Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 03:40PM

Like Pope Benedict did in 2013 ... paving the way for future popes to retire instead of waiting to die in office.

Wonder if that precedent will ever make a dent with the Mormon presidents? Nah, didn't think so either. :D

"POPE Francis could be getting ready to hang up his red shoes after it emerged that he has thought about retiring.

The Pontiff admitted that he has thought about when it will be time to “take leave” of his flock.

The comment was allegedly made during his Tuesday morning homily although the Vatican has not released the full transcript of his words.

The 81-year-old was apparently reflecting on St Paul discerning when to leave his flock in the care of others – a decision the Pontiff said all bishops must take.

He said: "When I read this, I think about myself, because I'm a bishop and I'll have to take my leave."

Pope Francis was born Jorge Mario Bergoglio in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1936.

He worked briefly as a chemical technologist and nightclub bouncer before was ordained a Catholic priest in 1969.

He became the Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 1998 and was created a cardinal in 2001 by Pope John Paul II.

When Pope Benedict XVI resigned on February 28 2013 — the first Pope ever to do so — a papal conclave elected Bergoglio as his successor on 13 March.

Pope Francis has previously said that retired Pope Benedict XVI "opened a door" to future popes by resigning."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6294007/pope-francis-retire-quitting-leaving-flock/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 04:13PM

I think it's a good trend, and it takes away some of the mystique surrounding the papacy. However Francis is the best pope the church has had in years, and I would hate to see him go.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 05:32PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Francis is the best pope the church has had in
> years, and I would hate to see him go.

Not a very high bar to get over, sadly. :(

Date: May 16, 2018 05:33AM

The Catholics really revere their popes. I'm glad you think so highly of him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:43AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> The Catholics really revere their popes. I'm glad you think so highly of him.

IMO Catholics respect the institution of the papacy, but don't always revere a given pope. My family was always rather vocal about which popes they liked or didn't like. My Catholic mother's favorite pope was John XXIII, who was rather similar in style to Francis, and she was not so crazy about Pius XII or Paul VI who were more doctrinaire. However if someone brought her back a trinket blessed by the pope, she was always glad to get it.

The first pope I remember was Paul VI, and even as a child I felt rather meh about him. I felt JPI had a lot of promise. I understood that JPII was well liked, but I never cared for him. Benedict wasn't as awful as I thought he would be.

What I like about Francis is that he understands the heart of Christianity and tends to favor it over doctrine and previous policy where he is able. He has, I think, genuine compassion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 08:45AM by summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:50AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> The Catholics really revere their popes. I'm glad
> you think so highly of him.

I don't really care what Catholics do or don't revere -- that's their thing, not mine.

This pope actively covered up sexual abuse by Catholic clergy, and promoted clergy engaged in it to high levels in the church -- then engaged in victim-shaming (one instance of which he apologized for to a few people, but not all the others).

This pope continues to essentially sentence "true believers" to death, by insisting that Catholics not use condoms when having sex, even in high-risk-for-AIDS areas.

This pope continues to promote ignorance, superstition, and "revering" of people like himself, rather than reason, rationality, and just plain common sense. He does so in order to maintain the riches and power of the institution he leads.

Screw him. He doesn't merit being revered.

Posted by: Friendofcatholic ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:22AM

Don’t sugar coat it Kolob... tell us what you think.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 04:53PM

...well, Papa Frank might be "retiring" so he can help re-establish the old Nazi/Vatican "ratlines". Then, he can quickly spirit away his pedo-buddies back to his home-base in Argentina, or any other SA safe-haven. Hey, it worked before. Plus, watch for info coming out of AU on the Cardinal Pell child sex abuse trial. Word has it that the media is being closed out of any coverage. Don't forget, this is one of Ball-Park Frank's "Heavy Hitters"........go figure. Call 1-800-Jeffrey Epstein for more info..............."Bend Over, but Take it on Faith, My Child."

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2018/05/14/court-to-consider-request-for-media-gag-order-in-cardinal-pell-trial/

Melbourne, Australia, May 14, 2018 / 04:09 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- An Australian court will determine Wednesday whether to accept a request by prosecutors for a “super injunction” against all media reporting of upcoming trials against Cardinal George Pell, prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy, on charges of historic sexual offenses.
If accepted, the proposed injunction request would do more than block the details of the trials from being made public; it would also prevent “any report of the whole or any part of these proceedings and any court documents associated with this proceeding.”

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:56AM

It is both good and bad imo..

Good because they should have that option to leave when they are ready to.

bad because a pope serving for 5yrs has little time to implement needed reforms w/the catholic church.

I told a couple of mormons at work that they should elect their new prohets, because when JPII was elected in his 50's, he gave a needed spark to the catholic church, especially with younger people

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 07:16PM

Retiring was the best thing that Ratzinger ever did as pope. I really mean that. I was absolutely no fan of his, but retiring as pope is so much better than hanging on long past you are physically or mentally up to doing the job.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:31AM

It takes a mature leader to admit that.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:40AM

Posted by: captainklutz nli ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:44PM

If Pope Frank decides to retire, maybe we'll finally get Pope George Ringo. It's time since we've had 2 John Pauls.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:30AM

Now that's funny. LOL.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:40PM

LOL! Good one!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 09:12PM

Meanwhile, in SLC, LDS leaders including Nelson are dodging related questions / implications...

Date: May 16, 2018 05:30AM

They've been playing dodge the ball for an inordinately long time. Then it becomes pass the buck.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 12:40AM

“Resign? Now? Nevermind that I’m 93 and racked by obvious bodily infirmities, it took 3 decades to get here and you’ll have to pry my cold, dead fingers off this throne.”- Russell M. Nelson

Date: May 16, 2018 05:26AM

You just described Nelson in a nutshell.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 01:27AM

Benedict was not the first pope to resign.

Joseph resigned and named Hyrum as co president just before his death.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:28AM

And they went out together. So much for that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:22AM

The roman cathoholic "church" of the child rapists should retire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 08:51AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: May 16, 2018 09:08AM

Atheist Dave can dream.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:58AM

I guess the trend in the Jesuits is you retire. The Jesuit General stepped down and was replaced also. To me the Vatican is the last remains of the roman empire. I never thought too much of it. 2000 years of corruption. Yeah I know there are many good members of the Catholic faith but it's just another man made religion. To be honest I'm doubting the religion free people are doing any better than the religious ones. All humans are corrupt.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 06:43PM

Self-interests don't usually line up to exist in harmony. There's never enough to go around of one thing or another.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:42PM

but something in your OP reminded me ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0aAGP3ty_A

Date: May 16, 2018 07:48PM

Cute.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 07:02PM

You know people in positions of life long duties, they have to realize they are going to die before they can retire.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.