Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 02:01PM

An observation I've made over the years is that Mormons want to be called 'LDS'. They don't like being called 'Mormons'. The funny thing is that most of the world doesn't know what they're talking about when someone says LDS. I remember a time in high school when a Mormon friend was asked by a non-Mormon what the heck did LDS mean? Little dick syndrome? Oh man that had me in stitches. They act almost offended if they are called Mormons....yet they have to use that word for the outside world to know who they are.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Why do they insist on being called LDS and not Mormon? Aren't they synonymous? Weren't they called Mormons in the early church years? What is this all about??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 02:11PM

They hide behind...The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS).

It sounds real? Its seems real? Mormon sounds bogus.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 04:42PM

Sort of like a con artist who is inconsistent in just what sort of person he presents himself.

I remember 1960s & 70s swarmy-sweet public service adds about family love, which would end:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ('Mormon')" Note punctuation. Then they didn't want to be called "Mormon," but "Saints" or "Latter-day Saints," saying "Mormon" was not only incorrect, but somewhat derogatory, and certainly not "Christian." Then "Mormon" became legit. Now they want to be called "Christian." I know one man who calls himself "an ecumenical Mormon Christian." Figure that one out.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 04:52PM

Maybe LSD is more appropriate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHxFNFWlZc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 04:53PM by snowball.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 05:12PM

They called themselves "Mormon" for years. But then they
thought, if we can get newspaper and media reports to use the
name "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" it will help
our image and mission. So they started making a big deal about
the terminology and had the "manual of style" amended.

Plus it makes them feel more like a persecuted minority if they
can claim that the standard term (which they embraced for over
century) is now a bigoted slur.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 05:28PM

but as an organization, they seem to have gotten with the program. My MMFBF* recently posted a video of a Seventy named Villarreal speaking in San Antonio, and I noticed he introduced himself as being with the Church of Jesus Christ [blah blah blah], also informally known as the Mormon or LDS Church.

*MMFBF = Most Mormon Facebook Friend

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 06:21PM

I think its because it "offends' them. The term "mormon" is used in films, TV, books, etc....and it's typically a dig, a slight, a sarcasm when used.

They don't like that. For years they were the "mormons" and used that name in their movies, commercials, promo's, etc.

However, now that the world has become wise to the absurdity of the "mormons" through the play and news reports, and uses that name to make fun of them, they don't like it, it offends them.

Typical mormons....offended by the way others perceive them, yet totally incapable of changing that perception because that's who they truly are. What a horrible way to live.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 07:25PM

It's that DARNED BOOK!

It's not the Book of Intelligence
The Book of Wisdom
The Book of Beautiful (people doing beautiful and true and necessary and beloved - not to mention BELIEVABLE, Verifiable and Trustable - things). NO!

Oxy Morons

M@t

Date: May 15, 2018 07:46PM

Why does the LDS-Mormon_'church' present such RADICALLY different online webs for members VS. "non" [secret] and great-foreign, unnatural, strange, unbelievable angles (of typical LDS members), images, promises, superstitious beliefs/ assumptions. between CONVERTING to Mormonism, and BEING one.

LDS 4 (can't re)member($)
Mormon for the 'public'

SUCH DUPLICITY In ALL Things

A "lost religion", if you could call it that. THAT

M@t

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 07:51PM

They really want to be called saints, but that isn't going to happen.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:44AM

Not by a long shot!

M@t

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:01PM

At one point in the 80's, the leaders tried to encourage a move away from the nickname 'Mormon' and towards it's official name, CoJCoLDS, Latter-Day Saints for short.

Prior to that, they were fine with the nickname 'Mormon'

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:43PM

Funny how often I see even big-time media outlets call them "The Church of Latter Day Saints".

It's as if they can't bring themselves to attach Jesus Christ to the Hot Mess that is TSCC.

Posted by: wheredoigonow ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 11:12PM

Like most issues in Mormonism
it dates to Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 11:20PM

They get all pissy about being called Mormon's instead of Latter Day Friggin' Saints....waaaaa.....call them a waaaamulance!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 12:27AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 11:54PM

Mormon = Polygamy

'Nuff said.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 02:22AM

All the years I was tbm we were told we should always refer to the church by it’s full name and not Mormon.
Then a couple of years after I left they brought out the “I’m a Mormon” campaign.......

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:30AM

What I remember.

I always told friends (that asked) that I attended the Mormon church. In my never-mo world, nobody would ever understand the LDS moniker. This was during the 1980s.

Now jump to the early 1990s. We were told at several stake level meetings/conferences that we needed to emphasize that we were the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. We were told to emphasize that we had a second witness of Jesus Christ, the BoM.

I strongly believe that this was Hinkster's grand plan to make the church more mainstream and LIKEABLE to other Christian Sects. I continued to encounter this "We are Christians" campaign when I served a mission in the early 1990s. We gave away hundreds of pictures of Christ, and probably 500 copies (8 boxes worth) of bibles. Yes, bibles!

Of course, we were supposed to cross the bridge and pair up all those Christian gifts with the BoM. I want to say that we taught a little over half of all the pictures and bibles placed. And we probably had about an 8-10% baptism rate. When I started my mission, the mantra was "We are Kingdom Builders and we are defenders of the truth."

During my last 6 months the mission mantra was boldly changed to "We are defenders of Mormonism." The church started back to their "We are Mormons. Look at us!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 10:32AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mormon ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 02:47PM

It changes with the weather of Church Inc. publicity.
Recently, Church Inc. adopted the "I am a Mormon" movement, and I noticed the few LDS acquaintances I still know took the opportunity to state clearly to the world that they are Mormon. I.e., social media, vocalizing it to others. Etc.

Then, I noticed like most trendy things, it was not well received and/or just lost energy and momentum. Depending on who you talk to, they will use what ever the most poignant identifier they know that is socially acceptable at the time.

Most humans like boxes and labels so they know how to respond. Members of Church Inc. are particularly responsive to this phenomenon because its all about being accepted and approved.

Slap on the right label and you are in the club.

As for me...I'm not Anti Mormon. I am a former Mormon.

When asked what I am now...I smile brightly and say "Happy".

It scrambles tiny brains. Try it sometime-sometimes you see them get a little dizzy afterward:)

RMM

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:00PM

I've heard that as well, then after I left, they came out with the "I'm a Mormon" campaign, as well as the propaganda film, "Meet the Mormons."

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:33AM

They are embarrassed that they are a cult and not even close to being christian so they try really hard to sound like an official christian church on the outside.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.