Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 04:39AM

I have to agree with this. It wasn't just religion that felt off it was much bigger than that. Always preparing for the next step in life without even knowing why or what the end goal was. Kindergarten-12th grade, college, workforce to make paper money, buy a property and things that bring short pleasures. Watch screen devices that give you a false reality throughout your life. Even if you became president nothing would really change as far as how you feel. I don't know that guy makes sense to me. Everything that i was forced to learn in life never made sense to me. Does anyone feel like they are truly out of all illusions? Like you are not part of the forced mold of 9-5 then watch TV everyday? Is anyone mentally free? Like for real? You live the way that you want not the way society wants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 05:44AM

After many years, I've come to the conclusion that you have to know yourself and be honest with yourself. As people, we are not identical to one another. Some people are suited to being entrepreneurs, some aren't. Some people are suited to living off of the grid, some aren't. And so on. That doesn't mean that there isn't some wiggle room in there, but you have to know your own inner nature.

There was a point in my life when being poor didn't bother me very much. I had a nice rental, agreeable people to live with, and hobbies and interests. I lived in Colorado, where just walking out the door is pleasurable. But that lifestyle got old after a few years. I faced a rotating group of roommates and escalating rents. My friends who were building their careers were living on their own or with their boyfriends/girlfriends, buying cars, taking nice vacations, and so on. They seemed to be leaving me behind. After a while, I moved and started to build my own (first) career. I was not very good at it in the beginning, but I learned a lot and grew over time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've been poor and I've had a reasonable prosperity. The reasonable prosperity is better because I don't have to worry about paying bills, I have my own nice place, and other amenities.

You mention Alan Watts. He was a prolific writer who earned a good living from his work. He supported seven children. He owned a houseboat and a cabin. His family still earns income off of his books. "Society" seemed to work quite nicely for him.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 06:09AM

Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:05AM

Those who esteem happiness as the golden ring are most miserable and have lived lives of above-average inefficiency. They become unpaid, full-time actors. They die empty, but with many worthless friends.

Craving beauty and skimming the cream off society's finest intellects is what floats the pontoon of most free souls I know.

And I only know seven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW3xIN60QY

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:37PM

"Society" is a collection of individuals.
Alan Watts is a hoax.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.