Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: IWannaKnow ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 08:42PM

No one can be "on" all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:37PM

Which Osmond?

I can tell you a story about one.

Posted by: Mary Poppins ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:55AM

Agnes do tell.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 14, 2018 10:41PM

What was the reason for Marie's adopted son to kill himself?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 02:58PM

If you mean Olive Osmond, I remember her as a nice woman, but rather quiet. The Osmonds were in my ward in SoCal back in the early sixties. My memories are mostly prior to their first appearances on the Andy Williams Show.

She had black hair and wore it in a similar fashion to Aunt Bee. So I always thought of her as the kindly homebody type. Her demeanor also reflected that same type of character-at least to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 02:58PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: AnonLondonMiss ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 03:08PM

I knew George and Olive on my mission in London. Spent 9 months working w/ them in Hyde Park. Csuprovograd is right on her appearance (20 years later in the mid 80's)...same hair style. She and he were not extroverts by any means. Obviously a lot to be proud of. The Londoners who were Osmond fans quickly learned that they were there at the Hyde Park Visitor Center, and would flock there by the dozens on any given day. I remember they sitting at the feet of Mrs. Osmond. She wasn't the most friendly of people, but George really was. He was cool. About as down to earth, unpretentious, and nice as they come. He was like my grandpa. I loved him because he could have been so stuck up if he wanted to, but was not at all. Always a smile and hello. Not so much w/ his spouse. They were generally a very nice couple.

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 12:31AM

I did volunteer work for the Osmond Foundation in 75/76, working with Tom and Virl. The office was located in the apt building they lived in and Mother Osmond would often visit with us. She was very warm and motherly and I thought she was awesome!

Posted by: AnonLondonMiss ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:19AM

She probably was a nice lady in general around her crowd. You were in her crowd - her people. In my 19 year old opinion, at the time, she was nice to the Elders/Sisters who were from Mormon royalty, e.g. Benson, Rector, Romney, etc., and others who were more Utah perfect - but to us missionaries that were farmers, under class, nobody's, "in the mission field" (non-Utah) etc. she didn't have much to say to us. I remember her getting mad at me one day when I was having a conversation w/ another missionary in the movie room of the Hyde Park VC. I was telling him about some land that my dad was buying for his corn, and she interjected into our conversation and said something like, "this is neither the time or place for that type of discussion." There was no movie going on, no investigators, and lots of other people were chatting. Sort of rubbed me the wrong way I guess. She just wasn't friendly to us lower scale missionaries - like she was the others. George on the other hand was always friendly to everyone.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 02:25AM

I worked for ZCMI (in the shoe department, which was leased from the store so I had 2 bosses). For a period in 1990 I think, I worked in the store at the old University Mall in Orem. I actually kind of liked it and the drive wasn't all that bad, and in fact I took the bus several times.

Anyway, the Osmonds family was well represented in the whole mall, and they were big on supporting ZCMI and the shoe department.

One of them told me once that when they came, they always had to fill an order of cinammon bears for dad. They were good ones!

Mother Osmond came a lot more than he did and usually had a grandkid in tow to buy shoes for, and they were always pleasant and good customers.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:21AM

I worked in a restaurant in Ogden in the late 1980's. The Osmond parents came in about once per month. I was a manager and always checked on diners. I had no idea who they were for the first 6 months. He was always kind and chatty. She was quiet and retiring. A waitress told me one day who they were.

They were just very nice people.

A4T

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.