or 3rd world country is expensive. And one has to wonder if there is even an expectation that money will one day flow from the country to the church (like Canada) or if the church is okay with some countries always being money pits.

Infrastructure, salaries (when they can't sucker senior missionaries), calling and paying native elders & sister to serve as missionaries... And no matter who is paying the $400/month for the US elders, the elders are bonus points for the poor country because they add outside income to the host country.

So why do they do it? Obvious reasons are

1. to have countries to which they can send missionaries for indoctrination

2. bragging rights

3. to keep up appearances...

They may preach tithing to the poor, but the message is also meant to resonate with the wealthy.

The fly in the ointment is, in my view, the evidence that is piling up that all things being equal, paying tithing doesn't do shit for increasing the quality of one's life. For every sterling example of a rich reward for paying tithing, there are more stories of tithe payors retiring poor, as well as non-tithe payors being amply blessed financially.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 10:24PM

Not the Peace Corps, nor Engineers Without Borders, not the Baptists nor Methodists, not even the Catholic church demands tithing to get into some mythical "McTemple".

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:35PM

Tithing definitely made my family poorer. I am now financially blessed because I don't pay it. I deeply regret that I gave any money to that reprehensible corporation. Those poor Africans! Now their children will be hungrier.

Date: April 19, 2018 08:42PM

Maybe TSCC sees them as 'easy marks.' They're not as educated as Americans who are able to discriminate and discern better who they want to pay homage to. Many are illiterate, gullible and more trusting.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:13PM

ziller can confirm this thred ~

ziller was poor negro ~

in b 4 ~ start paying tithing to a local evangelical bible church ~

brb ~ ziller am rich white-americun now ~

(srs) ~

jus' sayin' ~

brb ~

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:35PM

This looks like a new low for the church. When I was a teenager, the church was still teaching that all African blacks were subject to the curse of cain. Now the church is begging for money from these same people. I seriously doubt that the church will use the local tithing money to invest back in to the local community.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:44PM

The lying sack of Shit means it will wipe out his poverty.

Thats how the low life gets his pay check.

Don't be fooled.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:56PM

How is it possible to be even more disgusted with this corporation? Yes, it is a new low. The corporation should be looking at ways to help these members with their poverty, not exacerbate it. I hope major media will pick up on this. I will contact a couple of writers of major publications who have written about Mormonism in the past couple of years. I corresponded with them on other issues such as the baptism ban of children of gay couples and seen that information used in their articles. They have been friendly to us ex-Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 09:57PM by Eric K.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:36PM

Why is that type of exploitation legal? It’s no better than a Ponzi scheme.

Nelson will probably cinch the trick by spending a few dollars on these poor people, or send them some expired crap out of the bishops storehouse, and then say, “See the Lord’s blessing? Hallelujah!—-It worked!” and then leave them high and dry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:42AM

It is a Ponzi! The only reason the church has not been prosecuted is because the payoff is promised for the after life and no one has come back to complain to the authorities!

Maddof's mistake was to promise payoffs in this life...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:42PM

My daughter posted something about this on fb and she talked about how she has been blessed by paying tithing and THEN she brought up something that happened to us when I was a very broke single mother.

My aunt used to send me money just out of the blue. She and I were very close after her daughter who was 3 days older than I had died. I was going through a lot and so was she, and she was someone who cared. It just seemed she always knew when I needed some money. I needed more knowing that someone cared about me and she always got the timing perfect.

I hadn't paid tithing for YEARS, so why was it that my aunt was so intuitive as to know when I needed money. I didn't point that out to my daughter. I should have, but I'd just cause tension between she and I. She had to know I wasn't paying tithing.

Date: April 19, 2018 10:58PM

In countries where people have difficulties surviving, some charities sponsor micro-loans. Some community projects can be completed for as little as ten dollars. Some community projects cost between one hundred and five hundred dollars. So the charity might issue a $300 low-interest or no-interest loan to someone for the purpose of drilling a well. That pays for a small piece of machinery to do the drilling, and pays wages for those who live in the community and who do the physical work on the project. From the resulting prosperity to all, payments of (for example) ten dollars per month are made to repay the loan. Over a period of years, the same money recycles in the community as micro-capitalism teaches the people how to run an economy. Why can't the mormon church sponsor something like that? I guess that billion-dollar shopping malls are more profitable.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:52PM

When an organisation is morally bankrupt enough to have published (in the past) an Ensign article by the title of "Tithing - a commandment upon the destitute" you know it has no moral compass whatsoever.

It just wants the cash.

And it doesn't care who it hurts to get it.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 02:12AM

"We wont get fooled again...No, no!" The Who

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 02:30AM

This is why the high tithing paying countries of Scandinavia and the rest of Europe have stable and growing economies. It's because the cult has thrived there and the members faithfully pay their tithing.

It all makes perfect sense.

Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 03:35AM

Then if your Tithing did not bring you out of poverty they would say it's not about material things but it's more about spiritual things or they would also say you are not doing it in a Lord's way? ... Damn that old fart Nelson.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 06:29AM

This is the same church that once said that American Indian children were turning white because they were pleasing God with their faith and works. The same church that said the Book of Mormon was written for American Indians so their curse could be removed. Now the so-called prophet and apostles won't even say that American Indians are the Book of Mormon Lamanites. They have been closing meeting houses on reservations and ignoring the poverty of America's indigenous peoples. It takes some special kind of Mormon asshole to go to Africa and tell the folks there that if they give money to Salt Lake they will rise out of poverty.

Date: April 20, 2018 12:19PM

A temple is being built in Nairobi, Kenya.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:47PM

It does for him. As long as these people keep paying their tithing he never has to worry about living in poverty.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:10PM

Paying tithes takes away the fun money and the invest money from Mormon families.
Worse yet, if they fall on hard times the Mormon church won't help them.

Stupid move to hand over $ to Mormonism - unless you are quite wealthy and need the deductions above $24.000.00 starting this year.

Regular Mormon families will go into the red under the new tax regulations.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 09:58PM

Are saying that normal Mormons have over $24k in deductions?

How do you figure them normal Mormons will go into the red under the new tax regulations? You must have somebody do your taxes returns and they don't explain anything.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:48PM

a married couple filing jointly gets a $24,000 standard deduction automatically whether or not they make donations to a fake church. Thusly one incentive to tithe (increasing your tax deductions) goes away unless you make so much that your itemizations, including charitable donations, State & Local Taxes (capped at $10k), etc add up to a number over $24k.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 11:39AM

Exactly.
Paying tithes will actually cost regular Mormons money.

Apparently, some Mormons haven't figured it out yet.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 10:01PM

Much of our western wealth was made by exploiting Africa. Much of it still is. Nelson shows deep ignorance by suggesting that wealth comes from paying hard earned money to preachers. This was never so.

Date: April 23, 2018 03:44AM

I don't believe that any significant part of our wealth here in the US was made by exploiting Africa. Exploitation happens in various ways around the world because it is impossible to force everything to be fair all the time everywhere. But the fact that our country is rich and their countries are poor does not make anyone guilty of exploitation. Mormonism is evil. Capitalism is good. If the warlords and dictators in Africa were better people, Africa would have more wealth.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 10:58AM

“Don’t forget to turn over 10% of your blood diamonds to the church, kids”

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 11:43PM

I understand that the Chinese, Russians and the USA are all over each other in Africa jocking for the gas and mineral resources, especially the uranium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 11:44PM by tumwater.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:55PM

cobalt, nickle, manganese, etc, needed to make modern high-capacity batteries???

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 02:51AM

Will they be allowed to pay in kind? Or do they not allow that anymore.

Date: April 23, 2018 03:59AM

Maybe the morg will accept blood diamonds as payment. Africa has lots of those and the morg probably wouldn't care where the diamonds come from as long as they get paid.

Posted by: Bradfree ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 04:38AM

How’s that working out in the United States Nelson? Isn’t this country supposed to be the bullwork of all richeousness? What’s with all the homeless, poor, starving people in this country including SLC. This guy doesn’t know dick!

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 04:49AM

I don't like prosperity gospel, it preys on the poor. But, just as an example wouldn't a poor family both paying tithing AND accepting church assistance, ( I mean if they are truly in poverty) come out ahead?

Date: April 22, 2018 05:50AM

The church's welfare system isn't remotely anything like welfare or pulling the impoverished up the economic ladder.

It doesn't provide housing or homeless shelters. No health care. As for food, is limited there also as to what and how much it assists with. It's US assistance used to be only for short term emergency assistance, not a long term supplemental system.

Even that kind of help has dwindled to non-existent for US tithe payers. I can't imagine it taking up the call to providing long term financial relief to the poorest converts in Third World countries. It wants their 10% to prop up its good old boys back in SLC as it loses its population of tithe donors stateside because of dwindling numbers of US tithing members. And to justify its building temples around the globe as real estate holdings.

The poorest are typically illiterate in the African countries. The church is preying ON them because of their gullibility and naivete. Not praying for them.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 11:39AM

Okay, understood.

I guess if they are scraping the bottom of the barrel that hard, it doesn't bode well for them.

Date: April 22, 2018 11:10PM

that hire based on loyalty to Mormonism or who choose which people they do business with based on such loyalty. Which is why, I imagine, a lot of people in the Morridor might be hanging on to Mormonism even after learning it is all a lie. Not sure if there is any thing at all like that going on in Kenya -- not everyone in Kenya is dirt poor.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 05:36PM

YOU PEOPLE are POOR

Because YOU DON'T GIVE ENOUGH

To THE LDSC - Lazy Damned Saint Cult! It's EVIL. A SIN. To do that. That's why you're poor.

You DON'T HAVE ENOUGH, because you don't GIVE (U.S.) ENOUGH.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 06:41PM

We've seen this movie before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 06:41PM by anybody.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 30, 2018 08:25PM

I've seen that movie too !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eqps2O7s8

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 08:49PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 09:05PM

They can't beat it out of them so he's trying to meet - and browbeat - it out of them.

M@t

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 09:33PM

My aunt had 7 kids and always paid her tithing. They were so poor. My mother married a non member and we did not pay tithing and financially hands down we were doing much better than them.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 11:18PM

Amyjo, of all the threads regarding Nelson in Africa, yours here slammed me the most of how the monstrosity is headed up by a monster.

You said, "'Because that is the Lord's way,'" he assures the poor, meek, and mild who traveled by dusty busloads to come listen to him speak."

That took me aback. How dare he try to exploit them?

And, we managed to get free of it! I had visions of the woman who escaped Jim Jones. In another time that could have been us. Thank G-d we aren't like the early apostates who were hunted down and killed.

Very enlightening topic, and well-said, Amyjo!

Date: April 23, 2018 11:06AM

Thanks Kathleen.

We have come a long ways, haven't we?

You just know something is wrong when you read it in print. We have distanced ourselves from the cognitive dissonance that once held us bound in tethers to the same liars.

I trust in God. Not in the self-anointed profits of doom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 07:48PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Health Nut ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 02:30AM

And, to all of you who are sick--get up out of your bed and walk a mile every day!

Why, because studies show that people who walk a mile or more every day are healthier than people who do not!

Studies show that the more tithing a Mormon pays, the wealthier he is.

Obviously, the Mormon leaders don't understand percentages.

They also like to put the cart before the horse. Another example is, "You gain a testimony by the bearing of it."

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 05:03AM

Completely irresponsible teaching.

And we know it.

Date: April 23, 2018 11:27AM

If Nelson was really taking up the call to promote Christian teachings in Africa, he wouldn't be asking for 10% of the impoverished. He'd be giving all he had to the poor.

The Rich Man
17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’[a]”

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard[b] to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!” (Mark 10: 17-25)

Could the GA give away all their wealth to the poor? With their CEO salaries, perks, stock portfolios, etc., it isn't going to happen. How to know? Base it on their record. TSCC is all about acquiring wealth. Not distributing it to the poor or neediest of its members.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 24, 2018 11:53AM

Just when I thought I couldn't get more disgusted with TSCC leadership. Immediately to my mind came the words: "Ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.