Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Boyd K Packer ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 03:57AM

The Catholic Church always adds a devoted follower to its role and the local priest is always happy when a person leaves the Mormon church or any other cult.A Catholic priest is always sympathetic to a person leaving the Mormon church and always becomes the beneficiary of money donated by an exmormon. It is like returning to orthodox Christianity or the original Christian church.

Why is becoming a devoted Catholic always the solution for ex Mormons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 05:35AM

I am not convinced that it does.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 01:07PM

Me either. I.dont think the Catholic church cares and they dont really actively seek converts.If you are interested, you go to them.There are some ex Mo converts.but probably no more than in other churches.A lot of ex.Mos dont join any church

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 01:11PM by bona dea.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 07:25AM

What makes you think any of what you wrote is reality?
I would say most exmos are either agnostic or atheist, not Catholic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 07:45AM by angela.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:19AM

I know quite a few ex Mormons; not a single one of them is catholic.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:33AM

I would say that most exmos do not turn to Catholicism in the U.S. Many abandon religion altogether, or retain a sense of spirituality without religious affiliation. Those who find another church go to virtually every church under the sun -- Catholic, Protestant, independent, UU, etc. Some join Judaism, Buddhism, or another faith.

It may be another story in countries where Catholicism is by far the dominant faith.

Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 09:50AM

I officially left the Mormon church and the concept of PTSD looms heavily in my mind when I think of someone else telling me: who
To love, who to hate, what not to wear, what to wear, what not to
Eat or drink, where to go to church, when to go to church, who to pay, how to spend my time, how many piercings in my ears, what to wear to church, obey church leaders first,last,and always.
Who to have for friends, what color my hair should be.(I colored my hair red and was told it was inappropriate). Of
Course it was....what was I thinking? How many children to have,
Who to date, who to marry, what to wear to bed, rules for
Physical intimacy, secrets I musn’t Tell, missionary work,
Temple work, family history work, invite home teachers in and visiting teachers. That’s four people who can report on my
Stubborn behavior and that I was right in the middle of an “R”
Rated movie when they came in.

LOL did I forget anything?

Date: May 13, 2018 11:58AM

I used to think that exmos were simply burned out on religion (having come from a high-demand religion,) but PTSD is a good descriptor. All of the micromanagement of the Mormon church qualifies as abuse. As human beings, we instinctively know abuse when we experience it, even if we don't consciously acknowledge it at the time. But the effect is cumulative, and damaging.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 09:30PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to think that exmos were simply burned out
> on religion (having come from a high-demand
> religion,) but PTSD is a good descriptor. All of
> the micromanagement of the Mormon church qualifies
> as abuse. As human beings, we instinctively know
> abuse when we experience it, even if we don't
> consciously acknowledge it at the time. But the
> effect is cumulative, and damaging.

Yes it is.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 09:32PM

Someone told me the catholics were a cult but i have no idea if that is true.

Date: May 14, 2018 06:56PM

Having been raised Catholic, I would not call it such. Catholicism allows for a range of activity. I never met anyone who harassed me or put me down for leaving the church.

The one thing that ex-Catholics have to deal with his excessive guilt over "sin." This can last for years.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:09PM

cult (noun)

1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.

1.1 A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.

By definition #1 (the most common usage), all religions are cults. By definition 1.1, not all are.

Pick yer poison :)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cult

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 11:13AM

Total 'nonsense'!!!!!!!!

I think the 'Catholic' leaders resemble 'clowns' with the garb and hats they wear!!!!!

Of the 5 exmos I know ----- 0, zero, etc. are Catholics.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:28PM

Right! When at mass, visualize clown shoes.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:40PM

But they’re not the same. Mormon high demand thought control is designed to vacuum your wallet and suppress independent value systems. Catholicism provides all the same benefits of “spiritual practices” and rituals without the high cost. If someone goes and they’re “feeling it”, they should keep going.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 11:22AM

The lure of the confessional is strong, but no one I know personally has fallen prey ... But if The Boner admitted to visiting occasionally, I think I'd be okay with it.

Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 11:47AM

Oh dear, elderolddog, I forgot about the confessional and all those “Hail Mary’s”. It is reminiscent of writing on the blackboard a hundred times. Very repetitive and boring. You might want to rethink that one. LOL

It is nice for once in my life to have no affiliation to anyone
Besides my family and my dogs who love and accept me
“As is”

Date: May 13, 2018 11:56AM

As a Catholic, I never had anything interesting to confess. I still don't. I'm not blameless, but I don't sweat the small stuff -- and most "sin" is small stuff. I don't think God does either.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 11:47AM

For those few, I hope it works for them. I think the Catholic Church is far less detrimental than the mormons. Catholics don't go door to door telling others they are wrong. The Catholics I know mind their own business and never try to drag unwilling victims into their church.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 05:29PM

Catholics don’t have to drag unwilling victims anymore. They did that dirty work centuries ago.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:18AM

What an ugly history it is.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:33PM

Catholics don't care about you underwear. And their cathedrals are open to all. Their Eucharist takes the place of the restricted "Holy Temple".

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:41PM

But one doesn't go thru an interview to partake. It's the honor system.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 09:09PM

It's a good thing you're dead, Boyd, because you aren't making a lick of sense. Not that you were any prize when you were alive.

Posted by: Boyd K Packer ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 10:48PM

I have converted to Catholicism in the spirit world and I met a lovely dead priest who made an indelible impression on me.

Posted by: Gramma Grammar ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:21AM

I joined the church at 15 yrs. My mother gave her permission...she didn't know it was a cult. As with a lot of exmos I have left religion behind. One day I had a picture pop into my mind of the universe (it could have been a multi-verse) and I didn't see God or god or anything spiritual. I saw nature and unknowableness.

Posted by: StillBurned_Not Logged In ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:50AM

Maybe that's what you've encountered, but most evidence I've seen doesn't show most ex-Mos becoming Catholics.

Posted by: tapir47 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:57AM

It sure would be nice if the anti-Catholics here really knew what they are talking about.

Date: May 14, 2018 06:59PM

Well, I was raised Catholic. If someone makes a factual error about Catholicism, I will correct it, but people are entitled to have a point of view about the Catholic church.

IMO most Catholics tolerate criticism about their church rather well.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:55AM

Boyd K Packer Wrote:
> Why is becoming a devoted Catholic always the
> solution for ex Mormons?

It wasn't for me...

Note for "tapir47:" criticism of the Catholic church does not make one "anti-Catholic," just like criticism of the mormon church does not make one "anti-mormon." It's just honesty.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:01PM

I have a confession....I left the LDS church last year and became a Catholic.

Now, I didn't plan on joining ANY church. However, it was simple (I didn't have to take classes, etc.) and it was an easy process. The purpose was to be able to get married in a beautiful church in another country and it made my wife happy.

She knows that I really don't believe in any of it. But it's easy to be Catholic because they don't demand much from you. We go maybe once a month, for an hour, and that's it.

My neighbors are Catholic priests and cool guys. One saw me working outside when he arrived home from mass and said, "Hey, have a beer with me--I'll go get a couple and be right back." We didn't talk church or god, just chatted for about 15 minutes and it was a nice break from work.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:03PM

The original post makes no sense. I know of only a few ex-Mormons who became Catholic. It is the minority of ex-Mormons from my experience.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 07:27PM

Agreed. If you look at the capsule biographies of ex-Mormons over at Cricket's site,

http://www.salamandersociety.com

you will find out that only two of the 400 or so people who signed said that they had become roman Catholics. In fact, judging by the mini-biographies on that site, I would say that a lot more ex-Mormons have become evangelical Christians than have become Catholics. (For the record, I haven't read all of the biographies on this site, but I suspect that if I did, I would see similar results with the vast majority leaving religion behind altogether).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:07PM

I just love these out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire threads.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 05:21PM

The Catholic Church is a fairly simple place to practice your faith if you are a Christian as long as you don't go Opus Dei or some other lay organization which thinks whipping yourself is the way to practice penance. Basically, the priests don't bother you unless you ask for it. A lot of parishes are so large that you pretty much can get lost in the crowd. Throw a few dollars in the plate every Sunday if you feel like you need to do so.

Posted by: wheredoigonow ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:18PM

I have not left Mormonism yet. I am working on a number of issues. Nobody to talk with. I know too much about other churches to want to join. May I'll quit and start a one man church.How did the guy join the Catholic church without doing anything? The web sites say that you have to take lessons. The Holy Office was renamed in the 60s but it still exists.

Date: May 15, 2018 08:22PM

What is "I am working on a number of issues" code for? Are you hoping that the church will work with you on these issues, will meet you half, or part way?

The other interpretation I can come up with is, there are issues you can't quite stomach, but are hoping to be able to so some time in the future.

Date: May 15, 2018 10:08PM

Tx rancher. From a fellow Texan; howdy. I thought that the requirements would be the same everywhere. Thanks

Date: May 15, 2018 09:10PM

Did it in Mexico. The priest gave me a couple pamphlets, said read them, and come back in a couple months for my test. It was a ten minute conversation and apparently I passed. And in Spanish, too.

Things are different in Mexico, my friend.

Date: May 17, 2018 11:58PM

I did, however, have to go to a half-day seminar/discussion about marriage before I could be married in the Catholic church. In Mexico. That or an hour a week for four or five days. I bit the bullet and did one day.

Date: May 15, 2018 09:21PM

It is code for I have recently found some issues that I am working on and have not yet decided what to do. Did you decide immediately what to do? In other words it is code for exactly what I said.

Date: May 15, 2018 09:31PM

I did decide, in one fell swoop, walking out of the temple after my first time. I was 20 years old and leaving for the SLC mission home four days later.

Good times! I'm sure I was not the only mormon-atheist to serve an 'honorable' mission. It says so on my release!

Date: May 15, 2018 10:05PM

elderoldfog
Your answer confuses me. The first part sounds like you wslked away when you left the temple. Yet, you served a mission. That does not sound like right away to this okd man, so please elucidate. I am ignorant help thou my ignorance.

Date: May 15, 2018 10:33PM

I love the OldFog!

I 'converted' at age 8, when we moved next door to Bishop Davis, of the old Las Vegas 2nd Ward. The people in that ward were totally salt of the earth. They were totally total believers and I believed in them. I never questioned. And back in the late 50s and 60s mormonism had ALL the answers! ALL of THEM!! So if you did question, someone had the answer! Those were heady days!

So I grew up in the church, the only (spoiled) child of two middle class Lamanites (of the Mexican variety), and had a simply marvelous coming of age, including graduating from Rancho High a virgin! My senior year was the longest continual stretch of 'good times' I've ever had.

My four years in Seminary were fun and I excelled in the mysteries. And then I was talked into a mission. I'd wanted to get married/get laid, but got talked into proving my righteousness, so as to lay to rest any doubts that I was worthy of the blonde daughter of the Stake Patriarch.

I asked for Scotland, but got Mexico. Hard to believe, huh? So then I had a very endearing and spiritual farewell. It was the only time my dad entered a mormon church. It didn't impress him...

And on May 28, 1965 Bishop Worthen and his wife took me through the St. George Temple. Me, who knew all the mysteries, who knew with exceeding specificity where I came from, why I was here, and where I was going, was dumbfounded!! It, the endowment session, was OBVIOUSLY a made up, hokier than heck, amateurish attempt to impress people of very lightweight intellect. Seriously, the secret club we made up in 4th grade was better! (In later years, hearing the phrase, "I always learn something new when I go to the temple" would make me roll my eyes.)

So walking out of the temple, I looked up at the man/angel whose name I now secretly, and realized that mormonism was just as made up as I'd considered all the other religions.

As for going on the mission, going to the Y, getting married in the temple and hanging out in mormonism for a few years, that was just me being a tribal mormon. I was raised mormon and I'll always have some of the 'tribe' in me. Even got to be an EQP in a real ward while at the Y! More proof, as if any were needed, regarding 'discernment'!

Mormonism has zero connection with a deity, and the temple ceremony was my first proof. If you want a deity, study The Bell Shaped Curve and keep your fingers crossed.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 09:25PM

I suppose the Catholic church has a little something for every kind of ex-Mormon. If you just want a place to go when you feel like a little good old fashioned church-going, but don't want to be committed to endless meetings and assignments and paying 10% of your income, the Catholic church is a great option. On the other hand, if you want to hang out with fanatics who can't keep their noses out of total strangers' lives, well, there are the church ladies that you can hang out with too. And if you're reminiscing about the good old days when church was all about denying history and turning a blind eye to massive sex scandals, they've got that covered as well. It ain't called the universal church for nothing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 09:26PM by zarahemlatowndrunk.

Date: May 15, 2018 11:21PM

Another confession....I don't crave anything Christian. I ignore the sermon when I go to church, intentionally blocking it out. I go because it's a social event with my wife. And even then it's once a month.

I will never go to confession. I will never take the sacrament. And if I do the latter, which I can't do if I don't confess, then I'll enjoy a sip of wine and that's it.

I'm atheist. Yes, baptized Catholic last year but a non-believer in anything. I don't expound on this to my wife, I just stay silent and make it like a trip to the store...uneventful. But I support her and it isn't an ordeal like supporting a LDS woman who believes.

She's a hot Mexican woman and it's a small price to pay, lol.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:44AM

There is a nice symmetry between the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church. For those who leave either church and still want to belong to the "one true Church," it makes sense for ex-Mormons to become Catholics and for ex-Catholics to become Mormons.

Date: May 17, 2018 08:47AM

Could you expand on your views regarding symmetry existing between mormonism and Catholicism?

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:58AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Could you expand on your views regarding symmetry
> existing between mormonism and Catholicism?

All I mean is that both churches claim to the one true Church, the only Church with spiritual authority, the only Church whose sacraments and ordinances are valid and have power, etc.

So for a Mormon who wants to leave Mormonism and still feels there is a "one true Church" out there he or she would like to be part of, it would be natural for him or her to become a Catholic. Same for someone leaving Catholicism who wants to find the true "one true Church." It would be natural for that person to become a Mormon.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:55AM

commongentile Wrote:

> All I mean is that both churches claim to the one
> true Church, the only Church with spiritual
> authority, the only Church whose sacraments and
> ordinances are valid and have power, etc.

Very true.

And both churches actively hide abusers which is great for those who enjoy participating, even superficially, in corruption.

'Oh, I'm not that!' says the casual Catholic. Uh huh.

Although, LDS could learn a thing or two about how to successfully hide an abuser/scandal. At least for decades. It helps that nuns and priests killed victims and buried them but even if they only sexually and physically assaulted them, church authorities are not allowed to marry so it's easier to just relocate one person. Not much explanation needed.

Date: May 17, 2018 02:48PM

Thanks! I was laying in wait, wondering if you were going to say the creeds were alike, to which I was going to issue a strident, "Nuh'uh!!"

Date: May 17, 2018 10:09AM

There are so many similarities between these two religions, it could be a college course. Or seminary!

I guess for those who truly haven't had enough of these teachings in Mormonism, they can go Catholic? Could just stay LDS and keep a lot more people happy with you, though...

It should be obvious that simply because one is mentally checked out during a service does not negate the doctrines and actions of The Church.

Some examples:

https://www.archkck.org/file/schools_doc_file/curriculum/religion/religion-updated-8/3/15/Fifty_Truths_Every_Catholic_Teen_Should_Know_snack.pdf

"Is everything in the Bible true?

Scripture is inspired, meaning that God guided the human authors, who wrote only what God intended. Scripture is also inerrant, meaning that it teaches the truth, and not falsehood, taking into account the human author’s intention and
human limitations, as well as the literary genres of the time.
References:
Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Compendium: 18-19
CCC: nos. 105-14
YouCat: 14-16
Vatican II (1962-65): “The books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching
solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred
writings for the sake of salvation.” (Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation Dei Verbum)

What is so special about Sunday?

Sunday is the day of the week on which Jesus rose from the dead. Catholics set aside the Lord’s Day for rest from their labors and above all for the celebration of the Eucharist. This fulfills the commandment to keep holy the Sabbath day.
References:
Scripture: Psalm 118:24; Matthew 28:1
Compendium: 452-54
CCC: nos. 2174, 2192-95
YouCat: 364-66
St. Justin Martyr (2nd century): “We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first
day [after the Jewish Sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter
from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.

Why do we accept as true what the Church teaches in matters of faith and morals?

We accept Church teaching as true because the Church speaks with the authority of Christ Himself. Christ identifies with His Church and commissioned the Church to bring His teaching to all the world.
References:
Scripture: Matthew 28:19-20; Luke 10:16; Acts 9:4; Ephesians 5:21-32
Compendium: 16, 430
CCC: nos. 2032-37
YouCat: 13, 24, 343-44
Act of Faith: “. . . I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church
teaches because you [God] have revealed them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived.

What is the vocation of every Christian?

All baptized Christians are called by God to become like Jesus and, according to their state of life, to participate in the building up of the Church.
References:
Scripture: John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 9:16
Compendium: 188
CCC: nos. 826-28, 900
YouCat: 138

What is purgatory?

Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship, assured of their eternal
salvation, but who still need purification to enter into the happiness of heaven.
We can help the souls in purgatory by offering prayers and sacrifices for them.
References:
Scripture: 2 Maccabees 12:46; Matthew 12:32; 1 Corinthians 3:15; Compendium: 210-11
CCC: nos. 1030-32
YouCat: 159-60

Who is the Pope?

The Pope is the successor of St. Peter, the head of the Apostles, to whom Christ entrusted the keys to the kingdom. He is the Bishop of Rome and the pastor of the entire Church as Christ’s chosen representative on earth.
References:
Scripture: Matthew 16:13-19
Compendium: 182
CCC: nos. 862, 880

What is religious life?

Religious life, also known as consecrated life, is a way of life approved by the Church in which one seeks to follow Christ as perfectly as possible. Consecrated life usually entails vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience after a period of
formation and intensive prayer.
References:
Scripture: Matthew 19:21, 27-29; 1 Corinthians 7:32-35
Compendium: 192-93
CCC: nos. 914-33, 944-45

Date: May 17, 2018 10:10AM

And if anyone thought the Bishop interview was rough, there are the 99 Questions for your conscience before the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/99-questions-to-complete-your-examination-of-conscience/

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:18AM

The Catholic church is not Biblical literalist. They believe much of the Bible is allegorical.I attended some religion classes with a friend and the priest made that very clear. Adam, Eve, Noah etc did not exist .. The New Testament was written after the fact by people who never knew Jesus and the gospels differ. The church openly teaches this.
The pope is only considered to be speaking for God when he invokes Papal Infallibility. This has happened exactly twice in the history of the church. Even then, many Catholics take it with a grain of salt.
The similarities are more compelling on paper than in practice and are rather superficial

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 12:36AM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.