Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lollygagger ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 02:49PM

Withdrew my name. Membership number is gone from ward lds.org site but my name is still there above my wife. Will they remove it if I ask?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 03:02PM

You name still has a "membership number" associated with it. However, the number is in a special block that if someone requests it by number it's flagged as "don't contact, or not a member"

It will be on your wife's record because they know you are married to her and it's "genealogical" not membership related.

Posted by: Still Anon Lurker ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 03:28PM

I faced this issue in 2014. The Bishop had no clue about such things and didn't see it as a big deal.

It was a big deal to me so I sent the following email to msr-confrec@ldschurch.org, an address I found online at the time:

"Dear Church Records,

I have received confirmation of my resignation. My spouse remains a member of the church.

The Bishop (redacted) says that though all of my ordinances have been removed from the records that my name will remain listed in the records and in the directory because I am married to a member of the church.

My name does indeed remain listed online.

Is this really the position of the church?

I respectfully followed the established guidelines of the church and requested resignation and permanent name removal. I understand that I have a legal right these actions. I have received written confirmation that these actions have been completed. But as far as name removal is concerned it seems that the only action taken has been to deny me access to my personal information on the records.

Could you please clarify the church’s standard operating procedure in such cases? And could you please let me know what can be done to truly remove my name permanently from the records of the church?

Your help in this matter would be appreciated,"

I signed off with my name and membership number.

It took a couple of goes because of technical glitches, but they did remove me from the directory. The person communicating with me was polite and helpful and made sure the issue was resolved.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: lollygagger ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 05:08PM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 04:48PM

Thank you so much for your post, loggygagger, and for your good advice, Still Anon Lurker!

I am going to do this. TSCC still has my name on the list as one of my ex-husband's THREE TEMPLE WIVES! He beat all three of us, one after the other, and all divorced him. I was his first wife, and didn't have a clue that he had beaten his sister and many neighbor kids. This was one of the many reasons I resigned from the cult--to get me far away from my ex and his lying family, and from the temple and all it stands for.

I'm glad it worked for you! I will return and report, and see if TSCC will do that for a female.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 08:33PM

As per Orwell's 1984 once they take your name and replace it with a number you are on their list forever. B I G B R O T H E R

Posted by: Still Anon Lurker ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 06:45AM

Agreed! I fully realize that my 'victory' was only getting off the online directory and not the 'permanent record'.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 07:35PM

I think sometimes we forget that a local clerk can create a local file to record a spouse child or otherwise. This is independent of the central record which we all know is moved from the ward and put into a holding file so it can be recalled at any moment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.