Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:00AM

I wonder if the second coming believe is near flat lined for the old geezer 50+ year dedicated member now living into 2018 in some rest home in UT? Are they ready call the second coming jesus visitation complete bullshit.?

What about the youthful 20yr+ year olds still thinking the second coming is a reality for them? Is it taught or highlighted more than once a year during doctrine Sunday school?

Growing up Mormon all through the 70s, 80s and onward the second coming was always a welcomed topic and pretty much a "for sure" thing to happen by at least 2000 - 2015 era. As many generations were called the chosen generation. The ones held back for the last end times, the very worthy pics that Heavenly Father decided to hold back for the last struggle and battle against satan. The Wars kept coming, the conflicts in the middle east... for sure Jesus would need to come down and reign supreme.

I have a very old in-law, mormon to the core, and I begin to wonder if even he has his doubts but is to prideful to admit he might of had this whole mormon thing wrong. For it is his duty and obligation to live a mormon lifestyle life to the end. Surely, has noticed many changes throughout his church upbringing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:01AM

Think all the preaching about end of the world shit was seen as cutting into the bottom line of the cult and ya can't be messin' with that holy bottom line!

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 11:49AM

Even when I was growing up, the adults talked about how the 2nd coming was supposed to be in JS's lifetime. Of course the excuse was that he was murdered so that threw a monkey wrench in that prediction.

They also knew that their parents had been told that the 2nd coming would be in their lifetime, but they always had a ready excuse, like we weren't obedient enough or we hadn't offered the gospel to enough people.

So of course when I was growing up, I was told it would come in my lifetime, despite all the failed "revelations" on the subject in the past.

I'm also interested to know whether that is still being taught to youngsters.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:16PM

Heard it said many times,was told myself that I was of the chosen generation who would see the second coming,that only Mormon women would bear babies,ridiculous,I still believe but don't practice any religion,maybe there's time yet as I am only 62,as scripture say he will come like a thief in the night,no-one knows,however to keep up the pretence of having a profit they have to come up with at least a couple of prophecies

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:23PM

Earlier this year, the last known person born in the 19th century passed away.

So much for the prophecies concerning her generation.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 12:25PM

...and everyone else. :)

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:44PM

I was a child in the 80's and the 2nd coming topic was heavily emphasized, especially in FHE where our parents said we had to pay tithing so that we wouldn't be burned during the 2nd coming. They would laugh and call it 'fire insurance'. Talk about messed up.

I too wonder if they are still promoting it as they did when I was young....

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 07:49PM

Cleon Skousen laid all this out in very clear and confident terms. Everything was fine. But then the bastard died, and the Mormons were left without their clownish helmsman. What could they do? So they quit talking about it, all claiming that it's a mystery we shouldn't speculate about.

Posted by: Angel of Jesus ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:19PM

When I was an active Mormon:

*Negroes were the children of Cain.

*God came down and begot Jesus with Mary, his daughter/wife, exactly like any mortal man begets a mortal son: no mystery about it.

*Jesus will return at the beginning of the 7th ThousandTH years of the Earth's temporal history (Adam created about 4004 b.c., so Jesus will return about 4 years before the year 2000, give or take a few years but NOT more than that).

*Brigham Young never taught the Adam-God doctrine, but was misquoted. Believing that Adam is our Heavenly father will damn the soul forever.

TODAY:

*Blacks NOT the children of Cain, NOT less valiant in the war in heaven.

*Brigham Young probably did teach Adam was God, but that was his own opinion; never Church doctrine.

*Don't speculate about the mysteries, don't put any dates on Jesus' return, just pay, pray, and obey.

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cleon Skousen laid all this out in very clear and
> confident terms. Everything was fine. But then the
> bastard died, and the Mormons were left without
> their clownish helmsman. What could they do? So
> they quit talking about it, all claiming that it's
> a mystery we shouldn't speculate about.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 09:27PM

Back in the day, Fast Sunday was sort of interesting as all the old folks would testify that their patriarchal blessing promised they would be alive for the Second Coming. All those folks are long dead and still no Second Coming. What's up with that?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 01:16AM

My wife and I watched the reality TV show Survivor religiously for tips on surviving the Second Coming.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 04:09AM

I was a teen convert in the 70's. Along with being told that we were the chosen generation that would see Christ return, I remember being taught to have a two year supply in order to survive the Last Days catastrophes, and to have plenty of ammunition on hand. It stood to reason that we had to be prepared to shoot off starving people (including children) who would come after our food storage.

I was also taught that part of our food storage would be needed to help feed the 10 Lost Tribes when they returned.

Date: May 15, 2018 06:52PM

The kind of crap we were told or believed in over the years is astounding.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 07:15PM

The head of the University of Utah Institute of Religion in the late 60s was 100% sure that among those who needed shooting were black people. It was widely "known" by all Mormons that the Blank Panthers had maps of every major city in the US indicating the location of Mormon homes. We had to be prepared...

(He was a family friend)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:12PM

Do you remember any crafty mention of storing cigarettes and liquor to use as trade goods with the heathens who survived the second coming?

I also remember being taught that after the goings-on of Armageddon, people and nations would be so busy that they would not recognize that a theocracy, with Jesus at the helm, was reigning in Jackson County, Missouri. There would be no blaring of this news on the radio..., which I suppose covers TV and the internet?

Who will be the first exmo to text Jesus to tell him to get away, quick, from the mormons!!!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 02:16AM

When I began attending the Mo-church. Then somebody would notice that I was paying attention, and it was nudge, nudge, hush, hush - there is an investigator here. And they would quit talking about the truly bizarre stuff, and focus on generic/boring material. Kind of a let-down.

Posted by: Anonymous niece ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 10:18PM

I had a fanatic uncle, who moved his entire family to Jackson County, around 1986. He lived like a polygamist, without being a polygamist, loafing at home, while his wife and 12 children worked at any odd jobs they could find. One little cousin was raped at her night job, but she didn't dare tell her parents. The children escaped the family, with the help of us relatives, and the fanatic couple moved back to Utah, for a few years, for the wife's job, and they are now living within spitting distance of the highway, between Cedar City and Mesquite. No mention of Jackson County. They probably plan to hitch-hike there, from their front yard.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 11:37AM

This was taught for years. I think the church got burned with the jig was up.

Oh and the perceived Y2K computer scare sent some members scrambling to the clerks office for their tithing receipts as "proof" that they would not succumb to a fiery death.

I spent the latter part of 1999 inactive as a member that felt betrayed by an organization that had tricked me. Yes, I was offended after a residential fire turned my life upside down and TSCC told me not to bother them. So I was angry and didn't give a damn if I was destroyed in the 2nd coming.

And JC didn't show up and the Hinkster said nothing. Then 9-11 occurred and the Hinkster said nothing.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:10PM

As a member in my 20s and semi-believing it always bothered me that the Prophets really had little to say or poor guidance. If they were truly men of God, it would seem world leaders could give a damn and didn't see anything worthwhile to consult with the prophets to improve the God chosen nation United States.

Church programs failed all the time. Offered zero or little a advice to combat daily realities or current events. The church membership lagged behind and the only thing that increased were church investments.

The show is over and too many people still didn't get the memo that the play ended long ago yet they remain in their reality seats waiting for Jesus.

Here you have a mouth piece of the lord and yet God seemed to not care about how to make things better. Surely, he could tell a prophet this and that, and relay to country leaders and the systems given as pure knowledge could be implemented.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:41PM

So by 2035, Cleon's Confabulation will have completely passed its sell-by date. We will definitely, according to him, be into the Millennial timeframe.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 03:53PM

The nice thing about the second coming is that it's versatile. Like all things fictional, it can be whatever you want it to be. You can put your own stamp on it. You can predict it and then when it doesn't happen you just say, "I guess we weren't worthy enough." Fun.

Ever since Joseph Smith said it would be, like for sure, in the lifetime of some of his followers which would have put it in the 1890's and it didn't happen, prophets have learned it is a great tool for manipulation and the gullible "saints" will buy anything you are selling. So you can re-set the date, or have no date at all except, "soon."

Of course, asking how soon is "soon" is as bad as saying it depends on what the "definition of is, is."

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 09:00PM

Up until even a very few years ago my mother's chirch area still had a "Stake Wheat Co-ordinator". The role was to get folks to stockpile drums of wheat; sold by a Church subsidiary, by the way.

I asked my mother what she would do with the wheat. She said grind it and make bread.

I asked how she would do that without electricity or gas.

An uncomfortable silence ensued.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:48PM

We used to have a hand-driven wheat grinder. Back in the 70s, my brother and I were tasked with grinding to make flour -- no gas or electricity needed.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 01:17PM

We did too. My father was handy so he made it so it could be converted, and we used it with electricity.

I guess we were going to make a fire to cook it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:04PM

My (super @$$ hole) MORmON enforcement agent male parent's patriarchal blessing informed him that he would be alive to see the return of Christ, or THE second coming of Christ. That blessing was issued in 1970 or 71. My male parent died in 2008.

My Nut case wife at the time really believed that Jesus was coming back with Y2K in 2000. I know, it sounds/seems like being affiliated with such circumstances would be really comical, However, I can say via first hand experience that it really was NOT.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 01:49PM

IIRC, one of the Big Shots, only a few years ago at GC, was talking about people seeing their grandchildren and great grandchildren, right?

So pay your tithing™

And speaking of wheat, I just found a 5 gallon metal can of wheat where the blue paint is flaking off and you can see the Civil Defense markings--I wonder how how old that wheat was when my dad bought it in the '70's along with a couple of Magic Mills to grind it. The Magic Mills are still excellent; not sure about the wheat.

Anybody else? :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.