Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 02:00PM

This made me laugh. They need to explain it in a cartoon for those slow members who think "Choose The Right" means everything including politics.
http://www.ldsliving.com/LDS-Church-Explains-Political-Neutrality-with-Animation/s/68725

I think non-profit religious organizations claiming political neutrality yet lobbying and coercing members (PropH8) is such an affront to people as to make me disgusted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jthomas ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 02:10PM

Kinda like what the Rap community is doing to Kenye right now?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 02:36PM

Yes, because the rap community is a "non-profit religious organization" and claims to be "politically neutral."

Apples and oranges.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 02:25AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, because the rap community is a "non-profit
> religious organization" and claims to be
> "politically neutral."
>
> Apples and oranges.

I wouldn't even call it something as close as apples and oranges. It's more like apples and telephone poles.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 02:29PM

They think that they're so brilliant by proclaiming that they let individuals make decisions for themselves when they have meeting after meeting TELLING members how to think and act for the benefit of the morg.

"Sister Goop?

This is Sister Buster calling.

We know that Skiller Hills Junior High is going to push a sex ed class on the 6th grade students so I'm hoping that we can count on you to join our boycott by not allowing your son Messy to attend."

Sister Goop says "Um no. I already sent the parent consent form with Messy. He needs to know."

Sister Buster "Oh Dear. Do you think you can call the school to get it back? Tell them that you never saw it and you think your son, Messy, forged your signature."

Sister Goop "No. He's going to attend regardless of your boycott."

Sister Buster "Please think over what I've said. It's not wise to go against the counsel of the prophet."

Click!

And that's a real example of how the church (through it's conniving members) remains politically neutral.

Date: May 11, 2018 11:43AM

messygoop Wrote:
> And that's a real example of how the church
> (through it's conniving members) remains
> politically neutral.

Social repercussions is their modus operandi. I remember Tom Phillips mentioning how Tom's family would be adversely affected to Tom's apostasy.

Mormonism has money and social capitol. Apparently, you don't need anything else like being closer to what humans reveal is probably true.

You can grab some seer stones sunglasses and sing like MoTab at the top of your lungs all the while pressuring your kinship and friends with your religious ideals and morals. No anchor into evidentiary supported facts needed.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:57PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Mormonism has money and social capitol.

You can buy anything in this world with money.

And you can get more money using social capital :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 08:58PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 03:48PM

Of all the problems in the world, the prophet spent his valuable time to direct the parents of Skiller Hills Junior High lds students not to participate in sex education!

WOW

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 02:37PM

That's the thing, isn't it? Everything is a moral issue that impacts society. Well, not everything but just the things most Mormons care about. If only they cared more about real moral issues.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2018 02:49PM by munchybotazv2.

Date: May 10, 2018 05:59PM

LOL! They are actually immoral in their spending money on dead people instead of all those millions and millions of dollars going to help the living.

That is their dead moral high ground.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 06:58PM

Isn't this what they called California's Proposition 8 years ago, a moral issue? A sibling donated thousands in hopes it wouldn't pass.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 06:49PM

That is a good question, why is mormonism on the right? If they are neutral they should be somewhere in the middle. advocating both sides. Many large corporations are certainly "conservative" in the form of not paying a decent wage, under staffing departments, self service checkouts (Wal-mart comes to mind), But yet Wal-Mart supports leftist causes such as paying for adoption services, increasing maternity leave to 10 paid weeks, and 8 for fathers. Seeking to hire and promote minorities and people of different colors and sexual orientations (which is surprisingly very rare in this world).

But mormondom doesn't want to promote diversity, or women in management, and are against the Left...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 07:36PM

Advocating CTR—Choose Trojan Rubbers—is most certainly a pressing issue confronting society. I am glad, personally, that the church took such a moral stance.

Date: May 11, 2018 11:47AM

They don't support birth control Boner.

"This blessing should not be postponed for selfish reasons."
https://www.lds.org/topics/birth-control?lang=eng

They've added a bunch of parent's health and ability to care for kids verbiage but the message is the same - don't postpone because you are a drone.

Posted by: JoeSmith ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 08:31PM

I thought everyone knew CTR really means "Choose the Republican"?

Date: May 14, 2018 10:55AM

IKFR?

You can't claim political neutrality if your religion aligns with a political party unless you are lying.

Romney at times has had politics less Republican than LDS Corp. What does that say about their neutrality?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:51PM

Date: May 15, 2018 12:21AM

it was a thing when I was in Primary, in the 1960s. There was a class called CTR Pilots, 6- or 7-year-olds if I remember correctly. So 1966-68 for me. My brother tells me I had a CTR ring. I don't remember and am doubtful that he does, because he would've been three or four ... unless it was later on. But I don't remember CTR being associated with more than that one Primary class and the song.

Date: May 15, 2018 11:14AM

Date: May 15, 2018 11:32AM

Date: May 15, 2018 11:43AM

Date: May 15, 2018 11:58AM

I appreciate the opportunity to check my memory. According to Wikipedia, the CTR Pilots were 7- and 8-year-olds, so I was a year off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_(LDS_Church) - Link is funky; click on "Did you mean Primary (LDS Church)?" and it will go there

I remember, too, when Top Pilots became CTR Pilots. If I had a ring, it must have been after 1970. I doubt I would've wanted to wear it, though, because displaying church stuff outside of church wasn't cool ... or at least I didn't think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 12:16PM by munchybotazv2.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 03:45AM

Date: May 16, 2018 12:12PM

Get some real gold to go with your belief in angel reclaimed golden plates.

https://ldsbookstore.com/classic-ctr-ring-14kt-gold

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.