Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BobaFettyWap ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 04:01PM

I could be a former Crips member and drug dealer before joining the church and “repenting,” but I could still be allowed to hold a calling where I work around kids and teens? As long as I’m currently Temple worthy or whatever? What??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 04:20PM

If you weren't sincere about repentence when you joined, Holy McGhost would rat you out to whomever prayed about calling you to serve...

That's the mormon version of a background check, until you have charge of money.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 02:16PM

Dang, it looks like I channeled my inner TBM too well and got deleted. Oh well.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 05:33PM

Only how much the prospective schmuck has donated...or intends to.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 06:10PM

Well, I did!

A wealthy real estate mogul, in our ward, who was voted one of Utah's "Most Eligible Bachelors" molested a teen-aged boy, and the boy killed himself. The man bought off the boy's family. I read the newspaper articles from the archives, myself. I was going to put him in a leadership position in the Regional Singles, but decided, um, no.... He had the calling of teaching the teens in Sunday school.
Even when they do know for sure, from newspaper reports, people who know the perps, former victims, the cult accepts these members--as long as they pay tithing!

I also would do background checks on anyone I was thinking of dating, in order to protect my children. Yikes! What an eye-opener those checks were! I did background checks for some of my friends, who didn't follow the warnings. My best friend, and my SIL both found divorce records (open for anyone to read) that one fiancee had broken his wife's arm and had thrown her off a second-story balcony, and the other had been divorced on the grounds of "extreme physical cruelty." The both married their fiancees, anyway, and both were beaten. Two divorced women with houses in the neighborhood got married out of the Mormon singles, after very brief dating-periods. One was conned into mortgaging her house, so that her new husband could start his own plumbing business. The business never got off the ground, and my neighbor ended up losing her house, and getting another divorce. My beautiful closest neighbor married a doctor, who had been a bishop. Everyone knew him, and knew that he had cheated on his wife, but my neighbor married him anyway, and the ward loved him. He had my neighbor mortgage her house, in order to add onto it, and it ended up in his name. He cheated on her, divorced her, and took her house, besides!

We had a handsome chiropractor in the ward who raped his nurses (a fact that a police officer told me). He was the EQ President. A friend in the Mormon singles married him, anyway, when he told her he was innocent of the rapes. They got married in the temple. Later, he brutalized her sexually, too, and she divorced him.

When I first moved into the ward, people wanted to set me up with the stake president, who's wife had died a few years ago. He was good looking and charismatic, but my mother said that there was something "phony" about him. I met a woman who had known him since college, and she told me that he had a shotgun wedding with his wife, and then cheated on her, for many years, as a habit. He had made advances to the woman, and also to a married friend of mine in the ward. Sometimes, background checks are easy! Everyone thought I was crazy to not go out with this man, until a neighbor walked in on him, and caught him in the act with his wife. The wife was only 22 years old, and the mother of twins. It was a huge scandal, which everyone tried to cover up, and everyone was completely SURPRISED?

Another friend in the singles wanted her husband to be excommunicated, when he ran off with another woman. This same adulterous stake president was the head of the court of love, and he let my friend's husband stay a member, and the husband and the other woman were married 5 months later--in the temple.

The Mormon cult is a good-old-boy's club, run by dominant, wealthy white males.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 09:16PM

BobaFettyWap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could be a former [religious] member and drug induced workaholic creature before joining [or as a participant of] the church and repenting, and still be "called" where I work around kids and teens? As long as I’m "Temple worthy"?

You could be a Mormon and still hold a calling. How's that for trust and discernment?

The bishop reads your palm.

The only qualifying question? Will you say yes to the unpaid position?

M@t

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 09:22AM

There was a sexual predator in my last ward (resigned membership) many Sisters spoke to the Bishop about this man,he would touch women inappropriatly,tried to touch my breast once,supposed to be showing me some martial art move,I slapped him.

Nine months after I resigned this man was charged with sex with a minor,he slept with his wife ( who was educationally challenged) and her 14 year old Niece in the same bed,disgusting individual,was imprisoned for 2 years.

There was also a nice young man who was being taught the gospel,as soon as the PH found out he was gay he was dropped like a stone,even to the point of the Bishopric standing at the Church gates when he tried to enter one Sunday,beggars belief,though I thought the young man had a very lucky escape.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 10:01AM

In our last stake some divorced doctor joined, a prized convert.
He volunteered for the nursery.

You guessed it - he had molested his own daughters.

Posted by: KatieM ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 11:31AM

I have never married but still have dreams of doing so. Makes me wonder if it's safe to do to get married. I've been in emotionally abusive relationships (yes all were LDS guys) and it makes me cringe to think I'm sure all of those went on to emotionally and physically abuse the women they eventually married. I don't have many assets but the last thing I need is some jerk coming along, sweeping me off my feet and robbing me blind on top of other abuse.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 11:32AM

One successful costly (financial and news cycle) "knew or should have known" civil case against the corporation will a quandry make.

- To run background checks puts the lie to 'inspiration;'
- To NOT run background checks risks successful litigation through willful negligence.

They're already, right now, placing themselves in legal jeopardy by "picking blind."

Won't happen in Utah of course, but perhaps MA, CA, WA such a case will succeed.

Oh the humanity.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 12:11PM

Of course they run background checks.
They check your church records to see if your background includes paying your tithing. The more you've paid, the better your calling.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 12:15PM

BobaFettyWap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could be a former Crips member and drug dealer
> before joining the church and “repenting,” but
> I could still be allowed to hold a calling where I
> work around kids and teens? As long as I’m
> currently Temple worthy or whatever? What??

I'd trust this person before I trusted a whole list of others. The list of drug dealing gang members who have turned their life around is a lot longer than a list of pedophiles or rapists who have set themselves strait.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 02:19PM

Scoutmaster is required to pass a check according to the BSA. They ran one on me when I was out in as scoutmaster for the ward.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 03:04PM

Notice it's not the church that requires the check, it's the BSA...how about that.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 03:17PM

Oh hell no... checking on a person who's going to work for free??? You're silly to think that. Hahahahhahahhaha.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 03:32PM

Doing secular background w/could negate the (claimed) discretion - discernment of LDS leaders...

WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT!!!!!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 03:37PM

I have to answer because I love that you have fetty wap in your name! Lol! I don't think it would make any difference unless you were actually convicted of something. Still many things are ignored in tscc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.