Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 02:19PM

I was sorry to hear about the death of Tom Wolfe, age 88. I've not paid much attention to him lately but read two of his famous books, Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff, both made into movies, one so-so and one good one. I remember a time in the 80's after The Right Stuff had been made into a movie, I went to Provo to visit my dad and his wife. He had a VHS machine and watched John Wayne et al, almost nothing else. I took a copy of The Right Stuff and we watched it in an afternoon. I was glad that he liked it. Maybe I should read it again.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/15/471414238/tom-wolfe-best-selling-author-and-genre-breaking-journalist-dies-at-88

I remember The Right Stuff coming up in a conversation at some church function, and can't imagine why. So many people that I knew never read anything except church stuff, and I always wondered why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 09:17PM

Probably the most remembered bit of dialog to transfer from "The Right Stuff" to daily (or maybe monthly) use was "he screwed the pooch..."

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 02:26AM

I didn't remember that about him. Maybe I need to see if my local library has a copy of it.

Posted by: Earthman ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 12:55PM

Amazing elderdogbutt actually got one right finally!

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/screw_the_pooch

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 09:08AM

What I really liked about "The Right Stuff" (both book and movie, though the dialog is better in the book) was that it made the Mercury 7 *human.*

Wolfe took them off their "American Hero" pedestal, and made them human beings. Brave, brash, arrogant, fearful, flawed...human beings. For me, it made them all the more interesting.

My favorite "Wolfeism": "Masters of the Universe."
(the term he coined for the Wall Street idiots he speared so well)

Thanks for making us think, Tom.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:21AM

I read both those books, and saw both movies. Bonfire of the Vanities was better as a book than a movie, and it was my favorite. I was never part of that counter-culture, but it was fun to read Wolfe's books.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:53AM

Haha! Yeah Tom Wolf was cool. Wearing white suites and writing handwritten letters with a real fountain pen. The Right Stuff was a good movie. I liked all the crap they did to the astronauts in the clinic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lelucLkl-l4"; frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 11:44AM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 02:05AM

I loved the book, loved the movie, and aside from when I was forced to go to school, I never missed the broadcast of a launch. I thought Ed Harris' portrayal of John Glenn was marvelous.

I remain such a "fan" of things space-related that my younger daughter bought me a tee shirt with the NASA logo on it. I cherish that!!

I remember watching one of the Mercury broadcasts when I was still at home. I was just about breathless, with all the adventure. I said, "I'd LOVE to work in the Space Program some day!" Mother, never one to miss an opportunity to point out my shortcomings, remarked, "But you have to be good at MATH and SCIENCE." Wouldn't you just know it? I got A-grades in everything else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.