Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:07PM

From Bengaluru, India --

"Experts predict that India — home to 17 percent of the world’s population — will soon be the world’s most populous nation with 1.35 billion people, including some of the world’s most poor.

President Nelson said church leaders worry about members in every country.

'Our approach is to take the poverty out of the people, not the people out of the poverty,' he said. 'As we teach them that God loves them and as they keep his commandments, they will have joy in their life and they will be liberated from the bondage, not only of sin but of deprivation. The gospel of Jesus Christ has only one purpose, really. Bottom line: That is to make life better for people. That is what we are going to do.'”

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016345/in-india-the-story-of-the-india-temple-announcement-is-revealed.html

From a far more blunt eyewitness account, most likely in Asia (India or Thailand) --

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/8dvzzc/and_the_world_prosperity_gospel_tour_continues/

"Now we have been teaching people in very poor circumstances, . . .materially speaking, materially poor circumstances. And we teach them God’s law of prosperity. What is that law of prosperity? We call it tithing....So we teach tithing to the poor. So they won’t be poor anymore."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 12:10PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:10PM

Poverty stricken Indians need mormon temples to boost themselves out of poverty.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 08:10PM

Just look at how well it has worked for the American Indians!!!

Although they don't have to tithe on their gambling earnings...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:57PM

"The gospel of Jesus Christ has only one purpose, really. Bottom line: That is to make life better for people. That is what we are going to do."

Uh...I thought belief in Christ, for any Christian religion, was eternal salvation, whichever way various Christians view that...not to make your earthly life better or to get you out of poverty...

And this was a prophet....speaking as a prophet, since this is an official world tour.

Anybody else wonder if a 90+ yr old traveling the world like this guy is, may suffer from..."incidents related to age.." while on his tour..

Date: April 21, 2018 01:08PM

>>Anybody else wonder if a 90+ yr old traveling the world like this guy is, may suffer from..."incidents related to age.." while on his tour..

In the DN article linked above, his wife states that he is doing well, but even Nelson can crunch the numbers -- "President Nelson told the congregation he is looking forward to returning to India to participate in the temple’s dedication. 'I am 93 years old,' he said. 'You have better hurry.'”

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 01:56PM

Exactly. This is another example of the Mormon "gospel" being closer to the "old covenant" than the new.

Moses: Obey all my laws and you will be happy then die. No promises after that.

Jesus: Follow me and you will have eternal life after death. No promises about this life.

[This is about theology. I'm not trying to convince anyone any of it is true]

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 01:23PM

Going through high school I remember seeing some pretty deprived kids from Mormon families who were faithful tithe payers.

The combo of tithes + too many kids just does not produce financial wellness.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 01:33PM

I think Russ has been hanging out with Peter Popoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epowf0EXF5E

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 01:52PM

At least Osteen is entertaining.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 03:00PM

Nelson, Nelson how can a so-called-only-profit=on-this-earth get it wrong as to what the sole purpose of his church is?

Oh, that's right....I forgot the cardinal rule. Spin the Mormon talk, whether you are profit or not, to make your point depending on the circumstances you are in or how you feel or if the sky is blue or what-in-the-hell-ever.

Oh wouldn't it be glorious if Nelson's eyes and his brain and his MormonHeart were being influenced by these amazing cultures he was visiting and we could hear a little of that dialogue?

Nope, what he does see is something "foreign", strange and different (and most like all rather loathsome) that will be made better and glorious if they become a miniture "Mormon culture".

Vomit.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 03:30PM

> 'Our approach is to take the poverty out of the
> people, not the people out of the poverty,'

Weasel words if ever there were them.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 07:02PM

In other words: "Don't expect any charity from us."

I do think all this is a precursor to getting rid of Mormon Welfare, altogether.

Perhaps TSCC will replace the welfare program replaced by a work-for-food program, to "give the poor an equal opportunity to earn their blessings from God," by working on the building and maintaining of church properties, working on LDS-owned farms and ranches; and doing grunt-work on the grounds and parking lots of City Creek and other malls, visitors' centers, and resorts.

Date: April 21, 2018 07:38PM

You might be right about that. The church is already often requiring free labor in return for welfare help. I think you may be correct that that the church's long term strategy requires a lot in the way of free labor from its members, and that this will only intensify.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 04:59PM

RfM—

“Our approach is to take the member out of the Morg,
and to put the money back to the people.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.