Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 05:36PM

Don't know if any one here remembers this guy--he was of the era where there were getting to be so many GA's it was hard to remember them all.

A family (the dad) in my ward was related to him, 2nd cousin I think,and it seemed like whenever they had a baby blessing etc, he was there. I think the guy thought it was impressive to have a GA come to the ward.

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/latest/2018-05-12/elder-vaughn-j-featherstone-87-dies-47133

He had quite a history in the church, including Scouts and Young Men, which I guess were the same thing. Not now~!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 05:40PM

Featherstone sounds like he was Native American Indian. (That's w/o reading the obit.) A true Indian name if there ever was one.

Date: May 15, 2018 05:58PM

I just said is sounded like a Native American Indian name. That's the kind of name Indians gave their children. It would take objects from nature and combine them to make a name.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:37PM

> That's the kind of name Indians gave their
> children. It would take objects from nature
> and combine them to make a name.
>

Why would Native American Indians use English words to name their kids?

Feathersaddle?
Hawkknife?
Windfart?
Skindirt?
Bonehair?
Rockhunter?
OldDogfeces?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 02:24PM

and yes, the names were English names put together. They were pretty interesting names. There was one called Stillsmoking. That's the one I remember. I always thought it would be more interesting to have a name like this.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:46PM

Neither 'still' nor 'smoking' is a noun, although there are circumstances when 'smoking' would qualify as a gerund. Do you remember any names with items from nature, in English, put together? "Stillsmoking" for a Native American baby? It's hard to figure what his/her parents were thinking...

This is a website with 'popular' Native American baby names.

http://www.babynameguide.com/categorynativeamerican.asp?strCat=Native-American

I only looked at two of the 26 pages. There are lots of Native names that translate into two words from nature put together, but again, it makes no sense to me for Native Americans who wish to honor their ancestry to use English words.

Those who want English word names use "Irene" or "Alex", as my delicious Kumquat pointed out above.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 07:57PM

I had a Navajo friend who called his girlfriend this behind her back. I think it comes from "The Monkey Wrench Gang"

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 07:53PM

found near the town.

Northern English: habitational name from places in Staffordshire, West Yorkshire, and Northumberland, which are so called from Old English feĆ°erstan 'tetralith', a prehistoric structure consisting of three upright stones capped with a headstone

There are many standing stones through out the UK, and several had the name.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:42PM

Gee I'm gonna have to tell my Indian friends that Alex , and Irene aren't real Indian Names....

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 12:16AM

Featherstone and its variants is a very old English name.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:21AM

Well it's a given that an emeritus GA would not be a Lamanite. Heaven forbid that to happen! Young and Smith would be rolling over in their graves.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:18AM

For some reason, I thought that he died years ago.

Date: May 16, 2018 09:18AM

Deleted content.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 05:11PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 09:20AM

Two current GAs (70s both) are married into the Featherstone family (one a daughter of Vaughn, one a niece).

But, hey, mormon power structure isn't incestuous, right?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:07AM

So what really constitutes the emeritus status?

It has to be more than a man's physical well being.

-Possible faith crisis?

-Too many wayward children not toeing the Mormon line?

-Mentally ill, senility, Alzheimer's disease?

-Disagreeing with church policy?

We'll probably never know why a bunch of them in the Junior LDS Corp exit the management-in-training with the emeritus status.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:33AM

He was worshipped while I was growing up. I think he was big into the Lamanite placement program--something the church should offer an official apology for.

He had the most nauseating sing song speaking style--right up there with Monson.

Rest in pieces dude.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 11:37AM

This was many years ago. I use the term "dating" but they were very very close; they had discussed marriage. He invited her to a family event when weekend and she thought he was going to propose, instead he told her he was marrying someone else.

She was floored.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 01:00PM

Maybe he got a holy message. What a jerk.

Date: May 17, 2018 03:27AM

To think had polygamy been legal he could have married both in a double ceremony.

Posted by: Earthman ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 12:49PM

Did he explain to her why he picked the other one over her? That would have been useful, perhaps.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 02:06PM

I saw it repeated a number of times during my stint at BYU. Young men seeing multiple women, leading them all on without a clue and then finally dropping one or more. In some instances the "other" woman was someone they had just met and been dating only a short time.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 01:09PM

LOL! I thought he was dead too!

Date: May 16, 2018 01:30PM

He was quite a guy when it came to factory workers.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,451744,451804

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 04:55PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was quite a guy when it came to factory
> workers.
>
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,451744,
> 451804

You mean "the little factory"?

Hahahahhahahahaha

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:39AM

Was my mission prez, true believer & attempted to be a humanitarian at the time. But I later wondered if he had ever had an original thought. Liked him okay but he was so up-tight he squeaked when he walked. Just a tad:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=53COKoSus0Q

Did well in the corporation, considering. Wonder if he actually ever secretly figured it all out - or was the anxiety just too strong in this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 12:44AM by zenjamin.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 03:24AM

Regarding the practice of Native Americans / Native North Americans combining English words to create names, my dad and father-in-law are both Gordon Lightfoot fans, I went once to a concert with them. Lightfoot shared with the audience during the concert that his name originated in Scotland, but that people often assume the name is of Native American origin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 03:25AM by scmd1.

Date: May 17, 2018 03:30AM

Interesting. And here I've just always thought of him as Canadian.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:53PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Interesting. And here I've just always thought of
> him as Canadian.

He's a Canadian of Scottish descent, which is far from uncommon in eastern Canada.

Date: May 18, 2018 06:08PM

And as a good Canadian, he eats a strictly Canadian diet!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:05PM

He was in charge of Logan Temple in the mid 2000s. And did a lot of presiding and lots of special meetings in Cache Valley years ago. He's well thought of in N. Utah

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:48PM

my super MORmON uncle did some time in Texas when Vaughan was in Texas too. My Uncle was really impressed with Vaughan F. Of course my uncle .....well, I am trying to stop short of calling him an A$$ Hole, but the fact remains that he is the kind of person that I do NOT want to be around, because EVERYTHING in his life revolved around his MORmON religion, which is super BORING !!! and then my uncle was totally infatuated with people (MORmONS) like Vaughan F who really was an A$$ Hole from what I heard about him.

Vaughan F. was open about his political ambitions and aspirations relative to achieving leadership/ leadershit status in THE (MORmON) church, which was supposed to be big "NO NO" in my family, as in being very much like telling THE lord what to do, but somehow my uncle had to give a vaughan a pass on that ....because Vaughan was higher up in THE ( MORmON) church. Vaughan was demanding and condescending. He made comments that faithful MORmONS would not be having certain (financial) problems because THE lord would be blessing them beyond such trials, ..... because after all look at how financially SUCK-CESS full that most LD$ Inc leaders are as proof. My uncle repeated some of the demanding condescending stuff that Vaughan had said. I could only think "sounds exactly like the kind of Super arrogant MORmONS that I have learned to really dislike (DESPISE) and do NOT want to be around". I was TBM at the time too, but on a definite out bound trajectory. I look back at self impressed guys like McConkie and Mark Petersen ..... and Vaughan F. and they completely disgust and repulse me. and since my Super MORmON uncle was so interested in emulating such people, I am NOT that fond of him either.

Date: May 21, 2018 12:04PM

smirkorama Wrote:
> I look
> back at self impressed guys like McConkie and Mark
> Petersen ..... and Vaughan F. and they completely
> disgust and repulse me. and since my Super MORmON
> uncle was so interested in emulating such people,
> I am NOT that fond of him either.

Something I've noticed in ditching Mormonism. I don't have to be around a lot of people I used to and disliked a lot. Every Sunday I had some sort of somebody I disliked that I had to deal with. Now it is a rare Sunday indeed when I have to...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.