Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 12:03AM

I am on holiday on Flinders Island(Google it! )a tiny speck of paradise in Bass Straight between mainland Australia and Tasmania. Staying in a beautiful little eco cabin between beach and mountain. Like all holiday rentals it comes with a library which I inspect before I look at other facilities. There is a copy of David Fitzgerald’s atheist series. Prime anti Mormon material. I doubt any of the 830 residents have ever spoken to a Mormon. The owner is apparently a Philosophy/ comparative religion academic from the mainland. Holiday reading sorted!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 12:21AM

You are as far away from Utah as I can imagine anyone being. Your little island sounds like a perfect setting for philosophizing. Enjoy :) In a month, I'll be in my own book-filled paradise in the mountains, with no cell or wifi! However, I have put a moratorium on religious material. Biography, fiction, poetry, nature, photography, exploring, lake sports....

Like the typical American, I get only two weeks vacation.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 03:17PM

Is your retreat somewhere in Utah, or elsewhere? I like the idea of being off the grid, though not sure I'd last very long without wifi or cell phone.

It's easy to forget that Internet connectivity is still not everywhere, USA.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 09:14AM

Do you need me to send a book of mormon that I got from the Marriott ?

Date: May 15, 2018 07:24PM

Good idea. I’ll sit it next to the complete works of Dawkins on the owner’s shelf!

Date: May 15, 2018 07:26PM

Good idea! It will sit well amongst the complete works of Dawkins also on the shelves.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 06:20PM

Try a week in the Whitsundays. My wife and I did. Never wanted to leave.

Posted by: OzDocYJXJ ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:35AM

Magical ,I know. Have sailed,kayaked and dived the Whites ndays. It’s a beautiful world.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 03:21PM

I am sooo glad to hear this because my former mission president is from Tasmania and I hope he and his cool wife have also seen the light and gotten out of this cult

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:38AM

I spent seven months as a missionary in Tasmania way back in the 1970's. I was glad to hear that the ward I was in has now become just a branch because of falling membership. I wish I could go back in time and undo what I did in the little town of Burnie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.